1908 Dennis Truck

BenHawkins

Many Australian woolsheds retain this method to drive two, four, or sometimes eight or more shearing plants. Spare shafting, outriggers/bearings, drive pulleys and belting is still a pretty common sight cluttering farm sheds. I was wondering how I could utilize that stuff..! Robert

Ben,

I know this is off thread but how do you know it is a WW1 shaper? It looks rather too modern to me (more functional, less decorative detail) but I don't have particular knowledge of Ormerod products so am happy to learn. Nice find though in that condition. Do you want a small ( 1 1/2 ton) planer project to go with it? I also thought that 'war finnish' was WW2.

David

I am pretty sure the shaper is WWI as all the fasteners are to BS190 pattern, these bolts became obsolete in 1924. Also Oremeod Brothers became the Ormerod Tool Company in 1918.

We will reinstate the line shafting in the workshop once we have finished building the house.

Ben

Progress is still very slow on the Dennis as I have been building a house/workshop for the past ten months.

The other weekend we collected an Ormerod shaper to go in the workshop. This one was built during WWI and has cast into the body "War Finish" to indicate that it was not finished to the usual high standard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77225[/ATTACH]

Does anyone know when "War Finish" was oficially adopted? I have seen machines from WWII but this is the first one I have seen from WWI.

Hopefully I will be able to post some photos of it making truck parts soon but I need to rig up a drive system as it was originally line shaft/flat belt driven.

Ben

`war finish` refers to WW2...thats what you have here....

check the linear slides for slap....you can take this up with the lock screws on the gib strips....but not too much...or it will lock up where the slideways havn`t worn....

WW1 machine tools were nearly all line driven.....that is to say flat belts from overhead linedrives the likes of which you can see in old pics of mills....

this was the norm back then...with one very large steam plant driving it all via ropes

here:

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Ormerod_Brothers

Edited by flandersflyer

• 2 months later...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62963[/ATTACH]

The cardboard cutout of the radiator is to help me get the size right. It is scaled from a photo but I could really do with a photo of one of these vans delivered to Carter Paterson in late 1908 so I can get it right.

Hi Ben. Does this help - from 1907. It has the shackle brackets but doesn't look tall enough.

IMG_0001.jpg

Best of luck Ben. I thought I'd a big job ahead of me!! Its worth persevering with. I've already tracked down a few bits for my Packard. By internet and thinking outside of the norm. From my experience with Dennis machinery in the past ( an f8 fire tender and a 1938 mower) there might be still a record of it in factory archives.

• 3 months later...
Hi Ben. Does this help - from 1907. It has the shackle brackets but doesn't look tall enough.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80050[/ATTACH]

At the start of 1908 they changed over to aluminium radiators with horizontal tubes but still shackle mount as shown in that advert.

I am still spending most of my time building the new house/workshop but do a little work towards the van here and there.

These are new castings for the gearbox end covers:

IMG_1430.jpg

Some of the drawings for the gearbox have survived but not all of them. There is also the original patent; it is a four speed model with a freewheel device.

Dennis gearbox.jpg

The overall dimensions of the case can be taken from the original shaft drawings and the shaft centre distance is easy to calculate from the gears used and the diametrical pitch used (6DP). The cylindrical part was easy to make; just turned a bowl and then split it in four.

IMG_1454.jpg

I cut the flange out with a jigsaw as a continuous piece (bridges will be cut out later) and glued on other turned sections.

IMG_1455.jpg

I laid the tapered side up in a lobster back arrangement. There are two layers so each join is supported. It actually ended up more rigid than I expected.

IMG_1480.jpg

There is still quite a lot to do including a core box for one part. The lower half of the gearbox is slightly more technical as it needs to carry the selector forks and the reverse shaft (I don't have drawings for either of these).

There is still quite a lot to do including a core box for one part.

Nice work Ben, as always.

I am still looking for a 6DP 14.5 PA HOB, just so you have no excuse not to use the ratchets.

Actually, I am happy to extend this, I will make gears for anyone if they can provide the hob and the blank, and if it is for a vehicle that interests me.

View this is a fisherman talking to fish-pie makers.. "Oh, very well, I will go try to catch you one of those, if you insist"

• 9 months later...

