H2 repair hydraulic bottle jack

mcspool

Question

Hi all,

Some years ago I bought an old 8-ton hydraulic bottle jack. Now the time has come I need to use it, I found out of course it needs a service/repair.

The piston goes up and down when operating the handle, but when left for a while it sinks. There is hardly any fluid left in the bottle.

How to repair it to working order? Just fill 'er up with hydraulic fluid and hope that's it? It does not seem there is a way to dismantle it.

Thanks in advance,

Hanno

16 answers to this question

It almost certainly sounds like you have an air lock in the oil reservior/hydraulic ram. You will need to drain the old oil then flush it through before replenishing with fresh oil, preferably with an oil that the manufacturer specifies (or equivilent) this should sort out your problem on the ram sinking, ideally you should get it tested before lifting any heavy loads and certainly use axle stands and /or wood block to support the load.

As it's an old jack I would be inclined to replace it.

Hope this helps.

is it leaking fluid around the ram? does the valve feel as if its closing properly ? if its a well known make you may be able to get parts but if not it will be easier to buy a new one. I repaired one once and it cost me £20 for the ram seal. In mine i use aws32 hydraulic oil but always go with what manufacturer recommends and dont take risks.:stop:

Posted a few pictures to see what I'm talking about. It's a "MILLENNIUM" Lake & Elliot jack, made in England of course.

It looks rather old, so it could be worth the effort to refurbish it, rather than replace it with a cheap Chinese one.

And yes, the piston leaks so it needs a new seal.

No idea how to dismantle it!

H.

P1060379.jpg

P1060380.jpg

P1060381.jpg

P1060382.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Lake & Elliot used to make some of the best jacks available . Unfortunately , like so many others , they have now passed into history and where their factory used to be in Braintree has now become a new housing complex . I'm sure your jack is worth repairing as they were always quality pieces of equipment built to last a lifetime .

You may well find that the top ring has slots. If so the dismantiling is to use a C spanner to open up and remove the jack legs.

Thanks for the tip, Tony. First I need to source a seal, though.

What other parts would need replacing when overhauling? I guess I should strip it first to assess the condition of the pistons.

Thanks,

Hanno

I have been quoted GBP 35 excl. VAT plus GBP 10 p&p for a piston seal.

Is that a fair price?

Who can point me in the direction of suppliers of repair kits?

Thanks,

Hanno

These old jacks were very well made, and, so long as the sealing surfaces are in reasonable condition, can simply be resealed. We are based in the UK but if you look for a local Seal-Jet or Economos outlet for example, they can most likely make you a set of seals to fit your Jack. Its best if you strip and clean all the parts so that the seal styles and housings are easy to check & measure. Then it should be a simple re-assemble, re-fill with oil (usually H32 hydraulic oil) and it should be good for years more service.

Hello hope someone can help maybe Hanno? I have a Dunlop double ram very similar to this. I've got the bottom leather seal out but I can't seem to figure out how the rams separate. There is a hole either side of the lower ram that when the upper is fully extended a brass pin can be seen on one side but not on the other.

• Like 1