Spotted today....

Richard Farrant

A400M Atlas the replacement for the C130 Hercules flying over the Conwy Valley. The Hercs usually fly so low over the river that the prop wash is visible on the water but the Atlas was much higher. This particular aircraft may not have been delivered yet but could have come from Airbus at Broughton near Chester. This is a designated low flying area and we get a large variety of British, American and NATO aircraft overhead every day, the most common being the Hawks from Valley, Anglesey.

So that is what flew over our house last Friday, I thought it was a Hercules at first, then I noticed the higher tail plane. We get a lot of unusual aircraft flying over as we are on the edge of Salisbury Plain.

So that is what flew over our house last Friday, I thought it was a Hercules at first, then I noticed the higher tail plane. We get a lot of unusual aircraft flying over as we are on the edge of Salisbury Plain.

Apparently there are only 6 in service so far, there have been a lot of problems both engine wise and structurally.

think its now close to 30 in service now across the nations, the Uk may only have a handful as of yet but they are taking 22 or so in total, they had a lot of teething troubles with the new engine design and the italians buggered up a batch of gearboxes, which didn't help, think the wings were falling off at one time too, but think she is basically working fine now, and is a great deal bigger (payload) quieter, faster and more reliable than the old hercules...

Green Goddess and caravan heading East on the A64 Malton Bypass this afternoon about 16.30

Is there a Fire Engine rally somewhere in N Yorks this weekend?

I saw a 1950s Dennis pump this morning at the same place, a newish Humberside tender and 1 other nearby as well.

Sean yes I have been rumbled then! I had wondered whether any forum spotters would have seen us on the M3, M4 Thursday last week. It was a bit hairy getting that low loader up the lanes. The drop down point I chose was where stones had been filled in the ditches when they recently had to get the parts for a wind turbine on a local hill. Otherwise we would have been sunk.

No, still not got a phone connection from a company that keeps cancelling my order & won't tell that they have done so. Waste an hour or two each day trying to get some sense & honesty about what is or is not happening. Just get conflicting information or they just hang up on me or disconnect from on line "chat" because the problem seems too much effort to resolve.

At present at Evsham in the rain, but at least getting a strong 4G signal.:-D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was passing through Leyburn Nth Yorkshire yesterday (Sat 23rd) about 16.00

When I came across a number of Jeeps and other Historic Military vehicles plus bodies in various uniforms.

I could not stop but appeared to be at least 10 vehicles on the Market Place amongst various other vehicles and stalls.

Anymore detail known?

Approx 20 MAN HX60 4 wheeler canvas tops with reg prefix ?? PT ?? at HRVS MAN on the D Road, Stoke.

Odd, all British MANs have 2 letter 2 number 2 letter registrations, were they from a foreign army on exercise or have we been invaded?

Was passing through Leyburn Nth Yorkshire yesterday (Sat 23rd) about 16.00

When I came across a number of Jeeps and other Historic Military vehicles plus bodies in various uniforms.

I could not stop but appeared to be at least 10 vehicles on the Market Place amongst various other vehicles and stalls.

Anymore detail known?

I spoke to one of Metcalfe Farms drivers who was collecting a vehicle from us this afternoon, apparently there is a 1940s weekend in Leyburn around this time every year, the driver I spoke to lives in Leyburn, and told me that there was about 30 vehicles in the market place.

• 4 weeks later...

Around 3:15pm today there was a large plane flying east to west along the Hampshire Berkshire border, a few miles south of Reading. I only saw it in profile so it must have been very low and appeared to traveling very slowly, the drone of it suggested piston/prop engines and it seemed to have a huge tail in comparison to the rest of it, the fuselage tapering away well behind the tail. I've looked on Flightradar24 and can't see anything in that area at that time. I wasn't alone in stopping to watch it and everyone had the same question - 'What the hell was that?'!!! It looked US WW2 to me but a positive ID would be appreciated.

Anyone else see it or know what it might have been?

Wonder how many more images of kit being transported there are

Was navigating along Google street view to Thorney Island airfield/barracks and saw this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117968[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]117969[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]117970[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]117971[/ATTACH]

Around 3:15pm today there was a large plane flying east to west along the Hampshire Berkshire border, a few miles south of Reading. I only saw it in profile so it must have been very low and appeared to traveling very slowly, the drone of it suggested piston/prop engines and it seemed to have a huge tail in comparison to the rest of it, the fuselage tapering away well behind the tail. I've looked on Flightradar24 and can't see anything in that area at that time. I wasn't alone in stopping to watch it and everyone had the same question - 'What the hell was that?'!!! It looked US WW2 to me but a positive ID would be appreciated.

Anyone else see it or know what it might have been?

Seems unlikely as you thought WW2 but could it possibly have been an A400M that I mentioned earlier in this thread?