Robert Wynn & Sons

This is a South Wales Argus shot from Wynns' centenary parade. Their two Lorain cranes are leading a Matador timber drag. WDW882/187 was registered 3/61 to Wynns Engineering Ltd. PDW504/268 in August 1958. Not sure which models these were - any ideas?

The Matador LUW348/223 is an interesting 1953 acquisition from Pickfords. It was a ballast tractor in Manchester and was among nine vehicles acquired. It was rebuilt by Nash and Morgan and was one of three Mats used on timber work.

The parade has just passed Wynns Shaftesbury Street yard.

Wynn415.jpg

This was probably the last military vehicle owned by Wynns. It was the Wrekin Roadways tackle wagon and passed to the new Stafford-based company. It probably didn't last long as Wynns themselves had bought new Bedfords for the work.

Wynn613.jpg

The description on these Alcan photos says "167 ton casting from Sheffield to Rogerstone via Coventry, Buckingham, Bicester and Chipping Norton. Presumably it was off loaded for the rail crossing at Gloucester.

The date is April 1960

Diamond T 266/PDW321 is leading followed by Pacific 193/HDW122.

In the second view another DT 212/HDW572, Wynns 9th, a 981 model, has arrived - on tradeplates!

It would have been an experience to watch this going through the Cotswolds.

Superb pictures John, quite how they threaded that lot through Buckingham as it was 1960 is totally beyond me. The load looks like a roll housing, so they would have to repeat the move with the second one.

According to Bart the RAF used the MC3 6x4 Lorain, US forces used models MC2, MC3 and MC4 models in both 6x4 and 6x6 configurations.

Thank you for posting the photos, really interesting and brings back many memories.More please.:-D

Edited by Degsy

I have been looking for a good picture of one of the Karrier tackle wagons but so far this is the best I've found. They are in the background of some early photos. Always hidden behind a WLF!

The Nubians replaced them and then the Matadors. There were three registered from 1948 to 1953. [EDW710, HDW249 and JDW621]It's likely they were bought together because EDW911 was to have been another but was cancelled at that time.

Is this the "GS" model?

Wynn307.jpg

Wynn275.jpg

I have been looking for a good picture of one of the Karrier tackle wagons but so far this is the best I've found. They are in the background of some early photos. Always hidden behind a WLF!

The Nubians replaced them and then the Matadors. There were three registered from 1948 to 1953. [EDW710, HDW249 and JDW621]It's likely they were bought together because EDW911 was to have been another but was cancelled at that time.

Is this the "GS" model?

Yes they appear to be GS. The one in the 2nd photo is fitted with a 4.5 ton underbody winch. Vehicles without a winch had a wheel arch body.

Les

I have the Fodens as DG10s from the chassis records. I will check again.

The first Diamond T came from Scimmons [unclear] and Sons 4/3/47. A month later four more arrived from Diamond T Motors.

The first two xwd vehicles were Scammells 135/6 on 1st July 1946.

John

Third registered was EDW868/165 registered in August 1948.

The professional photo was taken by a company in Andover - date unknown. KDW560 is following.

Taking a break now to travel.

Looking through my Wynns fleet list at the ones that got away:-

Guy Ant/Quad Ant tippers - there was a photo on the office wall in the old company building

20 - a USN Dodge ambulance used as a service van. Painted blue

271 - An AEC O854 Royal Navy tanker, also blue, used at the NCB works.

Two Crossley tackle wagons and finally

A Ford half track bought in 1947 from Tydesley Garages and probably used on timber work in Mid Wales

Wynn455.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A posed shot of FDW61/66 in the general area of where the future BRS Newport depot would be. FDW61 become 1G30 with BRS and lasted until 1951. The Wynns GS Fodens are the only ones I can find in the Western BRS fleets.

Wynn498.jpg

Nice photo again UW, now that one is a mystery it has the cab of the DG12 note the flat simplified mudguards but the running gear of a DG10 civilian type front wheels and twin rears must have been a bit of componant swapping going on in Wynns workshop

cheers

Les

FDW533/185 was registered in June 1949. It is looking the worse for wear when seen here in Swansea with the Welsh-designed Apollo prototype! Following is Ward La France FDW216/206.

Do you think that is just steam in the background?

Wynn518.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

It is well known that a Wynns transporter carrying a transformer was involved in the awful accident at Hixon level crossing in January 1968, when it was struck by an express train on the newly-installed AHB crossing.

The lead tractor of the outfit was Pacific HDW122 "Conqueror" but although it is clear from photos taken in the aftermath that the rear tractor was a Diamond T I have never been able to establish which one it was. Do any of the Wynns gurus on here know?

Neither tractor was damaged (at leat not significantly) in the accident, however the trailer was destroyed (for that matter, which trailer was it?), and the driver of the rear tractor was praised in the official report into the disaster for his attempts to accelerate the transporter over the crossing as the train approached, even though by doing so he was putting himself in mortal danger. The accident would have been worse had the drivers not done this since in the event the locomotive struck the rear swan-neck, rather than the 120-ton transformer itself.

As a youngster at the time, but already with a passion for both railways and heavy haulage, I can still vividly remember the shock of hearing of this accident and seeing the aftermath.

If anyone can shed any light on the identity of the rear tractor and also the trailer, I would be grateful.

Wow, never heard of that. Got any pics?

Is that Hixon as in where ALE are now based?

Richard (Ex ALE)

There's a lot of info online, it was a very major accident. Yes, it is the same Hixon, the old airfield was used by GEC as a temporary store for transformers. Unfortunately at that time the only access was over a level crossing (replaced with a bridge in 2002) which had recently had the (then newfangled) Automatic Half Barriers fitted. Due to a complete failure to undertand who was responsible for what, no-one phoned for permission to cross (everyone assumed that it was someone else's responsibility) and the rig was halfway across when the barriers came down.

In the final analysis the greatest burden of responsibility was placed by the official enquiry upon the management of Wynns for failing to make sure that their drivers knew what their responsibilities were. Particularly damning was the fact that there had not long earlier been a very near miss at a different crossing with a smaller Wynns vehicle which was reported to Wynns management, who then corresponded with BR and were told in no uncertain terms that they should ensure that their drivers knew how to use these crossings correctly because the trains cannot stop! Tragically, Wynns failed to do this, and lives were lost. A very black day in an otherwise extremely impressive company history.

If you google it (see link below) one of the links is to a pdf of the official report on the Railways Archive site. Whilst this is more detailed than most people want to read, it is the definitive document. It also has a number of photos including an aerial shot showing the Pacific "Conqueror" and the bonnet of the "mystery" DT.

It is also not widely known that during the clearing up operations Derby's rail-mounted 75-ton capacity steam breakdown crane overturned, adding further complexity to an already complex clear-up. There is a pathe news clip (during which the toppled crane can be glimpsed) at http://www.britishpathe.com/video/train-crash-1

Main link to google search:-

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hixon+level+crossing+disaster

Edited by utt61
Spelling (as usual!)

Going south down the A49 this afternoon caught a quick glimpse of two trucks, one of which was definitely a Scammel parked in a garage and marked Wynn's Heavy Haulage. Hoped to get a better look on the way back but it was as black as a witches t-- and pouring with rain and I never even saw the garage. I think it would be close to the Shropshire/ Hereford border and on the western side of the road.