Taking Cat H at Tanks A Lot

I had a £750 training budget to get rid of before the end of August, and work have approved me spending it on taking Cat H :D

Beyond what's already been covered in the threads in here (ie, maintain good observation!) are there any extra gotchas or caveats to be aware of? They still test in a 432, which my work neighbour described as 'a piece of * to drive' but I don't want to get caught out!

Incidentally they've given up on block bookings now so if anyone wants to go and test you don't have to wait for 9 others to sign up now :yay:

Stone

How's that then:confused:

When the examiner turned up he told Nick and us that his bosses at DVLA had seen the statement on the web site and were less than impressed so he'd got orders to be as tough as possible. In fairness to him he did then give us the option of taking the test in a mini-digger rather than the 432's but we all had a waffle and decided to unanimously to use the 432's as thats more or less what we'd be driving if and when passed.

I got knocked back for inadequate observation after pulling away from the emergency stop despite a perfect drive before and after that point; two other guys got knocked back on similar things. Was told "off record" that had the bosses not seen that statement and the examiner been left to his own decisions all three of us would have been passed with the issues raised as observations not failures.... Such is life!!

Was told "off record" that had the bosses not seen that statement and the examiner been left to his own decisions all three of us would have been passed with the issues raised as observations not failures.... Such is life!!

I would not have been impressed at that point. If he admitted that he failed you deliberately on a point that would normally have been an observation simply to get at the school operator, I would have been taking it up with the area office.

So if Nick has passed x-amount in the month when you go to take a test with him you stand a good chance of being failled just because he has a good track record... if this is so why has Nick not changed his statement about a 100% pass rate if his been warned..:confused:

Thought it was the DSA & not the DVLA that handled tests:confused:

Maybe Stone can clarify where Nick stands with the DSA & if he's still having problems with them when he goes to take his test?

Edited by Marmite!!

head moving and indicators are vital, especially when stopping, and when moving off of course...but dont forget to use them when the instructor calls you to stop by him...i nearly did...emergency stop straight as a die please...and dont forget to be courteous to other road users if you are on the road...

I would not have been impressed at that point. If he admitted that he failed you deliberately on a point that would normally have been an observation simply to get at the school operator, I would have been taking it up with the area office.

To be honest - in my opinion, given the nature of the 432 or related beasts the point about not looking around thoroughly after the E-stop was perfectly valid. Obviously I'd have preferred an advisory rather than a fail but - even given my rather strained relations with the driving agencies - I was happy to accept the point. As we all know - where armour is concerned safety takes priority.

That said - my first H test involved jumping into a 432 at a barracks and driving it around the MT park - and I passed.

So if Nick has passed x-amount in the month when you go to take a test with him you stand a good chance of being failled just because he has a good track record... if this is so why has Nick not changed his statement about a 100% pass rate if his been warned..:confused:

Thought it was the DSA & not the DVLA that handled tests:confused:

Maybe Stone can clarify where Nick stands with the DSA & if he's still having problems with them when he goes to take his test?

Maybe - if he's that bothered... If he wants to ask I think the other two guys were from British Aerospace. Does Nick run his own web site or is it handled for him - if the latter could be either he's forgotten to tell them or whoever is responsible forgot to amend the line. :confused:

Last I heard the DSA was part of the MoT along with VOSA and DVLA so effectively all the same thing....

Last I heard the DSA was part of the MoT along with VOSA and DVLA so effectively all the same thing....

Yeah, different budgets though ;)

The impression I got was that they weren't dead chuffed with him for being overly forceful about the block bookings thing - he persuaded them to send an examiner for the day and do as many tests as they could fit in. Makes sense from his point of view (otherwise they have to close the training area for just one person) but I can see why the DSA would hate it - standard practice is to book a test for one specific driver and it must have messed up their paperwork something rotten as they normally pre-fill the forms before you even get there. Maybe Neil et al fell foul of them on that too? They've stopped block booking now so I guess it was causing them a problem - the admin must have been a nightmare...

head moving and indicators are vital, especially when stopping, and when moving off of course...but dont forget to use them when the instructor calls you to stop by him...

Is the examiner not in the vehicle with you then? How do they give you instructions, by shouting? :rotfl:

Are the vehicle normally kept in good nick or do they just get ragged?

Stone

Yeah, different budgets though ;)

The impression I got was that they weren't dead chuffed with him for being overly forceful about the block bookings thing - he persuaded them to send an examiner for the day and do as many tests as they could fit in. Makes sense from his point of view (otherwise they have to close the training area for just one person) but I can see why the DSA would hate it - standard practice is to book a test for one specific driver and it must have messed up their paperwork something rotten as they normally pre-fill the forms before you even get there. Maybe Neil et al fell foul of them on that too? They've stopped block booking now so I guess it was causing them a problem - the admin must have been a nightmare...

Is the examiner not in the vehicle with you then? How do they give you instructions, by shouting? :rotfl:

Are the vehicle normally kept in good nick or do they just get ragged?

