Front restoration of GMC 352

R Cubed

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which ferry are you going on? we are due on the Portsmouth one 4th May. presume it won't fit on the weymouth Vomit comet?
ooooo didnt know you were coming over! Due to weight and length The Cubed one wil be on the Wednesday morning frieght ferry from Portsmouth. Myself and the cubelets will be coming across on Thursday via the Weymouth vomit comet :shocked:

See you over there Tony :-)

Anyone else here going to Guernsey?

ooooo didnt know you were coming over! Due to weight and length The Cubed one wil be on the Wednesday morning frieght ferry from Portsmouth. Myself and the cubelets will be coming across on Thursday via the Weymouth vomit comet :shocked:

See you over there Tony :-)

Anyone else here going to Guernsey?

Er Rosie, I'm going to the proper place. :D

This thread has been brilliant!

I've just purchased a 352 Hard Cab which really needs basically the same treatment as can be seen here, but obviously slightly different as its the closed tin cab with opening doors.

Reading this thread has reminded me again after almost two decades since seeing an open cab in pieces just how much work the job of stripping a GMC cab and doing a proper repair job entails.

All power to your elbow old boy and lets hope you make that ferry!

Tell me about it, taking it apart is no real problem, its the putting back together again after its been all painted, lost count of how many nuts, bolts, washers and spring washers I have used currently at about 8 Ltrs of red oxide etch primer, and 8 Ltrs of eggshell top coat.

I've learned something helping rcubed during this project. I am really glad Chevy 1 1/2 tonners have closed cabs, because open cabs are a bl##dy nightmare!!!

:banghead: :angry

A bit more work tomorrow evening and this Saturday, and I think we'll have it ready for Guernsey. Maybe.

:drive:

Edited by G506

I've learned something helping rcubed during this project. I am really glad Chevy 1 1/2 tonners have closed cabs, because open cabs are a bl##dy nightmare!!!

:banghead: :angry

:drive:

have you tried fitting your doors since welding the cab?:cool2:

have you tried fitting your doors since welding the cab?:cool2:

Good call Baz, drivers side yes, passenger side no!

:eek:

Hi all its me again, have not had time to post been at work then on the truck every day for a couple of weeks now, seem to remember doing this last year with a Dodge !!!

Ok only a couple of days to go now and its all looking good most of the bits are back on still to sort out the wiring and fit the seat boxes and seats, all painting finished now, and its got stars on it have not had them for a couple of years and its all one colour, cant believe its the same truck but you will all see it a some stage I am sure.

Well here are the last bits of the pics for now

More of the cab cowl with the canvas piping supplied by Allied Forces ( thanks again Jim )

Bit of the side of the cab cowl less wings

This is the inside of the cab where the seat bases go and fix to the upright back panel you can see running diagonally through the pic

Now got the cab rear hoop on and windscreen frame in and front wings on.

Side view of cab side and cowl panel

Canvas piping can just be seen between the running board and the back of the front wing

Almost there ......... putting the stars and other white bits on in between the rain..

Going to go to bed for a week now.

IMG_4278r..jpg

IMG_4277r..jpg

IMG_4290r..jpg

IMG_4287r..jpg

IMG_4288r..jpg

IMG_4289r..jpg

IMG_4276r..jpg

I really like the finishing touch of the canvas beading, and will use it myself, but I can't help thinking it acts like a big spongey water trap - any way around this other than to seal the joint on both sides of the canvas with something like silicone?

I really like the finishing touch of the canvas beading, and will use it myself, but I can't help thinking it acts like a big spongey water trap - any way around this other than to seal the joint on both sides of the canvas with something like silicone?

This is exactly the thing which is worrying me, what I have done is to use seam sealer on both side of the canvas beading, the canvas should be water proof ho ho.. we shall see.

I do like the beading down the wing and across the edge of the running board too.

well, thats it folks (for the time being anyway) She is packed, gun all hooked up and ready to roll tomorrow. She does look beautiful must admit :-)

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far (you know who you are!)

Although I have had to share R cubed with his other lady for sometime now, its been worth it!

Of to Guernsey we go :-D:-D:-D

(yes I have had too much chardonnay!)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes the beeding really does finish it off, the whole truck is looking really nice, you should be very please with your self.

Regards Howard

Thanks Howard, there are a few niggley bits which need sorting out but towards the end it was a bit of a rush job, a few corners were cut to get it finished, however the main cab repairs I am well chuffed with and should last for many years !!!