A&E The Routes.........

Have just come back after spending the day in a meeting over at Maiden Newton. We spent the day working out the routes for the armour and softskins into Dorchester. And for the softskin run on the Friday. The one way system from the camp means you enter near enough in the centre of the village.

We then drove the armour route and wow it is perfect and should include some off roading too. We planned to pass through as many of the old villages as we can - as would of happened on the build up to D-Day. We plan to stop at one of the wading/waterproofing tanks that was used to waterproof all D-Day vehicles, a very very rare piece of history.

More to come as it comes together but we will end up in the middle of Dorchester for the crowds to come and see us before we drive through and around the town...............:-D:-D Just too amazing. Dorchester will be full of thousands of people as it is Carnival day.

I can simply say that this is going to be something very very special- it will be the event or I should say, the experience of 2010. The BBC will be with us. In theory the Piper Cub will have a cameraman with him for those aerial shots -found an airstrip for him today.

BUT (there is always one of those)I think I am going to have to cap the amount of armour and softskins that attend - so I may close the list pretty soon. So if you want to be part of this then you best put your name down now.

Best wishes,

Jack.

Edited by Jack

Jack, first of all thank you for all the hard work you are putting into this, I know its your baby but none the less you have enough on your plate with everything else, so please a massive :kissoncheek: and a :hug: from me!!!!!! How exciting, it looks like its going to be a weekend and a half!

Can me and R-cubed be first in the convoys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D:):yay::-D:):yay::rofl::rofl:

My Dad will be joining us for the weekend, he is not a member (I dont think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but I know he browses the forum (:yay: hello Dad!) he is looking forward to it as well.

Hey thanks Rosie but no need to thank me - there is no 'I' in team :) this is all about fun and being able to do something different, exciting and challenging. I have a plan for R Cubed, his GMC and his 105....

With regards to your dad then not a problem as this is open to all, members or not :)

hmmmmmmmmm plans hey!!!!!!! will it make him rich? will I appear on national telly? do I need to practice my autograph?

only joking Jack but I am serious when I say thank you, having been involved in organising a show I know the hard work involved, something like this is a real nightmare to sort out so I stand by my original post :) big thumbs up to YOU AND THE TEAM

• 2 months later...

Kev and I have just come back from driving the armour route again - I dare say will be doing this another 100 times :wow:

But we are going to make some changes to the Saturday event and will post up once I have cleared it all in my head...:-D The changes are too ensure everyone gets the maximum experience and fun and lasting memories from it!

I need a holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at the Armour list on the A&E website, is it up to date?

Either way, what is the traveling order going to be? It came to mind that it would be a nice touch to try and roll it through in the way everything was 'supposed' to work in 1944, i.e: Recon Vehicles first (Armoured cars and Light tanks), then the main armour and Tank Destroyers intermingled with some infantry on 1/2 tracks if you like, Artillery both SP and towed followed by the Engineers for recovery. It would also build up the atmosphere in town as people saw the first vehicles coming in, but could only hear the tanks at first.

Of course we could follow British army tradition: Send the Armour in first and have a Tiger waiting in Dorchester to take them out!

• 2 weeks later...
I was just looking at the Armour list on the A&E website, is it up to date?

Either way, what is the traveling order going to be? It came to mind that it would be a nice touch to try and roll it through in the way everything was 'supposed' to work in 1944, i.e: Recon Vehicles first (Armoured cars and Light tanks), then the main armour and Tank Destroyers intermingled with some infantry on 1/2 tracks if you like, Artillery both SP and towed followed by the Engineers for recovery. It would also build up the atmosphere in town as people saw the first vehicles coming in, but could only hear the tanks at first.

Of course we could follow British army tradition: Send the Armour in first and have a Tiger waiting in Dorchester to take them out!

Cracking idea Alistair and I will get Kev on it! Apologies for the slow updates but the season seems of started early for us here at Pathfinder and I am having trouble with the editor and the graphic designer of TPM.....surely no holiday pay is a good thing isn't it?

Cracking idea Alistair and I will get Kev on it! Apologies for the slow updates but the season seems of started early for us here at Pathfinder and I am having trouble with the editor and the graphic designer of TPM.....surely no holiday pay is a good thing isn't it?

Have a care sir, I have you in my eye :captain:

I would like to come with Valentine DD but still have to resolve transport costs: Can you pencil me in and I will just have to accept being pushed off the list if someone else comes along and wants my slot before my funding is fixed?

Four points/queries about the armour route:

Do you have a cast iron guarantee that some council jobsworth will not stand in front of steel tracked vehicles on the day and prevent them taking part?

How far is the route (and what breakdown/recovery will be available, just in case...)

Do you have roadsweepers arranged for the bit of road immediately after the cross country part? Cannot guarantee good weather!

Will you have fuel supplies on site?