Robert Wynn & Sons

Here is a very small and slightly cropped photo taken from the official report and posted on the Railways Archive website (http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=125). This photo gives a good impression of the damage caused by a near immovable object being struck by a near irrestible force! Note in particular that the lead Pacific "Conqueror" is visible bottom left, and the bonnet of the pusher Diamond T is just visible bottom right. The "L"-shaped piece of debris at the top centre of the photo is, as far as I can determine, one of the rear swan-neck girders from the trailer, which has come to rest approximately 25 yards further from the point of impact than the locomotive.

Sadly 11 people, including two crew in the locomotive cab, died in this accident, although had the circumstances been ever so slightly different and had the Wynns drivers not managed to move the last few yards, the outcome could have been far worse.

event125_1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi lads. I require colour photos if possible of the following R Wynn's Diamond T's FDW 533 & RDW 976. I have the photos from Les's book, but require more of these two vehicles please, not interested in any other Diamond T, just these two please. Thanking you in advance, if you have any info on either or bot these T's I would be grateful in hearing it, also what happened them them .

Dizzy-t:tup::

• 5 years later...

It's been a very long time since this thread saw any action, but since the posts I made above I now believe that the rear tractor involved at Hixon was one of the Anderson-cabbed DT's, since photos have come to light which suggest the Anderson silhouette rather than the small cab silhouette.

I think that this narrows it down to one of three tractors, but I still would be interested in knowing which it was if anyone knows.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2009 at 2:02 AM, Tony B said:

Is it Wynn who is reputed to have bought Diamond T's after seeing the skid marks they left on the road? There was a BBC radio programme about the company some years back.

I have heard that as well, they bought one direct from America, it never went into the Military service, they had 30 Diamond T's altogether, & Pickfords had 12

• 3 years later...

Green Barn Services

***Edit - we have now established that it was not owned by Hills of Botley but another 'Hills'. More info to follow. ***
We are pleased to announce that we have just acquired a unique Ward laFrance heavy wrecker for restoration.
3624 DW (fleet no. 201) is one of seven of this type acquired by the legendary heavy haulage firm Wynns of Newport and was used for winching and craning work.
Several of these trucks were heavily modified with new cabs and new front sheet metal, and new rear bodies. A large number of interesting mechanical modifications were also made. They were also re-engined with Gardner diesels, replacing the horrendously thirsty and under-powered original petrol engines. An extension (fly) jib was carried to increase reach for steel erection work.
When Wynns’ business closed down this truck was acquired by another famous heavy haulage firm, Hills of Botley.
The truck has been stored outside for many years and as a result it is in very poor condition however it is at least complete. It is intended that the truck will be restored in Wynns’ colours.
The truck is fitted with a Gardner 6LX engine mated to the original gearbox. There are a large number of interesting modifications to the truck which will be detailed in future posts.