Stone

When I was there the Examiner stands off to one side from the group of candidates. He tells you what manouver to do - you do it then pull up beside him to get the next instructions. For me it ran thus:

1. Pull away, do a circuit of the field and parallel park behind the indicated vehicle (a Godzvika SPG). Pull out again and then stop here.

2. Proceed down to the entrance on the left, reverse into it then pull out and come back in this direction. When I indicate by raising my clipboard stop the vehicle in a controlled manner in the shortest possible distance.

3. Pull away and turn the vehicle through 180 degrees and park up as if beside the kerb.

That was it basically.

Neil, it's the magic A at the end of all the goverment initials is the key . AGENCY ie we have to make our own money screw every penny out of everything. The MOD Police is now the MOD Police and Guarding AGENCY! IE they have to contract for gaurding military and DSTL establishments aginst the like of rent a corpse, who are paying mimnimum wages, breathing for their gaurds is optional.

I took my test with terry brooks does to one training i took mine in a 438 rapier surport vehicle but i think he now uses a CVRT scorpion the excaminer rides with you in the vehicle and takes you on public roads its a lot cheaper than quoted elsewhere

All i did was to book a date for the test with the DVLA local office then contact Terry , the examiner likes to do tests around 2 ish at terrys location guess he goes home early after you have passed

I found the test easy but its all down to if you have not driven a large vehicle before then you will not be safe or gain experance in a few hours but i have an HGV so

But you will be asked to drive on the public roads and do a 3 point turn ! and an emergency stop , and park in a parking space near the kerb

Beware of tests carried out around fields use a proper insured road worthy vehicle

Look terry up on milweb if intrested

I tried to use Terry when I left Fords. - their EDAP scheme agreed to fund the cost of the training and test. Unfortunately when I told Terry he would have to submit an invoice to Fords EDAP agency for payment rather than receiving cash he suddenly went unobtainable, I was more than a little upset by this as all the paperwork had been raised so it meant I lost out on my final years funding allocation.

Thats why I wound up with Nick at TaL trying to get my "H" license back again....

I found the test easy but its all down to if you have not driven a large vehicle before then you will not be safe or gain experance in a few hours but i have an HGV so

Interesting. Just this morning came the following comment on the Army Rumour Service RAC Forum:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=2770722.html#2770722

Look for:

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:56 am

A bit off topic but on my first exercise,Red Rat in 1974 I was surprised If not totally gob-smacked to see 3 Leo 1´s come into my Chieftain sight and then suddenly dissapear,all three braked, reversed and dissapeared at for a MTB a decent rate of knots.I remember thinking as a 17 year old that the krauts didn´t have Troopers as drivers and they got a damn sight more track training than we did.I learned many years later that their drivers get their HGV licences before they even get near a tank,this also gives them better career chances when they leave.

However 35 years later a Bundeswehr convoy in Afghanistan got attacked and used the same tactic,ie high reverse from the ambush zone,one vehicle toppled over and killed 3 of the crew!Not such a good tactic after all especially on un-even ground.

• 3 months later...

Went out today. I passed :D :yay:

Just me, Nick and another chap taking who owned a Scorpion (not sure if he posts on here, but if you're reading, hello Jim!). Started at 0830 and were all done by about half past two.

When I was there the Examiner stands off to one side from the group of candidates. He tells you what manouver to do - you do it then pull up beside him to get the next instructions. For me it ran thus:

1. Pull away, do a circuit of the field and parallel park behind the indicated vehicle (a Godzvika SPG). Pull out again and then stop here.
  2. Proceed down to the entrance on the left, reverse into it then pull out and come back in this direction. When I indicate by raising my clipboard stop the vehicle in a controlled manner in the shortest possible distance.
  3. Pull away and turn the vehicle through 180 degrees and park up as if beside the kerb.

That was it basically.

This has totally changed! Nick had laid out a load of tape markers to indicate the sides of an imaginary road and a bay to reverse into, we did a ton of practicing around the (well-drained) figure-8 track, complete with stopping behind another vehicle, reversing into the bay etc. When the two examiners arrived - one was the other's boss - they wouldn't cross the twenty feet of mud to get onto the nice track; even when offered a lift in a Landy they declined as apparently they're not allowed to get into anyone else's vehicles? :??? We had to rip up all the markers and reinstate them next to their canteen building, because apparently they have to have somewhere dry to retreat to if it rains (for the paperwork?) which has to have electricity...so we had to use the really soggy ground directly in front of them for them to get a decent look.

