I am serving in the US army, and am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I am a 15B (helicopter power turbine engine mechanic), with a background in fabrication before the army, and a penchant for modifying anything mechanical that I sit next to for too long (and I married a physicist/mechanical engineer).

I am interested in buying my first wheeled armored vehicle when I return. Since this will be my first, I am looking for some advice on what would be good to start with (I would like an APC, although I am partial to the Ferret).The good news is that my Wife is supporting me in this, and rather likes the idea (she suggested a tank in all seriousness just to keep me from buying more firearms). The bad news is that while I am over here, I don't have much time to do research.

:sweat:Now here's your excuse to hate me: historical accuracy is not my primary concern, I am not a stickler for every fire extinguisher and every shovel being included; for example, I am looking into weather there is an easy(ish) engine swap for the Ferret to increase its speed/power.

My main concern is functionality, which is why I admire these vehicles as much as I do. I am also amazed at how easily these vehicles are upgraded to fit in among vehicles less than half their age. I also don't mind a fixer-upper that isn't too far gone, if the price is right.

Is there any place that any one can recommend in the USA to do business with? Are there any tank bone yards like they have for the aircraft?

Thank you very much for your help (and for even reading all of this),

:coffee:

SPC Davis, Nathan

Dco 4/101 TF Wings

Edited by Slimjim34655

Well, let me clarify then, to help narrow things down.

I am working on a tight budget (under $10,000).

I want a wheeled vehicle so I can drive it on the road.

I am not concerned with availability of accessories like original coms. or shovels.

I am interested in ease of engine conversion

-if this hasn't been done yet, than I'll be the pioneer then (and the main concern becomes space in the engine bay).

I would like for the vehicle to have fairly decent off road capability

-rules out the pig, unless I'm mistaken.

I am able to do a variety of mechanical work as well as fabrication, but I'm not looking for a project that will take over a year to have it running and in good shape (I know these projects are never finished).

Thanks for the warm wishes every one!

I think you need to get some experience with the B60 in the Ferret before deciding to remove it and put something else in. It's a great engine, very reliable and it makes a lovely noise... the Ferret is not slow, and lets face it you wouldn't want to go any faster without doing something about the brakes. It'll do 55 without complaining.

You won't find any US armour sitting in yards over there, it all gets destroyed. If you want wheeled armour you're kind of limited to the Ferret, Saracen or if you have lots of cash a Saxon, all have to come from the UK so won't be cheap. The best bet is to check ebay.com and the various US dealers websites and see what comes up.

Well I've been emailing around like crazy (places in the UK as well), and I've only gotten a reply from one place in the US: Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles. They asked when I would be getting back, and they'd see what they could come up with... Then no reply to my answer. I guess I'm just a little antsy, I don't like planning a project without a good idea of price.

I don't even know if I want to find out how much shipping from the UK would be on a Ferret...

Although apparently the wife was supporting this idea without even knowing that it can be registered and driven on the road... So she's even more excited now thinking about picking up groceries in a tank.

I'm just a little flustered I guess.:computerrage:

The over sea's shipping on a roll on roll of ship is based on the cost per cubic meter of volume the vehicle takes up this was how I shipped my CCKW back from the Netherlands ,in 1990 is was less than $1000.00 There is shipping by container but I don't know what the costs are currently.

Bringing a foreign made HMV into the U.S. will include a bit of paperwork , perhaps one of the others knows the ins and out will be able to talk about that .

Hi SlimJim,

Good to see you made it in!! Welcome to the forum and please stay safe there in Afganistan.

Anyway, not much to add to this thread since I'm unfamiliar with the kit you are interested in.

Cheers,

Joris

Hello again, sorry about taking so long, we have been swamped with phase maintenance (they're flying the hell out of the birds).

Deuce: So if the vehicle runs, the seller hands the keys to the guys on the dock, they drive it onto the ship for its ride to America, then they drive it off and put it into a yard until I (or some one else) picks it up?

Joris:Thanks for the welcome, and as for your screaming ducks, my screaming chicken is highly offended :rofl:

The vehicle could be loaded that way I guess but I believe they were towed or pushed on and off as the two vehicles my friend and I had shipped were less batteries or fuel as far as i recall..it was 19 years ago . The outfit We purchased the CCKW's from arranged the shipping and documents , All we had to do was arrange for a tow truck company to pick them up from the holding area once they arrived in the USA.

fadedsun:

First off, thank you! Second, well I'm from the Tampa Bay area (Pasco county if you recognize that). But I wont be there to stay for another 2 years (when I get out of the army). Although if you could PM me the contact details, I would be very happy to look into it.

As of right now, I will be living in Tennessee until I get out.

Deuce:

Thank you for the info, that does make me a little more hopeful than I was before. Maybe ordering from the UK won't be so bad after all?

Edited by Slimjim34655

Deuce: So if the vehicle runs, the seller hands the keys to the guys on the dock, they drive it onto the ship for its ride to America, then they drive it off and put it into a yard until I (or some one else) picks it up?

I'm not sure I would be happy letting anyone drive a ferret (Saracen etc) who has not driven a pre-select gearbox before. They would most likley use the gear change pedal as a clutch?

If they are going to tow it, I would also make sure the forward/reverse lever is disengaged (someone here will be able to explain the reason, but I am sure towing with the transfer box enagaged is not a good thing).

Mick

If you are not too tall and like post-war British armour, the Ferret is an excellent choice. Don´t bother with any sort of engine swaps, it will not be worth the hassle.

It seems there are quite a number of ex-Canadian Army Ferrets floating around the US, see http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/for_sale.htm

I would look to find one of those before reverting to shipping one from the UK or mainland Europe.

Hope this helps and get back home safe!

Hanno

• 8 months later...

From what I can see in the detail pictures this is a Canadian Ferret. I would get rid of the Brit turret and clean her up and put her on the road.

Im thinking that a cash on the nail offer would budge the asking price.

Ferrets in my humble opinion are the best small wheeled armour to own as they can be road registered and driven to events.

I would not touch the engine, you say you are on a budget.

If you need a shovel I could help. . . .

R