Reporting Live from the Hop Farm

Marmite!!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

A quick up-date and review of War and Peace so far as I am in-between night duties.

Arrived on the Sunday towing the Brockhouse and Ben Hur with the Ward, followed by the naughty-nurse (Mrs Heliops).

Thanks to Lee for reserving my usual space.

I intended to have a relaxing week prior to the start of the show but as you will have seen - didn’t quite work out like I intended.

The Hippy Camp.

I offered to show the kids on site some of our vehicles if the organisers were okay with us coming over. Things started well and the kids invaded the Fox and 432. I answered questions of the 432 as did Lee. It was then pointed out that some 18 year old Herbert had sign written my vehicle with Anarchy Rules, etc. I must point out my response to this act of vandalism would normally be to jump down and give the youth a painful lesson in respecting someone else’s property. However, I chose the more intelligent approach.

I asked the spotty moron if he actually knew what Anarchy meant. He gave me some reply about everyone loving each other, etc. I then proceeded to educate him in what the term Anarchy actually means. I also pointed out to him that I had experienced Anarchy in Bosnia when I served there and described in great detail some of the horrific things I had encountered during my tours of the Balkans. Needless to say, I made the young chap look rather foolish in front of a very large crowd and by the end of the educational discussion, made the moron see sense. To his credit, the young chap admitted he had been a twat and we shook hands.

1-0 to the MV owners.

Once the above had been sorted, I was approached by a not to shabby young lady who I later found out to be a CND activist who was known for causing a few problems. Her first words to me were I was displaying a “Tool of Murder” (meaning the 432) and I was a murderer for using it. Here we go again I thought. An even larger crowd had assembled for round two.

The discussion went to and fro. She wanted an ideal world - (don’t we all) - I agreed with her ideas but insisted she removed the tag of me being a murderer and the 432 being a murderers tool. She was having none of it. I explained when I used a 432 in Bosnia, it was for peace-keeping duties to stop people murdering each other but she still insisted I had blood on my hands. Time for another approach I thought.

The hippy camp (as Lee and I like to refer to it) was a camp for children being educated at home) for whatever reason. As our discussion went on and on, I asked her about WWII and should we have fought it to stop the Nazis. She openly admitted, in front of a very large crowd, she knew nothing of WWII so could not comment. This coming from a lady who taught her own children at home! Surely I asked, if the generation of tomorrow are to stop the wars and bloodshed, they need to know about the mistakes made in the past. She flustered for a few seconds and then replied her children were taught what she wanted them to know.

I was now on a roll. I advised her if she only taught her children what she wanted them to know - she is dictating what her children will learn and is not allowing them freedom of choice - hence she is a dictator!!! On top of that, she was the only voice against us showing the children the vehicles where as a couple of thousand people in the camp were more than happy. If we left, her single wish was going to effect the entire camp - hence (you’ve guessed it - that makes her a dictator.

2-0 to the MV owners.

She then proceeded to start on about the Middle East and how badly the Israelis were treating the Palestinians. I would have been in trouble here as I don’t know much about the Middle East crisis apart from it started after WWII and was mainly due to the conditions imposed after the end of the war. I need not have worried. As she was in full rant, a gentleman stepped from the crowd and explained he was from Israel and knew a lot more about it than she did. His own words were - “you see the world through the eyes of an angel but talk S***.

Shortly afterwards we left the camp after being thanked by the organisers for showing the vehicles and having a healthy debate.

All in all it was an eventful visit but went okay as the organisers invited us back for beers later. I accepted but Lee and Ian declined. I think they were a bit unsure what may have awaited us later on in the Love Circle.

I had a good time and even ended up with my arm up a young lady’s skirt - as she had a crafty cigarette - but that’s another story.

More later on the 432 saga.

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

As we returned from Viet-hippy-camp, I noticed the oil pressure light come on in the 432. I took the APC over to Sean and the lovely Mrs Sean as they wanted to have a play. Just top it up with oil Sean and off you go.

Well, 10 litres later I became concerned as nothing appeared on the dip-stick. I knew the oil level had been fine as I checked and topped up the oil level prior the trip to Bromley and the 432 had not been out since then.

I checked the thing over and found oil in the coolant and oil in the hull floor.

Okay - faced with a big problem and the power pack had to be removed. Not what I wanted to do but didn’t have much choice really.

Before I go any further - a massive thank you to Sean, Joe and friends and Lee and Ian and others who have come to my rescue. Words really aren’t sufficient for what they have and are doing to help me get the 432 back on the road. No doubt it will cost me a load eventually - only joking.

It took all of 3 seconds to talk Sean into helping - it went something like this…………..

Sean, I need to remove the 432 power pack mate -

Okay, be there in a few minutes………………………………......

Lee and Ian have been doing lots of running around for bits etc. They even drove down to a hose dealer in Dartford for me. The hose people couldn’t help but it’s the thought that matters. And they have been feeding me for most of the week. They must think they have another kid in the camp. Many thanks guys.

The 432 saga is progressing well.

A power pack was organised from a source and actually delivered the next day. Biggest problem was obtaining a pack lifting frame. Andy Ellis brought one down but it had been made incorrectly and couldn’t be used. Obtained another from the same source as the pack.

The pictures will tell you the story. As it stands at this time -

Power pack is removed and awaiting steam cleaning.

