Front restoration of GMC 352

R Cubed

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry chaps, we just finished a 3 (or was it 6?) month front brake overhaul on a WLF...

Hiya Grasshopper,

these things have a tendency of taking longer than planned ! My Triumph resto ended up taking 4 1/2 years!

:eek:

Ok so continuing on, here is the left hand side of the cab floor.

This is the floor before any work, the silvery patches are where some lead filling has been done !!

This bit of the floor bolts up to the main floor part of the cowl panel, just below this part of the floor is a bracing panel and is prone to getting corrosion between the two panels, this is the result.

Here is a view of the underside of the main floor panel, in the process of replacing the lip on the edge of the floor, this is the part of the floor which bolts up the the cab side panel.

Next section of the lip to be welded in place.

This is the front edge of the panel with the reinforcing panel spot welded to the underside, here you can see I have just cut it out.

Once the last bit has been cut out, I put in a new piece to fit.

Under side view of the reinforcing panel, these are handed one for the left side and one for the right side.

Below are a selection of the old and new reinforcing panels

IMG_4217r..jpg

IMG_4218r..jpg

IMG_4216r..jpg

IMG_4145r..jpg

IMG_4214r..jpg

IMG_4228r..jpg

IMG_4220r..jpg

IMG_4231r..jpg

IMG_4224r..jpg

IMG_4222r..jpg

IMG_4144r..jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The truck is coming on really well, those of you who know it so wont recognise it now!!!!!!! Apart from the fact its all one colour :D

The cubed one and G506 have been hard at it. I have all the ingriedients for a full english tomorrow morning at 8am so they can work on full tummys!!! No doubt I will make cakes and sandwiches for them as well, god I'm good!!!!!!!

A big thanks to Jim Clarke for coming up with the goods today, the beading arrived at about 2.30pm :-)

R3, you've got lots of bits of new metal bent at right angles - are you managing to do your own folds or getting a sheet metal company to do this?

Ho ho ho well that would be telling, when I get a chance I will get some pics of how I bend my sheet metal :nut:

dah-dit dit di-dah-dah di-di-dit di-di-dah di-dah-dah-dit dah-di-dit di-dah dah dit

:nut: :nut: :nut: :nut:

Well had G506 come round and help today and got lots more done. I have been hard at sanding and spraying since the last postings, so at the start of today we were at a point to start assembly as paint was tight, I was only spraying the internals and butting surfaces so this is why some pics show red panels.

Jim Clark came good with the cab beading, that arrived on Fri so full steam ahead. Thanks for the speedy delivery of that Jim. :bow:

As a little rest bite from the cab I have been messing around with my crane, in doing so I needed to remove 3 of the rear hood bows, well as you are all aware these can be a bit troublesome to get out, yep you guessed it No2 and No3 from the back caused some resistance to my attempts of just pulling them out like you should :angry so large piece of wood and lots of wacking and bashing..... out they came, the bottoms of the bow uprights were well rotted so off to the timber merchants where I bought 2 planks of American red oak which was enough to produce 10 uprights for the 5 bows.

Here is my temporary work bench with a nice bit of oak on it.

Out with my trusty circular saw, do you recognise what it is !

Here are the cut pieces just a bit of planing and painting they will be fit for service.

IMG_4246r..jpg

IMG_4244r..jpg

IMG_4243r..jpg

Right back to the job in hand. Below is a pic of the rear tailgate before paint.

Bit tatty so here we go.

Good bit of rubbing down and several coats of red oxide and then some green..

Here is the repaired main floor panel, the bit leaning up against the truck, the long thin panel just infront of that is the seat rear support panel, this is new as the old one had rotted out along the bottom of it, then there are the two seat boxes for the driver and passenger.

Here you can see the cab back and cab support rails just above the main chassis rails, these support the cab floor and mount the whole cab in only 3 positions, one at the front of each rail and the 3 is in the centre of the rear panel above a chassis cross member.

Here we lifted the cab cowl up and over the the steering column and pedals then lowered down into position on the cab support rails, then we positioned the floor ready to be bolted in to the correct place.

