Beaulieu Autojumble 2009

fv1609

Went on Saturday, very warm & pleasant, I suppose it will turn out to have been the last day of summer!

Didn't see you Robert woa2 you moved your pitch, although I think I spotted it later as I think yours was the only Mk 1 9x9 on the showground.

I was glad to see the mil clothing dealer who's stall burnt down at GDSF was there selling stuff.

Don't think I saw anyone from the forum. Purchase-wise all I managed was as a long bendy nozzle for the air spray for the compressor & 2 captive nuts which were the wrong size!

I always hope to see the unexpected, last year I bought a 1960s RUC riot helmet from a seller who had no idea what it was, but nothing at all exciting this year. So apart from the day out in the sun I found it a bit boring looking at shiny bits for cars. Copies of Classic Car were being handed out, but I declined to have one. The woman seemed surprised & slightly hurt & asked why I didn't want a copy. I replied that I'm not interested in classic cars, fast cars, sports cars etc just functional vehicles. She retorted "Well why go to a classic car event?" I'm now asking myself the same question!

Chris, I did see a boxed Champ distributor. I missed seeing the distributor seller in the expensive tents, who usually has a NOS "B60" distributor which it ain't, it is a CVR(T) one & revolves the other way & has a different rotor arm.

I have also noticed generally that stalls that have prices marked with a continental 7 rather than a proper 7, are more expensive!

Also stalls that are priced in Euros as well as £s, are also more expensive. I don't know whether that is foreign dealers who need to recoup their ferry fares or there is rounding up in price conversions.

Traffic is always a problem but RTAs only compound the problem. I live 17 miles away & the RAC Route Planner says the "fastest route" will get me there in 44 mins. In practice you have to at least double this for an a-j event there.

I ignore satnav/route planner & ignore all signs to Beaulieu or Autojumble. I go via Brockenhurst, this takes you in via the lower road which has much less traffic, you can then park in the field opposite the main road. It is not so far to walk from compared with most of the main carpark & at the end you can drive straight out, with no queuing.

My journey there took only 40 minutes & this included 20 minutes at Lyndhurst. So this not only beat the a-j queues but beats the "Fastest Route" estimate of 44 mins!

I was there on Saturday,too - and sorry I didn't catch up with you Chris! I am also coming to the conclusion that it is a waste of time - I bought some electrical stuff and some thin cutting discs - but saw no treasures. A French Dealer had a WW1 P and H WD Sidelamp which was quite nice - still original green - but he wanted £110 for it - a nonsense. We have enough and the average price that we have paid for those is only £40 - and that's for a good one.

But the trouble with saying that we will not go again is the fear that you might miss a treasure - so what do you do?

Tony

I have often been intrigued by the other autojumble at Netley Marsh not to far away I think it is called Eurojumble? This is in direct opposition to the Beaulieu event. Given Euro pricing approach I'm not sure if there would be many bargains.

I believe it is predominantly motorcycle-jumble, which accounts for the reduced levels of m/cycle stuff at Beaulieu. I'm sort of tempted to hope that all the m/cycle stuff would go there. BUT the bargain RUC helmet I bought last year was sold as a m/cycle helmet. So perhaps I should have gone to the Eurojumble?