26th August 1346

lightweight

The battle of Crecy.

Depending on who you read, 12-16000 British cavalry, infantry and archers led by Edward III took on 35-100,00 French cavalry and infantry supported by Genoese crossbowmen and led by Phillip IV.

The British had taken up position on a low rise overlooking a boggy bottomed valley. The crossbowman advanced without support or sheilds and were cut down by the British archers, who's rate of fire they couldn't hope to match. On retreating they were hacked down by the advancing French cavalry who considered their withdrawal to be cowardly - all round, not a good day for them!

The French had to dismount to cross the valley floor and then charge up a hill into which the British had dug holes and sunk in sharpened stakes to trip the horses. The two sides hardly clashed, although Edwards son (16 years old) came under attack as he led part of the army.

The French made up to 16 attempts to break the British line with disastrous casualties at each try. At the time, armour plate could be punctured by the Longbow and horses wore hardly any armour at all.

Again according to who you read, the French lost nearly a third of their force whereas the British casualties are believed to have been around 100!

The battle is also believed to feature the first use of cannon by a British army in the field.

I think I've described them as 'British' haven't I?:whistle:

I believe that each Welsh archer was given an acre of land to farm and made a freeman for their contribution to the battle by the way..:coffee:

What makes you think the Welsh are British? :cool2: Intrestingly the 'English' Longbow was mostly made from imported Yew. English Yew being to soft due the wetter climate.

Picky, picky, picky.:stop:

Here I am, trying to educate everybody as to why the French hate us so much - I've even tried to include the Welsh within the warm circle of English culture and all I get is criticism....:cool2:

There's just no pleasing some people.:-D