1908 Dennis Truck

BenHawkins

As you should now end up with 7 blocks the only sensible thing to do is to build up a W & P six.:nut:

There is far more potential to build the three cylinder blocks up into something else if I have examples of all the other parts to copy.

Of course I would really need a surviving 6 cylinder chassis as well.

Hopefully we will have some more information on the engine in the next week but in anticipation I added the bonnet rear rest to my latest laser cutting order.

IMG_2864s.jpg

When certain what engine is being fitted there are a number of jobs like this that can be completed!

Hopefully we will have some more information on the engine in the next week but in anticipation I added the bonnet rear rest to my latest laser cutting order.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117879[/ATTACH]

When certain what engine is being fitted there are a number of jobs like this that can be completed!

Kens been busy today. Driven a Sentinel steam tractor 15odd miles this morning. The his own Aveling roller a similar distance tonight. I gave him a lift back.....

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was alerted to the engine post whilst at Beaulieu on Saturday. As soon as we were home I phoned Ken to see when he was available.

We went to see the engine at 3PM today, armed with an envelope stuffed with cash and I now have a similar photo, just this one at my house!

IMG_2936s.jpg

I would like to thank Ken and Hedd for all their help with this one. I could not be more happy with the purchase!

The safest way to look after it seemed to be to refit the mounting rails and screw some off cuts of wood from the house build to them so the engine no longer had to sit on its sump. The crankcase has the sump, timing gears, crank & cam shafts still fitted.

IMG_2940s.jpg

This shows the inlet manifold and carburettor arrangement. Complete with a bronze section to allow manifold heating.

IMG_2942s.jpg

Exhaust manifold and a section of exhaust pipe. One of the joining sections has a slight crack but should be repairable. The asbestos rope has now been bagged ready for disposal.

IMG_2945s.jpg

Starting handle, shaft and clutch.

IMG_2946s.jpg

Clutch release mechanism. This seems to match the holes in my chassis and the early general arrangement drawings. Hopefully I will discover how it works eventually

IMG_2947s.jpg

Full set of valve caps, dual spark plugs as commonly found of fire service engines.

IMG_2955s.jpg

The coolant bridging pieces. A total of five are required; there are only three usable ones and one broken one. However the pattern and core box should be fairly easy with something to copy.

IMG_2956s.jpg

Oil tank, pipes etc. Once again the brackets seem to match the holes in the chassis.

IMG_2957s.jpg

Distributor shaft and fibre tube to carry HT leads.

IMG_2958s.jpg

Throttle control linkages.

IMG_2959s.jpg

Coolant pipes, inlet and outlet from pump and return from rear cylinder to the radiator. Unfortunately the water pump and drive gear is missing so I will need to do a little more research on that one.

IMG_2960s.jpg

Cam followers, valves and springs. Unfortunately not a full set but relatively easy to copy.

IMG_2961s.jpg

Four (yes a full set) of cylinder blocks. 120mm bore so the 35HP engine, this is exactly the same external size as the 110mm (original) engine but an extra 7 RAC horse power. White and Poppe guaranteed 51BHP at normal speed.

IMG_2962s.jpg

Some scrubbing revealed the engine number, pretty clear as 4222. However when I looked at my records it appears to have started life in a Liverpool Salvage Corps tender rather than the portable pumping set frame shown in the photos from the 70s. Something else to research!

IMG_2963s.jpg

When loosely assembled it really does look promising!

IMG_2966s.jpg

If anyone's interested I have a belt driven lathe available.

Ex model engineer so not suitable for big stuff.

There were a chekko lathe recently on eBay ...I nearly bought it

That were down Norfolk

I don't think it sold

I've also got that small drills big brother...I'll bung a pic or three in when I get time