Ford GTB "Burma Jeep" Blog

cargo body went on for blasting at long last!

made most of the exhaust system, just need to finish the tail pipe once the body is back on, its sounds much better now with a better muffler on it, got a nice bark:cool2::cool2:

also made the heat shield for the muffler as Ford decided to put the fuel tank directly above it:nut:

got the wood cut to size for the cargo body.

next, more tyres off and sort gearbox selectors, fit wood for cargo body, maybe bleed the brakes!

DSC00129.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

progress continues,

the rear body is back from blasting and was in top condition, just needed a little bit of rust cutting out and repairing then some more primer and a base coat of OD.

Also got the winch back on and the started fitting new tyres:thumbsup:

next up work will commence on the fuel tank, its a ZIL 131 tank that is very nearly the perfect size,shape and look but needs some work to make it perfect.

NEED SOME PARTS - need a small filler type filler neck as fitted to early american stuff like chev, GMC and dodge etc anything will do as i will make it fit if anybody has one taking up space in the shed? also need some very long bolts 5/8unf x 18 inches! (might have to make them)

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00156.JPG

DSC00155.jpg

Edited by RMS

made a start on the fuel tank today......lots of welding to come!! needed shrinking by 2.5 inches in height so an 1 1/4 was taken out of the top and bottom section to keep it symmetrical and the bottom needs the rear section cutting out to clear the transfer box mount, weld weld weld weld!!!!

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress is being made on the fuel tank, taking a bit more work than anticipated! never mind it will look just like an original when finished.

3 new tyres fitted :-)

Work will commence on the passenger seat next week.

DSC00180.jpg

Edited by RMS

no my truck did not have a fuel tank and it would appear to be one of the hardest parts to find for them. the only vehicles that had this tank were the GTB cargo and the G8T 2wd truck that shared the same type cargo body (never seen one!). a lot of GTB's that turn up have the wrong fuel tank and it sticks out like a sore thumb!

So i took a lot of pictures of T Corbins original fuel tank (thank you Tony) and have studied lot of pictures that i have gathered plus parts manuals etc. it will be very close to the original when finished, certainly the same size and appearance. although a lot heavier with weld and solder! even found a filler neck now, although its a half ton dodge one that will also get modified.

here is a picture of T Corbins real one i'm sure he wont mind me posting it, mine is starting to look like this, the biggest challenge was finding a tank made in the same manner with the joint around the middle and the ZIL tank is very close to start with just a couple of inches to big!

DSC03957.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

progress is good, fuel tank is leak free, just need to weld in the filler neck when it arrives and in it goes (hopefully!) , bit of tidying and some paint.

made the winch gaurd/guide today and the new bumper is being folded this week. The rear body is now all bolted down for good. 5 tyres all fitted. found a spare wheel mount that will do the job from a Long wheel base GMC, not exactly the same but very similar and good enough for me.

getting close to a good test run around the farm:D

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

progress continues, fuel tank just needs some paint, the mudguards are mounted for the final time, front bumper made and fitted, exhaust is finished and now the passenger seat is in progress:D

got a long wheel base GMC/Chev 1.5 ton spare wheel mount that will get modified for the the GTB, ebay bargain:D:D

paper work to DVLA this week to register (looking forward to another argument with them!!)

road test coming shortly:nut::D

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00236.JPG

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00239.JPG

strange things have happened today!!!!

went to DVLA in portsmouth armed with my V55/5, insurance and verification letter, all set for the usual battles... import duties, inspection bla bla bla....................

Instead of the usual issues i was in and out in 10 minutes all done, tax disc will be with me in 3 days!!!!:wow::D:D no inspection required by DVLA, no question on import paper, nothing!!!

• 4 weeks later...

drove the GTB out today and turned it around so i can get to the jobs on the drivers side, last wheel is being painted tomorrow, they have been a challenge to get the old tyres off, glad it has not been too hot!!!

fuel tank is all plumbed up and looks the part, made the vacuum pipes for the hydrovac and starting fitting the cab enclosure panels, these are a pig to get on as the whole front end is made up of bolted together panels with a few hundred 1/4 inch bolts, getting them all to line up is fun!

the seats are in having the cushions made. next on the list if finish all the paint work, fit the wiring loom, fit one windscreen and make a second inner screen frame, fit the last tyre then first real drive:D:D

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

looking really good ,not too much more to do now,is that your peugeot 301 in the background?

no, that is a 1937 Auto Union Wanderer W24 that i have been restoring for a guy, thats nearly done too!

Excellent work! I admire the time and effort you invested in getting the tank to look as it should.

One question though; are you keeping the fender like that? Or do you have plans to get the dents removed in the future?

Alex

Thanks very much

I have been thinking about the wings since day 1, and i have changed my mind several times on wether to knock out the dents, currently i am going to leave them as they are, adds a bit of character.

nearly all the pictures i have of the truck in the service they had similar dents to the wings.

• 2 weeks later...

test drive completed succesfully today:banana::banana:

only one hiccup when the top hose blew off, teach me for using the original hose clips!

seat are all done as is one windscreen, gong to make the number plates over the weekend then a good run on monday hopefully:D

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

Ford GTB is something totally exotic for me.

Maybe stupid question GTB were made only as 4x4 drive or also as 2x4 ?

correct, they did make a G8T with the same cargo body with only 4x2, but it has the civvy hard top cab. LUXURY!