** Route to Victory - 2010 **

I have just got in after another superb RTV. Great weather too, Just one short heavy shower on the way back to Ramsbury. Great run, good company, good food and cider. All in all, a brilliant day out. Photos to follow.

Jack, you have stood me up once too often. I have burned your tea bag and snapped your custard cream across my knee.

Sadly, i cant make it tomorrow, but i am sure you will find some room in one of the many fine GMC's that were there.

[quote name=Great War truck;201829

Jack' date=' you have stood me up once too often. I have burned your tea bag and snapped your custard cream across my knee.

Tim you slacker! The weather is bad for tomorrow??

Not really, the weather does not look to be that bad tomorrow. But anyway, i really cant make it. i do have another thing i have to do.

Anyway, here are a few photos of today.

Hungerford Common where we stopped on the site of the Kennet and Avon stop line which a very knowledgable chap gave us a talk about. We drove past a couple of pill boxes and parked up beside the road. The talk was very interesting.

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

Then after an entertaining drive with lots of hill starts we arrived at Combe Gibbet. You know you forget how big GMC's really are sometimes. This one parked on top of a Jeep (well it looks like it):

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

The valley below was used for training for the assault upon the Merville battery:

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

The gibbet can just be made out in the background. At this location a husband and wife were executed (for some horrible crime) and the location was chosen as being the border between the two counties where they were born. Apparently the counties had to meet the cost of executing those criminals who had been born there, so this was a cost saving measure.

IMG_2108.jpg

Then off to the Jack Russel pub for a pint and a roast hog:

IMG_2117.jpg

The 101st Airborne picnic reenactment:

IMG_2118.jpg

Probably my favourite vehcile of the day.

IMG_2127.jpg

Lovely. But dont park behind it when it is doing hill starts.

Probably my favourite vehcile of the day.

Lovely. But dont park behind it when it is doing hill starts.

thanks for the compliment.... made my day!

oh and sorry if it was you behind me on " that " hill, i just couldnt get 3rd gear, kept rolling back til i managed to crawl up in 2nd! deaf by the time we reached the top..

I wasnt in the Jeep behind you, but in the Jeep behind that. When you started rolling back down the hill during your hill start saga, the Jeep in front of me took fright and came shooting back towards me at a great rate of knots. I went back to avoid him and came very close to the Jeep behind me.

I was very pleased when you managed to get going as my hand brake would not hold and my leg was giving out. I was happy just to follow you up in first, but i started catching up with you as you approached the top and didnt really want to stop.

At what stage did you boil over?

Ah yes, i had similar problems, the trucks in front of me came to a dead stop, i then couldnt select the correct gear, and everytime i tried to pull away i rolled back as was in 5th! Got up there eventually though, did manage to get 3rd gear on the next few climbs and it flew up quite well thankfully.. It didnt boil over as such, i'd topped up with water on the way down on fri near Birdlip hill, and it chucked the excess out on that climb, tends to do so if i overfill, but doesnt actually boil....

All in all, an excellent weekend, pity about the weather but hey... found the locals extremely friendly and welcoming, great fun!