The hull needs to be emptied of oil and steam cleaned - I’m sure pictures of me in my tele-tubby suit will surface at some point.

Heat exchanger and broken pipe needs replacing.

Replace radiator.

Service the power pack with new filters, etc.

Run up power pack outside hull to ensure correct operation.

Refit power pack and cross fingers.

I hope to have the thing running again by Wednesday.

Once again - not possible without the help and co-operation of many friends from the forum and my eternal thanks.

If you’re passing - stop and say hi but don’t expect any tea of coffee - Lee and Sean have drunk it all!!!!

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

I see you've changed wreckers, do we dare to assume that Steve's Militant is a better tool for this job than the WLF?

I assume the hydraulic extending jib is easier to control and possibly slightly longer reach.

Just noticed that Mark's Ward has a similar modification around the rear winch to mine albeit with longer rollers.

DSC_0066-1.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

I see you've changed wreckers, do we dare to assume that Steve's Militant is a better tool for this job than the WLF?

It pains me to say it - but yes - Steve's Militant was a much better tool to use due to the extra reach.

The Ward did have the height and reach but as Steve offered to play it would have been foolish to use the Ward and run out of reach at a critical moment. Once lifted, the pack has to come out. There is no putting it down and re-positioning.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Ward had the reach but as you would have seen from the photos - it was right on the limit.

Many thanks to Steve for playing - top crane operator. You need one when pulling a pack from a 432.

I'm off duty in an hour then back to the Hop Farm for the remainder. Looking forward to completing the power pack change as Lee and Sean were drinking too much coffee to get the job done whilst I was at work.

I don't know - whilst the boss is away and all that.

See you there.

Thats a french army mod. Much stronger than the original system which required a separate a frame and snatch lock as a diverter!

Thanks Vince,

They both look a similar and simpler way of doing the job than the frame hanging out of the rear. Last I recall seeing Mark Heliops had the frame though?

Sorry to but in, but is it worth poping in today ?

I get the feeling it's filling up quite quick, much to see ? and are they charging for entry ?

Andy.

I just drove in through the exhibitors entrance on Saturday, no charge. Worth a look Andy.

Edited by gritineye

It pains me to say it - but yes - Steve's Militant was a much better tool to use due to the extra reach.

And it pains me to say that an Explorer would have been an even worse tool, although I'm sure I have seen a pic of one being used for this type of job.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Just got back from the show,now in London.We arrived and was imediately shown a nice spot next to the helicoptor by Lee:shocked:It was very Windy and took an age to put the tent up and get sorted,half way through it i must admit i wondered why i was doing it.

1960s sprite caravan needed.

otherwise it s curtains.

Was directed to the fish shop by Nick about 3 miles away,any way 20 miles later we finally find it,Tip of the day.allways turn round,never carry on till the next left then the next left.:confused:

The Dodgy squadies then hurled a load of abuse as i hadnt taken the champ,later Pat was threatened with sticks to divulge the secret engine.:nono:

The line up for the convoy to Groombridge show never happened.Greyham G,young gun and Lee enfield and a lt/wt owned by Piet never the less

moved out to give it a try.I left later intending to pay as a mop.

We arrived and due to bad planning the lane was blocked each way,the locals were o/takeing us then meeting head on on the wrong side of the rd.:shake:There was no obvious signs to public parking,we went with the flow and ended up at the exhibitors entrance,a bloke asked me my number ,i said i didnt have one,he replied militarys at the far end,so we were in:cool2:

There was a good selection of vehicles.a couple of good flying displays one was a Harvard,we had to leave before the next one as a phone call told us the tent was blown down:argh:

some great model flying,an interesting house and gdns,well worth a visit and to top it all we got a plaque when we left and we wasnt even entered,how bads that.

Nothing ever changes at W&P,dispite huge signs warning that thr RD traffic act is in force.There was a never ending column of idiots and not all of them young roaring around on quads even though there not allowed all sorts of other stuff two kids in an off rd buggy the oldest must of been 10 using the place as a race track.Outside our pitch one such idiot o/took a LT/WT as he was turning right.another one went behind me when i was reversing its a mad house.Now i am no kill Joy but these idiots wont chucking out.along with the group partying till 4am singing racial songs.

Lee has a neighbour with two pit balls barking all day,he has painted red cross or something on a car and has a blue tent that would be at home on a caravan site,But he comes every year so thats ok?nah chuck him out.

I have said it before if it wasnt for all the new people i have met thro HMVF.i would give it a miss.Will i be going back tomorrow,well ok you talked me into it.:rofl:will i take the champ ?probably not :coffee:cw

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

We went to Groombridge and caught up with the convoy in Tunbridge Wells. We mised the convoy leaving as we were at 6's n 7's in the morning. Our tent collapsed a bit aswell. We came back on the train earlier and we are heading back down on Tuesday evening. Had a good weekend in my view.

Hopefully see you all there from Thursday onwards......i got a lot of stuff to buy including some more MB spares and a flysheet for my small wall from some dodgy bloke from Dorset ?

Any up to the minute weather reports from COMZ ?

Regards

Lloyd

Banana cake and chocolate fruit & nut cake have been passed by quality control me. All i've got to do is make sure they travel well :coffee:
mmmmmmmmmm make sure there is some left for Saturday when I come down :)