105mm Pack Howitzer

It may be scrap in her eyes Rob, but its also a pension fund....................

Funny you should say that,I work for Balfour Beatty on the North Yorkshire County Council Contract and I am a street mason by trade ( lay kerbs,flags,cobbles etc) last year we were asked to pay more into our pension funds to cover the present short fall ,after thinking about it for a while I decided to stop paying all together.

If the local authorities can't afford to pay pensions now who is going to pay my pension in 30 years time (if i live that long ).

Soooooo I plough what ever I can afford into my Collection,atleast then I have assets and inheritance for my two children.

I'd better stop ranting !

Cheers

Rob...............................rnixartillery

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say that,I work for Balfour Beatty on the North Yorkshire County Council Contract and I am a street mason by trade ( lay kerbs,flags,cobbles etc) last year we were asked to pay more into our pension funds to cover the present short fall ,after thinking about it for a while I decided to stop paying all together.

If the local authorities can't afford to pay pensions now who is going to pay my pension in 30 years time (if i live that long ).

Soooooo I plough what ever I can afford into my Collection,atleast then I have assets and inheritance for my two children.

I'd better stop ranting !

Cheers

Rob...............................rnixartillery

I hope that works out OK for you Rob. My Dad had a similar idea when he ran his own Gunshop. He had accumulated a HUGE amount of the very BEST condition handguns for his pension fund. Then the Lovely Government in it's Ill thought out wisdom, decided to Ban all handguns. He duly applied for a Sec.5 Dealers cert. got down to a week before the ban came into effect & no Sec5 yet. Booked a WHOLE day at a local Police station to hand it all in for 'Compensation' (SIC) HUNDEREDS of rare items, Long barrlled Artillery Lugers, Mausers Broom handles with matching stocks Etc, Etc. 3 days later sec5 licence arrives. Asks Police if he can legally get back all his items. NO way says Police! result: He lost over 35 Thousand quid in the value of thier true worth. With todays value of the stuff, even as Deacts. In runs into much more! Needless to say, he thinks VERY highly of our Governments! (Along with a LOT of other handgun affectionardos) And the impact on so called Armed crime has been virtually NIL!!!!!:-(

There was an L118 in a re enactors camp at W&P this year, it looked like it was in private hands, got a photo of it somewhere.

There was also a deactivated L119 sold in the States...no doubt mega money.:embarrassed:

The Light gun belongs to Battle front ( East England Military Museum ) They have taken it to W&P a few times in the past,the L119 that the Cannon super store in the States has sold recently was not badly priced but when you add shipping and duty etc it does start to get expensive.

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

I am sure I saw a light gun at the Muckleburgh Collection, in Norfolk.

How do museums get these items, are they donated by the MOD?

Michael Savory has friends in very high places and he has also been in the game for a long time .

He has scourced vehicles and Artillery from across the world .

We are trying to contact on old dealer ( Ian McGregor ) who went out of the business years back.

This is in relation to a project Michael is currently planning.

Rob......................rnixartillery.

I am sure I saw a light gun at the Muckleburgh Collection, in Norfolk.

How do museums get these items, are they donated by the MOD?

There are a few ways museums get kit. Somewhere like the Tank Museum developed gradually with vehicles which became obsolete, or trials and evaluation, with a sprinkling of collecting after ww2. Then the idea of people other than military might actually be interested, so collecting policies are developed. IWM developed as a recogntion of British military 'history' but now something completely different.

In a process of osmosis, people think "i'll donate that to my regimental museum (s)". Sometimes QM's wrote it off as a donation to the museum, as it was probably broke.

The MOD and now the DSA try to squeeze every penny back, so hence Withams/Jacksons et al. Also sales overseas to 'Mustapha Leak' can act as sales and a sop to have a link for their oil etc. Uk one of the five top arms sellers, so generally a ready market.

When museums are full, disposal lists are circulated, and collections go to accredited museums. Such as the R.A. list 2008--anybody want a V-1 Launch Ramp.

Or what happens when a collection closes such as Beverley, distributed repsonsibily, sometimes? Will that happen when REME closes to go to St. Athan?

And obviously contacts and cash. Museums love rich benefactors and supporters. i.e.e, Lord V.C collector.

Although this thread is getting away from its origin I must add there is a Great difference between museums registered as charities,government funded etc and Private museums and collections.

There is no help for the private collector ,every thing has to be sourced ,bought, restored and paid for .I have much more respect and admiration for the handfull of private funded museums and collections.

Rob ..........................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

Although this thread is getting away from its origin I must add there is a Great difference between museums registered as charities,government funded etc and Private museums and collections.

There is no help for the private collector ,every thing has to be sourced ,bought, restored and paid for .I have much more respect and amiration for the handfull of private funded museums and collections.

Rob ..........................rnixartillery.

Yes agree, wasn't trying to big-up regimental or the funded ones. Having seen the 'insides' of some they are a disgrace. Many regimental museums are literally tea-chests stored at a T.A. Centre. Or if council run, no idea about the history.

I did hear about one museum, in a bit of financial bother, one of the business brains suggested selling a V.C., to pay off the debts.

"Will that happen when REME closes to go to St. Athan?"

I thought this was one of the projects axed in the Defense White Paper.