NOTE:

Sequence for reassembly back panel, cab support rails, cab cowl, floor, cab sides, then seat base back panel ( if you bolt this to the floor first before the sides you have to then remove the bolts and remove the seat back panel so you can angle the side panels in on the main rear panel.

Here the fun starts, building the cab on the truck is fun, but does ensure that it fits what is on the truck, no misalignment :nut:

The new cab beading getting it to fit nice and tight is an art but worth doing it looks all the better for it.

Jim's contribution Thanks Allied Forces

The other side panel being fitted.

IMG_4257r..jpg

IMG_4265r..jpg

IMG_4255r..jpg

IMG_4268r..jpg

IMG_4269r..jpg

IMG_4262r..jpg

IMG_4271r..jpg

IMG_4260r..jpg

IMG_4247r..jpg

Important note when building up the cab on the truck.

Do not fit cowl until last, ie fit the back panel then 2 x cab support rails then position floor panel, position sides, fit dashboard panel to front corners of both sides, then fit cowl once done bolt all bits up tight.

How do I know this because I bolted the back, 2 x rails, floor, 2 x sides and cowl together then discovered that the dash slides down over the side front corners, you cant do this because of the glove box and instruments

:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry

Had to undo all bolts remove cowl and the fit dash then fit cowl, canvas beading, and gun ring mounts and spacing plates then bolt up.....

Important note when building up the cab on the truck.

Do not fit cowl until last, ie fit the back panel then 2 x cab support rails then position floor panel, position sides, fit dashboard panel to front corners of both sides, then fit cowl once done bolt all bits up tight.

How do I know this because I bolted the back, 2 x rails, floor, 2 x sides and cowl together then discovered that the dash slides down over the side front corners, you cant do this because of the glove box and instruments

:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry

Had to undo all bolts remove cowl and the fit dash then fit cowl, canvas beading, and gun ring mounts and spacing plates then bolt up.....

he wasn't happy I can tell you :-( but with the support of me and eldest cubelet he has succeded in getting it on again. It was worth getting my finger nearly broken for it as well :-)

No problem......

From today, Mon 19th April have a full 15 days, on the 16th day it will be on the ferry to Guernsey

In this time have to finish building the cab, rewire the cab and lighting, spray the whole truck stencil it with stars ect, dig out the gun and spray that as well.....:nut::nut::nut::nut::nut:

Oh for 60 hours a day !!

This thread has been brilliant!

I've just purchased a 352 Hard Cab which really needs basically the same treatment as can be seen here, but obviously slightly different as its the closed tin cab with opening doors.

Reading this thread has reminded me again after almost two decades since seeing an open cab in pieces just how much work the job of stripping a GMC cab and doing a proper repair job entails.

All power to your elbow old boy and lets hope you make that ferry!

This thread has been brilliant!

I've just purchased a 352 Hard Cab which really needs basically the same treatment as can be seen here, but obviously slightly different as its the closed tin cab with opening doors.

Reading this thread has reminded me again after almost two decades since seeing an open cab in pieces just how much work the job of stripping a GMC cab and doing a proper repair job entails.

All power to your elbow old boy and lets hope you make that ferry!

I will reply on the cubed ones behalf, he will be delighted that you have read it and found it interesting/helpfull. He is out there now with G506 rapidly spraying and bolting on parts. Yes I have been back in the cab (bit like riding a bike, get right back on there) thankfully I am in one piece this time but the sun got the better of me and I had to have sit down with my book and a glass of chardonnay!

We will make the ferry (fingers crossed) the paint may be still tacky and all ID numbers my not be sprayed back on but we will be there!

Hi all, sorry have not posted much but I have got a deadline you know !!!! I have been sooooo busy sorting out the cab. Its now prety much back together and on the truck now spraying like mad wiring and the like..

Will get some pics up tomorrow if I get a chance too.

You wont recognise the old girl if you remember it was all a bit of different colours, now it will be all one colour and no dodgy rusty bits on the cab.

Also need to spray the 105 as well got the springs back and fitted just a quick spray job to match the truck.