6x6 AEC matador help

I am thinking of buying a 6x6 AEC matador running but in need of a good work over...are parts available, are there any experts who can help me work on them...are there any manuals i can get etc etc...am i being crazy, I want to use the crane regularly but I also want to use the truck for towing my stalwart about will it tow 11 tons....if so at what speed?

I am thinking of buying a 6x6 AEC matador running but in need of a good work over...are parts available, are there any experts who can help me work on them...are there any manuals i can get etc etc...am i being crazy, I want to use the crane regularly but I also want to use the truck for towing my stalwart about will it tow 11 tons....if so at what speed?

Do you mean an RAF Coles crane O854, AEC and the forces never called these Matador, a name reserved for the 4x4 and 4x2 models AEC built. Although popularly called "Matador" because of the Cab, front axle, gearbox Aux box, that is common to both.

You say "you want to use the crane regularly." so I assume you are talking 0854 Coles crane variant.

I do not know if you are aware, but mobile cranes are not allowed to tow anything, even a trailer carrying tools and equipment (slings hooks strops, spreader frame etc,) that are to be used for lifting purposes with that crane.

All mobile cranes also require class C licence, but you probably have that I expect.

Edited by antarmike

that s why I love this site...so much knowledge, I have just spent an hour and a half trawling throught regulations for use etc re trailers and you are spot on...they cannot tow a trailer, which makes those who use a berliet mobile crane whcih can tow 20 tons to tow anything are breaking the law...that is very very useful information indeed...thanks antarmike...

anyway back to the question are parts easy to get hold of...and how easy are they to maintain...anyone got experience of them...

The regulations as printed...

22. - (1) Any mobile crane that is used on roads must not -

(a) carry any load; or

(b) transport any goods or burden.

(2) But that is subject to paragraphs 23 and 24.

23. A mobile crane may carry its own necessary gear and equipment.

24. A mobile crane may lift or transport goods or burden in the course of carrying out lifting operations.

Restriction on towing trailers

25. A mobile crane must not tow any trailer.

Paul,

It is not even a O854, it is an early 1950's Coles crane built with AEC automotive running gear, with the 11.3 litre engine, according to the advert, although my recollection was that it was fitted with a 7.7 engine originally. I was involved in refurbishing one of these for the RAF many years ago.

okay, thanks richard, I have seen and read a few of the matador specs and i was thinking it was a 6x6 coles crane with the 11.3 diesel but cant quite confirm that..I am getting a few more pictures this week and will talk with my mechanics on wednesday for their views...

okay, thanks richard, I have seen and read a few of the matador specs and i was thinking it was a 6x6 coles crane with the 11.3 diesel but cant quite confirm that..I am getting a few more pictures this week and will talk with my mechanics on wednesday for their views...

Paul,

Just looked up the data for that crane, going by photo in advert, it would most probably be a Coles 6 ton Model L1210, powered by a AEC A187K 7.7 litre engine of 95 bhp, gross vehicle weight of 23 tons, fuel consumption 3 mpg.

hmm something amiss, he says it is an 11,3 and ten ton 7 ton crane...but I am not sure he knows what he has, just that he has been using it for years...very interesting...perhaps i can get engine numbers and things would that help identify it...

Perhaps it could be an AWD, they used mainly AEC components including one with the 11.3 engine, it used a Jones fully slewing crane and had a blocked capacity of 10 tons or 6 tons free on wheels. Power for the crane was supplied by a 4cyl Perkins engine and these date from 1960/61.

Paul,

Going by the photo in the advert, it is definitely an RAF Coles, there has been one on here recently, a museum at an old RAF base in Wales, Millom (?) had one donated to them. Note the legs on the jib for doing a static lift, I think for lifting aircraft with undercart problems. Now the Army had AEC/ Coles bridging cranes, cab same as a Mk1 Militant, 11.3 engine and 4 cyl Perkins on top, they lifted 10 ton blocked at min radius.

I used to do the SWL tests and repairs on Army and RAF cranes of these types and later, so it is old memories coming back to me.

Hi Richard, the base you are thinking of used to be RAF Llanbedr which had passed to Quinetiq who used it to fly drones into Cardigan Bay for target practice. Once they stopped using drones the base was closed completely a couple of years ago. They had a more modern mobile crane for normal us, the Coles 6x6 was kept as a spare and occasionally to recover the ordinary crane which had a poor off road capability. It was always stored in a heated building and well maintained and gone through a rebuild at some time I remember the vehicle manager tellimg me that they would like to do a complete refubishment on it. Many people had tried to buy it over the years but as you say it went to RAF Millom museum in Cumbria. I knew a number of the staff at Llanbedr, fire and security personnel and the transport staff but since the closure of the base I have been unable to contact any of them. As there is no work available in the area I assume that they have had to move away.

Hi Richard, the base you are thinking of used to be RAF Llanbedr which had passed to Quinetiq who used it to fly drones into Cardigan Bay for target practice. Once they stopped using drones the base was closed completely a couple of years ago. They had a more modern mobile crane for normal us, the Coles 6x6 was kept as a spare

Thanks Degsy, I got the facts a bit muddled, for some reason I thought the museum was in Wales :confused:. I know there should be some photos on here somewhere and info on the crane.

Do you mean an RAF Coles crane O854, AEC and the forces never called these Matador, a name reserved for the 4x4 and 4x2 models AEC built. Although popularly called "Matador" because of the Cab, front axle, gearbox Aux box, that is common to both.

You say "you want to use the crane regularly." so I assume you are talking 0854 Coles crane variant.

I do not know if you are aware, but mobile cranes are not allowed to tow anything, even a trailer carrying tools and equipment (slings hooks strops, spreader frame etc,) that are to be used for lifting purposes with that crane.

All mobile cranes also require class C licence, but you probably have that I expect.

Mike, is Mobile Crane a vehicle definition or a taxation class? assuming it is not being used comercially could it be taxed as historic? When I bought my Explorer it had been taxed as mobile crane (presumably for red diesel) but I had no bother changing to historic. I wonder a Coles crane would fit the "Locomotive" definition.

Can't find much on mobile cranes in my TOC 12th edition.

• 1 month later...