Not sure about the true ownership of the R.E.M.E Vehicle collection at S.E.M.E Bordon. I know that Vosper thornycroft now own this training establishment. When I worked in the Defense Manufacturing sector. My then Boss was on the phone one morning to someone from a company (I forget which one) who ORIGINALY bid & won on S.E.M.E. One of the points that he mentioned to me at that time was a qoute from the guy in question. 'Yes we put a bid in & won, & we got a Museum thrown in the deal'! (Refering to the vehicle collection held in 'B' Sheds) Without talking to Roger Jones the collections Curator there. I cannot confirm what will be this collections future? I know the Corps Museum at Arborfield originally owned the collection & has access to it. But I cannot confirm what the current future holds for this magnificent gathering of Corps Collated Vehicles.

The last i heard, before the new Govt., got in and then the major cost cutting got underway. That it was proposed to house REME, Logistics Corps and potentially Signals Museum at St. Athan. New buidlings were being erected, but with no space such as REME has at the moment. Also, and this is pure heresay, that anybody who didn't want to go to St. Athan from REME museum would lose their job.

Signals have some reprieve I believe as sig., units return from germany will go to blandford.

Added to the (staff) cost cutting at Duxford, the knock-on effect of storage, that vehicles were going to be disposed of. As everyody knows, they do take up a lot of space. And surprisingly, some people are not particularly interested in history, vehicles etc. see Beverley Military Transport Museum.

I hope I am wrong and somebody from those establishments may be able to up-date.

I would be most interested to be kept updated as to the fate of the vehicle section of the museum. As far as I know, ONLY Roger Jones is at S.E.M.E looking after the veh collection.

The main Corps Museum is staying at arborfield AFAIK, they have recently had a large grant & extended the building & displays. I doubt this will move, it's on the site of the Corps Old basic training Depot. I have 'Fond' ?? Memroies of doing my Basic there befor being posted to S.E.M.E Bordon for Trade Training. Happy days!...............

"Will that happen when REME closes to go to St. Athan?"

I thought this was one of the projects axed in the Defense White Paper.

Damn. I threw away a clipping this morning. Worthy Down (north of Winchester) has managed to avoid any cutbacks. The article mentioned that WD lost out to St Athan on a megabucks project a couple of years ago, but that project has now been deep-sixed.

• 1 month later...

As most keen Artillery enthusiasts will know the pack howitzer and its accessories are extremely hard to find in the UK and very expensive.After 6 months negotiation with a fellow Artillery collector from Australia we have come up with a parts trade which involved no parting of cash just the cost of postage .

In return for a load of 5.5 parts I have received the following L5 accessories, Cased charge wheels,two clinometers,two sets of brand new breech and muzzle covers,two dial sight carriers(very hard to find) angle sight carrier,drag rope and some sight planes..Thanks Santa!!!!!!!!

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

DSCF4705.jpg

DSCF4706.jpg

DSCF4708.jpg

DSCF4707.jpg

DSCF4709.jpg

Ok folks,

a question, does anybody know of any 105mm Pack Howitzers in private ownership? I know Helston Gunsmiths had one for sale last year.

Also, are there any 105mm light guns in private ownership

All the best

Mark :cool:

Hi Mark, I was a member of 95 Commando Light Regiment, the sister regiment to 29 CDO.

I was travelling through Hereford last year when I noticed a vehicle pulling a trailer , when I looked into the trailer I saw a 105 stripped down ready for refurbishing. He was heading to the same place as me so I looked in and swapped a few war stories. So there could be a 105 somewhere in the Herefordshire area. The other place I saw one last year was outside the Royal Marine museum in Bournemouth. I hope this was any help to you.

Bob

The other major drawback for the pack How, is, if you read the handbook (I have one) you may only tow it for 20 Miles MAXIMUM! (Stated clearly in the book)

Why, I have no idea, I would have thought that the wheel bearings were up to the job of further milage!

The Handbook shows how they were afixed to the flatbed of Bedford RL trucks for conveying to thier respective firing points.

A lot were Choppered about, slung under Helicoptors. Very quick & efficient deployment method. (Unless you were getting shot at!)

lovely gun, but with the limited milage, a major drawback I would have thought!

Mike. :coffee:

Hi All

Sorry for dragging up this old post but as no seemed to have answered Mike I might be of help.

I am an ex REME gun fitter so I might be able to shed some light on why the Pack Howitzer can only be towed 20 miles. It is worth remembering it was designed to be taken apart easily by gunners. The reason for the 20 miles limit was to stop it being bounced around too much and bits falling off. Frequent stops would be required for any journey over 20 miles to check it was still all there. There is no hope of the REME vehicle following the battery stopping to pick up any bits laying on the road, if all had gone to plan the gun fitter would be fast a kip in the back and the VMs would not recognise the bits in the middle of the road they were avoiding. :)

Hello Spider, So that was the ONLY reason then? Just to check all componants were secure! If that is the case then, I would assume that a private owner who looked after his own gun a lot more diligently. If he ensured all componnats WERE indeed securely affixed, COULD tow an L6 further than the stipulated 20 Miles? As an Armourer myself, I went upto 120mm ON Recoiless A/T Weapons. The Mobat which was towed, didnt have a milage restriction on it. I alwasy wondered why the L6 had this, now I know! Cheers! ;)