Work on the 1908 Dennis stopped for around two years whilst we built it a new home. The other weekend I enlisted the help of a local recovery company to move it to the new house.

The larger garage at the new premises should allow us the space to bolt on some of the other bits we have been working on.

WP_20140816_11_48_42_Smart.jpg

The main challenge is still to find a suitable engine. I am pretty sure we will have to make the radiator and gearbox from scratch but an engine seems one step too far.

...an engine seems one step too far.

This reminds me that the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum had made the moulds for the blocks of a bi-block commercial vehicle engine, so things are part way there if you are not to fussy as to the final design... (See The Automobile magazine, June 1988 for more info.)

• 4 weeks later...
This reminds me that the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum had made the moulds for the blocks of a bi-block commercial vehicle engine, so things are part way there if you are not to fussy as to the final design... (See The Automobile magazine, June 1988 for more info.)

Thanks, I have started pattern making for another cylinder block to complete the set of four. However I could fit something else if it turns up. I own a slightly more complete subsidy engine but it would be a really tight fit in the space available, sits 3" too high in the chassis and would require a special drive system making to the starting handle to clear the front cross member.

The original engine was purchased in from White and Poppe of Coventry so I don't have as many drawings for that as the parts manufactured by Dennis.

• 4 weeks later...

Found a picture of a larger version of my Ormerod shaper in a 1912 copy of Commercial Motor. Almost identical in most details so I am now more certain it is WWI.

ormerod.jpg

Progress is still very slow on the Dennis as I have been building a house/workshop for the past ten months.

The other weekend we collected an Ormerod shaper to go in the workshop. This one was built during WWI and has cast into the body "War Finish" to indicate that it was not finished to the usual high standard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77225[/ATTACH]

Does anyone know when "War Finish" was oficially adopted? I have seen machines from WWII but this is the first one I have seen from WWI.

Hopefully I will be able to post some photos of it making truck parts soon but I need to rig up a drive system as it was originally line shaft/flat belt driven.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hijack your thread, Ben but here is a pic of the McCurd which we took to Bletchley Park today. (We got very wet on the way home!). Can anyone tell me how many McCurds were used by the ASC? I know that they had at least one but have never seen any documentary evidence other than a single photograph.

Cheers!

Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65582[/ATTACH]

http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/McCurd

• 2 months later...

I have not done much work on this one recently.

IMG_2605.jpg

However whilst visiting a second hand machinery dealers to kit out the new workshop I came across this gear hob. New old stock never unwrapped from the original wax.

IMG_2602.jpg

It is marked up 6DP 29 Deg INC PA. This is the older standard pressure angle (14.5 degrees) as opposed to the "modern" 20 degrees. Just right to make the gears for this model and manufactured on 1-3-1919. Not quite as old as the vehicle but close.

I need to commit to which engine to fit in the near future. All the nearly complete (later) engines I have come across sit on top of the chassis with the crankshaft axis level with the top of the rails. The original engine would fit between the chassis rails and the crankshaft axis was level with the bottom of the chassis rails. If I fit a later engine it would not fit under the original bonnet height. It would be really nice to make the bonnet and radiator this year and make it look like a vehicle but deciding on the engine governs the pattern making for the gearbox and radiator.

The only work that does not need a decision on the engine is finishing off the handbrake. Does anyone know of a White and Poppe engine with four separate cylinder blocks sitting at the back of a shed somewhere?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The original radiator had horizontal tubes, the aluminium tanks on each side of the radiator had baffles to arrange the tubes in series.

As these could be fitted in to the same sheet of MDF as the brake drum rings for the 1914 Dennis they didn't cost any more to have made. There are still some other parts needed for the radiator sides but they are easier shapes to make.

IMG_2923.jpg

Hopefully we will glue all the bits together soon so it will make a bit more sense!

• 2 weeks later...

At Beaulieu on Saturday I purchased a George Grou rear lamp. This sort of completes a set of lamps as used on this lorry originally (one has the CP&Co asset tag).

IMG_3151.jpg

Unfortunately there are two right hand front lamps so I now have two incomplete sets of CP&Co lamps. We will have to see if the correct lamp turns up before an engine!