W+P my letter to them. (Are you going to the 2010 Show Poll)

rambo1969

Are you going to the 2010 W&P Show  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to the 2010 W&P Show

• Yes, as an Exhibitor (MV & Living History or friend of...)
    • Yes, as Paying Public (inc public camping)
    • Yes, As a trader
    • No, I don't like the facilities
    • No, Too far to travel
    • No, No particular reason
    • No, because I won't Pay as an Exhibitor
    • Never been, will try it one day
    • Never Been, No opinion

A few of these types will get in any large gathering, it is their living after all, and they are good at it, you can't blame the organizers.

Both shows are amazing and well worth a visit at least once, the chances of meeting pikies or trouble are very slight and the chance to enjoy yourself immensely should not be missed.

I agree whole heartedly with you great bearded Scammell Explorer guru !:-D

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack made the point much earlier that if you don't like W&P you do not have to go - which is exactly what I have decided. It's not the £25 that I complained about - but the total lack of consideration some people have for others and the complete lack of control the organisers have over these types. Last year I had the all night party banging on till 5am Sunday. I did phone the duty person at W&P to complain about the party, the gunfire after midnight and drunk drivers wizzing past my tent but nothing was done about it!

Sadly some people think W&P should be all about getting blind drunk and doing what they dam well want and F*** anyone else who gets in their way or spoils their fun. The trouble is they are spoiling my fun too. Having no sleep is very dangerous for people who have to drive a long way home, like me who was dropping off a friend on the way.

I am not a killjoy but ALL NIGHT music is a bit much and as for those drunk drivers, one day you will drive in to someones tent and kill the occupants. This kind of thing is not tolerated at MVT shows, so why let it happen at W & P.

Until the W&P management sort this out I won't be going any longer.

Edited by LarryH57

Hi Guys

I have attended the War & Peace Show as a day visitor several times and it seems to me that you all have some very real concerns.

Driving around the show after hours while under the influence is dangerous enough, but how many people take to the ring during the day still over the limit after an evening's merriment?

Why not recomend to Rex that he invites a police officer with a breathalizer to check everyone driving entering the ring - or is that an intervention to far?

I'm sure the Kent police would be delighted to have the chance to get their drink-driving and unfit to drive figures up. Although it may somewhat diminish the numbers of attendees in the following years.

To be honest, with the sort of kit people own at the show and on the stalls (all types of deac) I'm amazed they don't have 24hr mobile security on site for the whole week. They should have at least 4 mobile teams patroling the site all night.

As a trader I have to agree with that............

Frankly W+P needs a paid uniform Police presence and over time seeing people get cuffed and stuffed will sort things out dramatically. It would have to be paid for as no area police commander would commit resources and deny his normal patch service.

It has obviously got a reputation for a lawless zone of fun for the undesirables.

Set an example sensibly and it will all calm down, if it isnt handled that way there will be a death or two and then your health and safety and insurance people will shut it down.

Robin

It has obviously got a reputation for a lawless zone of fun for the undesirables.

Only from what you read, it's nowhere near as bad as it's being portrayed here, don't you think it would of been shut down years ago if it was & the police would pay a greater interest with out even asking them, also most of those complaining would stop going if it was that bad.

I would say to anyone who hasn't been before to try it for themselves before commenting on the show....

Only from what you read, it's nowhere near as bad as it's being portrayed here, don't you think it would of been shut down years ago if it was & the police would pay a greater interest with out even asking them, also most of those complaining would stop going if it was that bad.

I would say to anyone who hasn't been before to try it for themselves before commenting on the show....

Well said.

Well said.

Agreed!

I've been going since 2006 so, in relative terms to most here still a newbie BUT - I always enjoy my time there. Nowhere else can I go and see BRDMS's, T55's, T72's, Cheiftains, Centurions, Antars, Mk 1 and Mk3 Militants, RL's and MK/MJ's and all the other diverse form of MV's from WW1 to current times plus people I am pleased to be able to call friends from all over Europe, not just the UK.

Not to mention the fun to be had in the arena showing the crowds what the Stalwart and OT can do - sometimes in direct contradiction of what the announcer is telling them!! :)

Yes, there are problems with services and underage/inebriated driving after hours - but not as bad as one would think reading this thread. And, IMHO, the atmosphere more than makes up for it....

I'm looking forwards to the 2010 show already - and I hope, again to see many of the HMVF crew there.

Agreed!

