Mystery Object No.108

fv1609

This is probably not a soak away as it breaks all the rules governing the design of such things, the broken lines may denote that those parts are hidden, under or behind summat, dunno what though

Whatever flows through would be logical to say it goes from A to B.

Well the trench looks to be a soakaway, as it is deeper than the feeders. The square item at the top appears to be the source of what ever is draining. Might it be something to do with a field kitchen?

Nope, nope, yup.

Sorry for delay it's my bath night, don't want to have wait another week;)

OK - a series of flues leading from heat sources to a central chimney??

Yes Neil well done!

It is a gridiron kitchen (Aldershot pattern). As far as I can work it out. Trenches are dug in the ground. The deep trench is lined with clay & sculptured to fit cooking vessels & kettles, the fires are lit in the tapered 18" sections & the fumes are drawn away up the chimney.

App1459c.jpg

Yes you certainly deserved to score Neil. Let me know if you want the full instructions if you are planning a weekend barbecue for instance. If you can't get any helpers, you'll need to start work on it right now:

App1461.jpg

Well done Neil for getting that one because I am still baffled.

It is a most peculiar setup, I am still failing to understand how a 4inch flue only about 8ft high could possibly create enough draw to pull smoke up 9 pipes each of a larger section, especially as the fires are 12' away from the ends.

How was the flow of smoke ever persuaded to start flowing through the flues instead of straight up like a proper fire?

Did the wind never bow? The slightest cross draught would upset eyery thing.

Even if it did work, what would be the point?

I'm baffled, any one got any thoughts on this?

Full instruction needed please Clive.....

Edited by gritineye