Loyd Carrier

ajmac

I've just got off the phone to a guy who has two Lloyd Carrier hulks for sale, they were dragged off a range in Germany and are totally wrecked, only good for chassis, axles and possibly bits of bogies. Has anyone restored one on here? I'm interested to know if UC bogies will be interchangable, what the Ford axles are like to locate and how is the upper and lower hull constructed. There is no hull above the floor left on either chassis.....would I be welding, bolting or riviting? I have to ask as I've never seen a Lloyd in the flesh.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Grundy restored one some years ago. I think they were M/S steel plate so even replacing the strcture wouldn't be impossible, I surprised that Loyd carrier turned up. Have they sent you a photo as it could be a Universal -which were in German border Guard service into the 1960s. Most U/C parts are interchangable twin bogies, track, probably drive components, simple steering so none of that track warping nonsense, importantly compartitively rare= desirable

Steve

Edited by steveo578
grammar

Have they sent you a photo

Yup. See below, as you can see we are talking VERY little in the way of vehicle left!

Note the cut up Sherman in the back ground! Carrier No2 is on the right, chassis bent in two but with Engine and Gearbox. The guy runs a scrap yard in Germany, he said he was clearing this load as he was taking shipment of 20+ tanks (presume post war and I don't know what type) next month. If they don't go by then they will be put in the scrap bin to make room for the tanks.

Lloyd Chassis No2.jpg

Lloyd Chassis1.jpg

Lloyd Chassis 2.jpg

Edited by ajmac

That is really very sad, it would depend entirely on how badly bent the chassis is- is there enough to make a chassis ladder, there's a UC in the background,- I assume the gun is an M3 from a Sherman- upsidedown! That could be very worthwhile for trade-legalities not withstanding- I would hope the scrap guy allow you to take it away for scrap only price after picking off the totaled pieces, I haven't seen Eddys new carrier yet so I don't know whether he has sourced components for the armour cut off the pulpit, if not perhaps the UC might be a donor.

You would be very brave to take it on even assuming suficient chassis could be slavaged, very long term project possibly, I think most people would consider it insane.:shocked::-D

Steve

Alistair,

See http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/carriers/loyd.html and http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/carriers/loyd2.html for a Loyd restored in Holland from similar wrecks you show. Given you have (access to) good metalworking skills, it can be done!

The hull is made of angle iron brackets and sheet steel, the chassis is Ford Commercial / Truck. Running gear is identical to Universal Carrier.

HTH,

Hanno

Loyd

Oops I was being too liberal with the els there...Thanks for the manuals by the way, great reading, much more detailed than I expected and that from a manual that some say wasn't all that good, seems fine to me.

Edited by ajmac

I am guessing that Lloyd carriers are very rare, so if someone could save the remains from scrap in the first place, they could become a project for someone with the necessary skills in the future?

Noticed that there is a mortar trailer on milweb as well.

Dave.

Hi Guys,

this isn´t donor vehicle, but real business!!!

Here is answer on my question to the seller.

Price for 2 each chassis,one bended with many spares,one restorable as well as one hull damaged from bren/Lloyd carrier is 2500 Euros firm.

Also awailable one each complete steel track for 1250 Euros and one complete V8 powerpack very nice condition with radiator which fits into the carrier for 1800 Euros.

For this very low price the lot is perfect for monument display, restoration possible with a lot of work.

Best regards

Jean

Everything has come together.... they are going to be mine :-)

Collection in July if the seller accepts my offer, need to wait until Monday morning now...:-D

Now, who has one I can crawl over for a day with a camera, tape measure and note pad? Just like my 1:32 days but 1:1 and less plastic! I better start calling in a lot of favours now, anyone got four UC front bogies with wheels? Time plan, no more than five years.

Adrian, I don't suppose you have a Loyd Technical Manual in the same pile as the T16 one? Anyone else? CD will do.

Edited by ajmac

alistair

watch out for these guys as they've got you over a barrel,if you drive all the way there and they say the price is now higher you'll be shafted and they know it, how you could guarantee the price you agree with them over the phone i don't know, i doubt a scrapper will give you a written invoice beforehand, you'll have to go with your gut instinct but just remember nobody else will be brave enough to buy them and scrap is only £130/ton.

it might be difficult but it sounds like a great adventure,if you need a hand give me a shout.

all the best eddy

ps don't buy the engine you can get a good runner here for that price, i can get you a g/box for £40

Done the deal, both wrecks are now mine, to be collected middle of July.

Does anyone have an idea of a Loyds weight without the upper structure and no track?

I'd like to trailer them back but I think it's going to be too heavy in the end, 3.5 tonnes is the sellers reckoning:shocked:

Anyone with a cunning plan?

Seems that renting a 7.5 tonne truck is the easiest option but how much will that cost in the tunnel! I'll have to make enquiries.

Well done! Not sure I'd have announced it till I got them home.....:D

Too true, could be the harbinger of bad luck. Jamac is very happy about it all, which I suppose is half the battle!

I was planning to speak to you about fuel tanks...after seeing your M10 works of art.... but that is way off, steady and methodical is the name of the game.

Too true, could be the harbinger of bad luck. Jamac is very happy about it all, which I suppose is half the battle!

I was planning to speak to you about fuel tanks...after seeing your M10 works of art.... but that is way off, steady and methodical is the name of the game.

I'm sure it will all be fine, I think you've made an excellent choice!

Steady and methodical is alright but I would get what you can when you can if original parts are offered. This stuff is from a finite source and there is not much of it about.

Agreed, but that nasty stuff called money may scupper me some of the time.

It continues to astonish me how people pull together with MVs, I got a mail today from a chap in Holland who has a 100% original Loyd undergoing rebuild, patterns, dimensions, photos, the lot are available. Any help I need apparently.

Edited by ajmac

hi alistair

glad to see you've got something in the bag and they don't get much better than a loyd carrier you won't be wasting your time with one of them.

i reckon you'll be fine with a trailer as i doubt the chassis will weigh more than a ton each, i'd chance it but you might struggle with loading 2 bent chassis onto a trailer so it's more of an awkward size issue than weight and it's a very long way to go to find that it won't fit on. i'd be tempted to hire a large van to tow it, that way you would have the back of the van for stowage as well.

all the best

eddy

Edited by eddy8men