RAF service numbers

agripper

I know that prior to the war and upto the 50's that there was a meaning for the first few digits and of a RAF service number. What I want to know and have been unable to find out s is there any meaning to the letters used in the service numbers.

Gotcha yes there is a meaning to the number but not the letter.

I joined in 64 as a craft apprentice; we continued the old Boy Entrants numbers which were 19*****. Halton were attested 48 hours before us at Locking the first number issued to the Entry there was 1960000 when the letters were issued some time later 1960000 would have got A 1960001 would have got B etc etc. Some letters were not used. I was the alphabetically the first in the block of numbers allocated to Locking when the numbers were introduced I was A . Looking at your number and your mate's he should have been P as O was not used.

I will ask my daughter in law if she knows she was at PMA for several years.

At the time the letter was added we were told it was to make our service numbers compatible with a computor system being introduced at Records later known as PMA

TED

It sounds as if the letter is simply a computer check letter intended to pick up on simple input errors. The chance of a number entered wrongly having the same check letter is not very high so the input would be rejected rather than being entered on somebody else's records.

• 2 years later...
It sounds as if the letter is simply a computer check letter intended to pick up on simple input errors. The chance of a number entered wrongly having the same check letter is not very high so the input would be rejected rather than being entered on somebody else's records.

When I joined in 1964 it was purely numeric, as the first computer based system came at PMC which was late 65 or early 66, we each got a letter mine was A the lad with the next number to mine was B and so on.

TED

WAAF/WRAF numbers were preceded by a "W" to denote a woman's number.

Not correct --Females had there own blocks of numbers and in late 65 or early 66 they too were allocated a prefix letter alphabetically in service number order at the same time as the men's numbers were amended.

The project was also to do with a joint service ID card which on the reverse had a joint service air trooping card- needless to say that project failed !!

TED

Ay, the letter was added as a computer check, when they came out in mid sixties. An explanation was given with long complicated formula of multiplying adding and subtracting bits of the service number to come up with an answer that correspondes to a letter. I cannot remember the exact sums, but it did work as dozens of NAFFI beer mats were scribbled on.

BillyH..

C o C W C S

Sorry, not entirely sure what you mean. Do you mean the letters weren't added until the sixties?

I can assure you that wartime ATS/WAAF/WRNS service numbers were prefixed with a letter W, That's a fact. And I have many items of uniform with the owners number marked in to back it up.

I only added WRAF as I felt sure my Mother in law said her number had a W infront in the sixties.

Sorry, not entirely sure what you mean. Do you mean the letters weren't added until the sixties?

I can assure you that wartime ATS/WAAF/WRNS service numbers were prefixed with a letter W, That's a fact. And I have many items of uniform with the owners number marked in to back it up.

I only added WRAF as I felt sure my Mother in law said her number had a W infront in the sixties.

I am talking 1965/6 All RAF and WRAF had a prefix letter added- previously RAF/WRAF numbers had been purely numeric;

Turning to WW2 -looking on a CWGC site giving lists of female deaths WAAF did not have a prefix letter but ATS did.

TED

Edited by ted angus

In the mid sixties a letter was added to RAF service numbers as an entry check..All numbers were 7 digits long.

Now.

Multiply the first digit by 8

second by 17

third by 4

forth by 16

fifth by 2

sixth by 13

seventh by 5

Add em all up answer A

Divide A by 23

Get rid of all the decimal places and multiply by 23. this is answer B

l

Subtract B from A

Answer C is a letter of the alphabet, exclude Oscar and India. Zero =A, 1=B etc. Hope this helps. BillyH

• 3 weeks later...
I am talking 1965/6 All RAF and WRAF had a prefix letter added- previously RAF/WRAF numbers had been purely numeric;

Turning to WW2 -looking on a CWGC site giving lists of female deaths WAAF did not have a prefix letter but ATS did.

TED

I've not noticed that about the CWGC. I can however re-iterate that surviving WAAF numbered Items from WW2 do have a W prefix. I've seen caps, tunics, & paybooks all done so.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...