MJ alternative gearbox

HRE

Question

9 answers to this question

Is it possible (and simple) to fit a Five speed box from a TK (or tl or wahatever) to an MJ?

This is a question I've been thinking of. A guy I spoke to at Trucks and Troops with an RL said he had a Turner 5 speed gearbox fitted to his truck and he reckons it did 50mph comfortably.

I know Turner do LR boxes but didn't know they did Bedford's. What 5 speed gearbox would be a straight fit onto the Bedford. If I could get 60mph I'd be more than happy, even 56mph. Beats having every artic overtaking you all the time and would actually be safer.

This is a question I've been thinking of. A guy I spoke to at Trucks and Troops with an RL said he had a Turner 5 speed gearbox fitted to his truck and he reckons it did 50mph comfortably.

I know Turner do LR boxes but didn't know they did Bedford's. What 5 speed gearbox would be a straight fit onto the Bedford. If I could get 60mph I'd be more than happy, even 56mph. Beats having every artic overtaking you all the time and would actually be safer.

Turner 5-speed boxes were an option on civilian Bedford TK and coaches.

When Bedford ceased making MJ, the Army had a contract with AWD-Bedford for further MJ trucks. These were identical except for a new badge on the front........but, the gearbox and transfer boxes had plates attached with Turner on them. I seem to recall that Turner may have bought the manufacturing rights from Bedford.

Turner 5-speed boxes were an option on civilian Bedford TK and coaches.

When Bedford ceased making MJ, the Army had a contract with AWD-Bedford for further MJ trucks. These were identical except for a new badge on the front........but, the gearbox and transfer boxes had plates attached with Turner on them. I seem to recall that Turner may have bought the manufacturing rights from Bedford.

That's interesting. Do you know what these gearboxes are like and do any come up for sale that you know of? Would the Military transfer box "hold back" the performance of the turner?

They are a nice gearbox to use, choice of overdrive 5th or direct 5th. If you went for a direct top you get a closer spread of gears which will allow good performance.

Obviously the o.d. top will give you better max. speed, but if your truck struggles to get into top in the 4 speed box it will have an even bigger problem making headway in 5th!!

It all depends what you use the truck for - if you get on fine with the 4 speed and just want a faster cruising speed - go for the overdrive 5th.

If you want better slow speed peformance in difficult conditions - go direct top.

Am I right in thinking the the Bedford flywheel housing or bellhousing needs changing too, as mounting studs for Turner box don't match those of the 4 speed?

Given that my Bedford struggled to make much over 50mph on the standard 4 speed box I think an overdrive 5th would be a waste of time unless you've got the extra power of the 8 litre turbo engine fitted to some MJ's.

I believe the five speed box was fitted as standard to these.

The closer ratios of the direct top five speed may be useful if you do a lot of towing or live in a hilly area.