BSA M20

Jack

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we take it that in some masochistic way you enjoy a bruised butt Richard?

:??? what I meant was, that I had not ridden a Harley, nor had any wish to. Have worked on one though, hence my reference to a Rotavator.

I am wondering why you keep asking so many strange questions, you seem to know about motorcycles and sidecars, but had to ask the meaning of "B.S.A.".

I think that Jack has been thinking about an m20 for some time as it has been mentioned before so if he needs any info I am sure Richard can pass it on to him,although I have no experience of Harleys I am sure they must have some good points as there have been more than a few built over the years and asfor rotavators dont forget that an M20 engine with a head transposed by 90 degrees was used to power some many years ago so if you find an m20 head with the fins running side to side instead of back to front that is what you have.

If the truck is going then maybe it is time for the purchase of the m20 you have promised yourself,at least with bikes your loss of storage is easily sorted,go and buy a shed.

Just imagine it Jack full dispatch rider kit ,thumping m20 and you leading a column of ww2 armour into Dorchester

Nigel

DO NOT TEMPT ME..............please

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks, myself and another member need to obtain new clutch plates for our BSA M20 motorcycles........ we are located in North Staffordshire, does anyone know of a good supplier? Thank you in anticipation.

Ray.:kissoncheek:

Hi Folks, myself and another member need to obtain new clutch plates for our BSA M20 motorcycles........ we are located in North Staffordshire, does anyone know of a good supplier? Thank you in anticipation.

Ray,

Just a bit of advice, from experience I had a couple of times when rebuilding M20 clutches. Be wary of pattern plates, both plain and bonded, they are often slightly thicker than original BSA ones and by the time you have got the correct number in, the error has accumulated to the point that the spring is difficult to fit and clutch will not release enough for plates to be free.

I always find a good starting point for any m20 parts is to call Ian Wright at Ark Motorcycles on 01822 840372,he is a well known m20 expert and restorer and is always very helpful

Nigel

Ray,

Just a bit of advice, from experience I had a couple of times when rebuilding M20 clutches. Be wary of pattern plates, both plain and bonded, they are often slightly thicker than original BSA ones and by the time you have got the correct number in, the error has accumulated to the point that the spring is difficult to fit and clutch will not release enough for plates to be free.

Thank you very much for that advice, we have done the clutch on our M20 before, but only to clean oil from the plates......... we had so much trouble at that time reassembling the clutch, we certainly would not want to struggle with the wrong plates........... thanks a million.

I always find a good starting point for any m20 parts is to call Ian Wright at Ark Motorcycles on 01822 840372,he is a well known m20 expert and restorer and is always very helpful

Nigel

Thank you very much for that information, will make the call.

Regards. Ray.:kissoncheek:

I Have just replaced my M20 clutch with a modern clutch set up (wet plates i.e no need to worry about oil ingress), works very well and very easy to put together, the parts are well made would highly recommend it, i ran the same plates in my Indian and it transformed the ride.

http://www.thb-support.nl/images/Manuel(E).pdf

Baz

Edited by RMS

I Have just replaced my M20 clutch with a modern clutch set up (wet plates i.e no need to worry about oil ingress), works very well and very easy to put together, the parts are well made would highly recommend it, i ran the same plates in my Indian and it transformed the ride.

http://www.thb-support.nl/images/Manuel(E).pdf

Baz

Thank you very much for that snippit of information, I think that thats the way to go..... Cheers, Ray.:kissoncheek:

• 2 months later...

Anyone got any pdf reading material for BSA M20's

Saw a cheap one in pieces over here last month but never bought it, as having the Pinzgauer project was enough and my life had some plan or direction.

Having been away 5 weeks and got home early this morning I am rering my life and plan. I found out a few days ago that the wife had emptied the bank accounts and run off with somone she met on the internet. A bit of a shock as only a day earlier we were planning stuff to do when I got back today. So completely devestated but am now on the local forums over here looking for a BSA M20 in pieces that I can rebuild on the sofa

Saw a cheap one in pieces over here last month but never bought it, as having the Pinzgauer project was enough and my life had some plan or direction.

Having been away 5 weeks and got home early this morning I am rering my life and plan. I found out a few days ago that the wife had emptied the bank accounts and run off with somone she met on the internet. A bit of a shock as only a day earlier we were planning stuff to do when I got back today. So completely devestated but am now on the local forums over here looking for a BSA M20 in pieces that I can rebuild on the sofa

Sorry to hear that, I know what its like! Someone once said to me that "women are like apes, dont let go of one branch until they have a good grip on the next".(Still going through the angry stage). Look after yourself and enjoy that bike. I once rebuilt a 1968 Bonnie in my third floor flat and kept it in the flat until I moved! (no engine oil!)

Edited by Mk3iain

not nice mate,

please accept my wishes for your future.

Good luck with the bike

Mark

the forum is behind you all the way

I have used a Rotavator, is'nt that similar?

Not really, after 40mph its like using a Jack Hammer...... but what fun, I have an M20, royal Enfield WD CO 350, Harley Davidson WLC and a civvy Indian built R.E. Bullet, the Bullet has been extensively transformed by a classic bike firm to represent a 50s bike, I do however much prefere to ride the military bikes, perhaps its all that chrome that puts me off!!!!!!!:kissoncheek:

Maybe this one if pay day is ok

then have to work out how to dechrome it

[ATTACH]28501[/ATTACH]

Just leave it out in the British weather!!!!!! that should do it. Good luck, I hope that you have a good pay day.:kissoncheek:

They sure are bantams! They're only single cylinders for a start, and they have plunger forks, whereas most M20's have girder forks.

Tom

True, they are Bantams - but M20's only have one cylinder as well. All wartime M20's had girders and the rigid back end. A very different beast to those Bantys.

Fesm_ndt, I reckon if you are still at the point on the learning curve that you aren't aware of the big differences between them, then when viewing you ought to take a mate along who does :) Could save you being taken for a bad ride. (As if the M20 isn't bad enough!)

True, they are Bantams - but M20's only have one cylinder as well. All wartime M20's had girders and the rigid back end. A very different beast to those Bantys.

Fesm_ndt, I reckon if you are still at the point on the learning curve that you aren't aware of the big differences between them, then when viewing you ought to take a mate along who does :) Could save you being taken for a bad ride. (As if the M20 isn't bad enough!)

The Bantam was a 50s 2stroke 125cc bike used in great numbers by Post Office telegram boys.........only a baby compared with the M20. You really must take someone with you on any potential purchases, you could be well stitched up........ the bikes in the photo are Bantams.