That was when we found out they'd ditched the requirement for reversing into a box and instead it was going to be a turn in the road! Nick was sweating buckets at this point convinced we were going to throw a track reversing while turning but it failed to happen even up to the tops of the road wheels in mud :D

Test for me ran:

• Couple of questions (is there a fire extinguisher in the vehicle, how would you use it etc)
  • Perform a turn in the road so the vehicle is pointing in the opposite direction (then pull over, cut the engine and wait for further instructions)
  • Do three full laps of the track, after finishing the third lap pull in behind the indicated vehicle over there (a Russian 2S1), then pull out again and complete the lap (then pull over, cut the engine and wait for further instructions)
  • Perform another turn in the road
  • Do three laps in the opposite direction, on the last lap I will give you a signal for an emergency stop, stop the vehicle as fast and safely as possible
    (then pull over, cut the engine and wait for further instructions)
  • Do one more lap of the track, pull in once over on that ridge there as if stopping at the side of the road, and again just past that Russian tank.
  • Repeatedly try and start the engine, fail, wonder if the starter's broken, get concerned look from examiner and 'is it supposed to be smoking like that?', call Nick out, remember to put it in neutral before starting engine, brazen it out as a mechanical fault and restart engine :sweat: :n00b:
  • Pull in by examiner, exit vehicle
  • Highway code test (stopping distances for a car, what would you do after leaving a muddy field before you went on the road, road sign quiz)
  • The end!

Took about 45 minutes in all, sweating buckets throughout, unbelievable amounts of mud (nearly clipped the 2S1 a couple of times as there was a HUGE rut right next to it, some of the mud deep enough that you could see where the belly had flattened the tops off between the track ruts!) and I got a minor for doing a powerslide around one of the corners at about 30 :rofl:

Jim had to scoot off afterwards but Nick gave me a quick blast around the field in the 2S1, lovely beast (think I got a splinter off the wooden tillers!) but virtually zero visibility 'cos there's a socking huge gun in the way! Bouncing through some deep ponds at speed, you can see the difference; if you ford too fast in the 432 you end up wearing most of it but the 2S1's glacis plate flings it all forward at enormous speed instead :D

So, amazing day, very happy :D

Stone

Congratulations!! :):)

I forgot to mention that the last part of the test I took was a 180 deg turn in the road - then park up neatly in front of the Godzvika. Like you - Nick had the bay for reversing marked out with tape (mine tap IIRC).

Did they require you to get out of the drivers seat and walk along the top of the vehicle to the rear before reversing into the bay??

I forgot to mention that the last part of the test I took was a 180 deg turn in the road - then park up neatly in front of the Godzvika. Like you - Nick had the bay for reversing marked out with tape (mine tap IIRC).

Misunderstanding: the turn in the road was

1. pull up at left side of the "road" (two strips of mine tape about 3m apart)

2. do an aggressive right turn in 1st to get you 90 degrees to your original direction

3. reverse almost straight back to try and minimise chance of throwing a track (horrible grinding noises coming out of the sprockets all along as all the churned up lumps of mud went through them, this was on the soggiest part of the field!)

4. do another aggressive right turn in 1st to get you pointing the other way.

There was no bay involved at all, as apparently that's not part of the test any more! Nick was fuming as they hadn't mentioned it to him so we'd been practicing for the wrong test, but it did all work out in the end...

Did they require you to get out of the drivers seat and walk along the top of the vehicle to the rear before reversing into the bay??

Nope, just standing up at the drivers position for a good look left and right into the mirrors' blind spots sufficed. It was a much more spontaneous type of turn-in-the-road than it would have been for reversing into a bay, maybe that was why, in case you held up traffic? You can see most things behind you if you have a good look, so long as it's not too close ;)

There were some really confused bits to it so I think they were mostly trying to adapt a car driving test to match the APC. My examiner asked me how I would check the wheel nuts were secure, I made something up about using a torque wrench but didn't point out there were two wheels per axle, ten axles, 8 nuts per wheel, you'd be there for an hour prodding at them all :rofl:

Also Nick asked them if future students could take the test in his 360 tracked excavator, the answer was no because it has digging equipment on so you need a 3 year ticket like a forklift licence instead of an H? After I passed I asked if I could drive the digger now and got a rather stern 'No' but it's tracklaying and steered by its tracks...I don't get it!

I did have a cracking time though, Nick has an awful lot of interesting stuff (and he's a nice bloke, which helps) - don't think I've ever seen so many Stalwarts in one place, even if some of them are looking a bit sorry for themselves...

Also the 432 is dead easy to drive, the Gvozdika seems to need at least one extra set of hands to use all the controls! I thought it was funny the Russians included a hatch above the gearstick so an instructor could ride on top and help out :rofl:

Stone

Edited by Stone

Some times I think the DVLA make it up as they go along!! The examiner we had was adamant that if we were reversing the vehicle the driver had to stop, apply the hand brake and climb out and walk back to physically check all was clear at the back. We were luckier than you in that the 180 deg turn could be carried out in one go if the driver felt that there was sufficient width.

If you are at W&P next year - and I've found a cheaper than £800 way of getting the OT there - give me a yell and you can try your hand at driving that. Personally I find it easier than the 432 as the brakes are separate from the steering and it's a tiller bar rather than levers.