I've been going since 2006 so, in relative terms to most here still a newbie BUT - I always enjoy my time there. Nowhere else can I go and see BRDMS's, T55's, T72's, Cheiftains, Centurions, Antars, Mk 1 and Mk3 Militants, RL's and MK/MJ's and all the other diverse form of MV's from WW1 to current times plus people I am pleased to be able to call friends from all over Europe, not just the UK.

Not to mention the fun to be had in the arena showing the crowds what the Stalwart and OT can do - sometimes in direct contradiction of what the announcer is telling them!! :)

Yes, there are problems with services and underage/inebriated driving after hours - but not as bad as one would think reading this thread. And, IMHO, the atmosphere more than makes up for it....

I'm looking forwards to the 2010 show already - and I hope, again to see many of the HMVF crew there.

Pretty much sums it up.

But improvements CAN and SHOULD always be made in any service :) Complacency and not listening to feedback and constantly and relentlessly inplementing them can kill giants.........

Edited by Jack

Pretty much sums it up.

But improvements CAN and SHOULD always be made in any service :) Complacency and not listening to feedback and constantly and relentlessly inplementing them can kill giants.........

Again agreed!!

That which does not change stagnates and dies....

That which adapts and changes to suit changing conditions survives and thrives.

It will be interesting to see if the concerns raised in this thread are listened to in 2010 and changes made. I would like to think they will be.

On this note - any other member of IMPS note the comments on the issues at W&P in the article in the latest mag???

Frankly, since I went in 1997 and then again in 2000 there was a degradation between the two.

It is inconceivable over on this side of the pond in the colonies that such a large event would not be better managed.

I'm not saying that Messrs Cadman and team are not trying to do their best, im just saying it could be improved. If they listen to comments and have an after action review each year with stakeholders such as the vendors and attendees and clubs then the event will continue to evolve and grow.

You still cant convince me there is a is a need for vehicles to be rip roaring around late at night?

I think a divided "quiet" and not quiet camping would be better but likely difficult to arrange on that scale.

Robin

I think a divided "quiet" and not quiet camping would be better but likely difficult to arrange on that scale.

Robin

There is Quiet camping & there has been for years... also the new field (little Monktons) is fairly quite too...

I think the show has grown quite a bit in the 9years since you have been..

Personally I think the problems a overly exaggerated here... as I said if it was that bad people wouldn't keep going back & the numbers attending (exhibitors) wouldn't keep going up each year, every year for the last few they have run out of space, they had to open up an additional field again this year at the last minute...

Police are not always the answer, they often have there own aggenda. But good quality security is much better and cheaper so you can have more bodies.

Agree, been saying for years that some sort of 24/7 security which is contactable by phone would be nice, for traders and campers alike.

TBH, I have had some great times, met wonderful people, and have fantastic memories at w+p, maybe thats why I feel frustrated at the way the show is going.

I would like to see w+p continue, all it needs is a few small changes.

I met some nice people in the 2nd year I we went. They have been friends for some 9 years now. James even came over to the Netherlands for the commemorations in Sept for the past 3 years.

Through the forum I know many people and its great to meet them in person.

So for me W&P is a great venue to meet brits who I wouldn't have met here.

More people each year should see better profits and better facilites. Ihave never paid to enter WP show, As I usually full under brackets to not warrent entry fees. But I feel the rules are bent and ignored to suit the big players in the MV ownership circle, people in/on vehicles drunk/underage is NOT acceptable. Quick enough to jump on people selling things they should be not etc(certain stalls) but ignore kids on bikes/cars/drunks Its a SO CALLED public highway covered area.. yeah right,its a free for all do what you like.

I only attended this year for a day, and my attendance will also be less year to year, as I do not want to stay with such ****e showers/toilets & idiots driving without lights and drunk with vehicles covered in people which do not have the seats to cope!

This year Bunker bash is my big visit list, WP is a day visit only.. and I wont be paying! thats for sure... lining a certain persons pockets to buy another New Landrover Discovery with private plate.. its all about money, its not about the MV's anymore

I would rather attend a show with people who listen and care! as well as camp there themselves than line the pockets of the rich

I walked into the main toilets on the Saturday night and there was poo all over the seat and on the floor.

Playing devils avocate for a mo' - thats not down to the organisers, thats down to the animals who don't know how/can't be ar*ed to use a loo properly!!! :argh: :argh:

Playing devils avocate for a mo' - thats not down to the organisers, thats down to the animals who don't know how/can't be ar*ed to use a loo properly!!! :argh: :argh:

Agree to a certain extent, but, if the the toilets are not cleaned regular, they will get into a state!