Mystery Object No.99

fv1609

a minelayer trailer?

or perhaps a potato planter for the Army Catering Corps..........

cant be a potato planter as the rows will be too close together :idea: what about a potato harvester :-D

Not Barmine, but guess it is the predecessor?

OK Richard I was only getting you to commit yourself to mines or potatoes. It only specifies Mk 7, mine that is. Full details of other mines in another publication, which I have, but is not easy to find as I'm catalogueing the 61 documents that I gathered at W&P.

The trailer does look like an agricultural device & one bloke does look as if he is reading a book. But here it is, Minelayer, Mechanical, Towed Equipment, Mk 1. The truck is dragged along by a bulldozer.

App1320.jpg

Just wait for MO No.100. That contains multiple objects :evil:

OK Richard I was only getting you to commit yourself to mines or potatoes. It only specifies Mk 7, mine that is. Full details of other mines in another publication, which I have, but is not easy to find as I'm catalogueing the 61 documents that I gathered at W&P.

The trailer does look like an agricultural device & one bloke does look as if he is reading a book. But here it is, Minelayer, Mechanical, Towed Equipment, Mk 1. The truck is dragged along by a bulldozer.

The mention of potatoes and agricultural devices is not a silly as you may think. When an apprentice at a Massey Ferguson distributor, we had to overhaul a Barmine layer for the Army, and it used a few MF parts, like the discs for covering over.

Yep, Minelayer, Mechanical, Towed Equipment, Mk 1 commonly known as the beast was primarily for laying Mk 7 Double Impulse (DI) fuzed mines. Single Impulse and mines with anti handling or AD fuzes were laid by hand. The mines were passed along from man to man -one opening cap up , next placing fuze then arming and replacing cap before sliding it down the chute to be covered over etc- used in large minefields with long mine rows and mainly at night.

Ok in good weather but bl**dy freezing just sitting there in rain/snow etc. Good card table too when not laying lol

gary