Jump to content

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 07/20/2020 in all areas

  1. Evening All, One thing that I never throw away is Oak, I can always find a use for it. The panzer needs a jacking block as part of it's tool kit and as I had some large off cuts left over from when I built our extension, out came the chain saw. Most of the original blocks that I have seen have been made from several pieces joined together but I decided to make it out of one lump. The block in its holding bracket. I decided to use a new fire extinguisher painted to recreate an original, my thinking is, if there is a fire it would be nice to know that i
    1 point
  2. Hello all, After a bit of looking around on hmvf I decided to sign up, so here is my introduction. As the title stated, I'm from the Netherlands, 21 years young, history enthusiast (20th century mostly), volunteer at a museum and proud Ford Eight 7Y owner. In daily life I work as a car mechanic. The Ford was build in 1938 and we are almost 2 years together. I'm doing a lot of research on RAF staff cars as I'm planning to make it one. I don't know if it's the proper way to ask it in my introduction but if anyone has photos of the Ford 8 7y in military service during WW2 I would be so
    0 points
  3. Well, despite evreryone's kind thoughts and suggestions, I still don't quite have my head around the bottom tank even though it looks easier. I have, therefore started on the pattern for the top tank! First thing to do was have a good look at it. No obvious part lines on the top but it had been polished at some time. The badge text shows signs of porosity which suggests that it was at the top of the mould during the pour. An extra challenge in the shape of some internal baffling. Two rebates on the back with undercut flanges. Some interesting markin
    0 points
  4. A few more pictures of the cab started the other said almost there with the bottom half
    0 points
  5. Thanks, I am based near Birmingham, my usual foundry appears to have been on holiday this week but has the advantage that I can get there in my lunch breaks. Good to know there are others out there. Not too much progress on this particular project this week, I have just been putting metal back onto some of the body ironwork where it has been cut or broken off. The repair pieces are being machined from EN3 steel and arc welded to the wrought iron. These ones make up the back corners of the body and carry the rear hoop.
    0 points
  6. With things slowly returning to normal and a dry forecast we decided yesterday would be a good opportunity to take the lorry out for a small drive. It has not been out of the garage for six months; not at all what we had planned back in January. We emptied the petrol out last time we used it so put four gallons in the tank and it started first swing. I have added a felt seal behind the fan belt pulley since the last drive; it has slowed but not eliminated the oil leak so I will need to revisit that at some point. Another task completed recently has been the reshaping of the headlamp
    0 points
  7. Another week behind us; time for a quick update. We enjoyed the company of visitors this weekend. Most welcome as we emerge from these strange times. Actually shook hands prior to their departure which was my first physical contact with a fellow human being since before lock-down. That said, I did wash my hands with soap and water afterwards, at my earliest convenience. So there have been a few tidying up jobs done this week. Advance and retard linkage and throttle linkage, prepped and painted, ready to go back on. The short link with the brass ends is not original, but did yield two
    0 points
  8. Dad was back on the Peerless today. The four Rear Hub Brake Linings have been riveted to their corresponding Brake Liners and these four sub assemblies are now ready to be attached to the Brake Shoes. They are to be attached with 5/16" csk screws which go right through the lining and liner and are nutted on the inner face of the shoe with slot nuts.
    0 points
  9. I've removed the two pre-war wingnut fastenings from the lid and filled the holes. I then drilled and pressed the divot in for the central knob which hopefully Brian T will make for me. I also managed to tack welded a new piece of sheet steel into the rotted base which I'll blend in with JB WELD when it arrives from ebay. Ron
    0 points
  10. Thanks for the swift identification and interest in my project. The only reference to Vickers Armstrong Onions I could find did relate to scrapers but the presence of a speedo drive and vacuum control persuaded me that this was unlikely! The project is a 1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 fitted with a 13.5 litre Hall Scott aero engine of the same period. The difficulty is how to gear it up by around 1:2 as the Hall Scott only revs to 1800 rpm. The intention is to use it as a road touring car not in competition so refinement and lack of gear noise are of importance. As the drive arrangement
    0 points
×
×
  • Create New...