Originality

sirhc

IMy comments are because quite a few Explorer owners turn up at shows without the bonnet sides, and the engine is highly visible. The earlier comments related to an engine change, where it could not be seen, and only the noise it made gave away the change. Clearly the way a lot of people exhibit their Scammells they are making no attempt to be discreet, even often putting Rolls Royce badges or the like on their Scammells. Not quite the same as a diesel Land rover 2.25, dropped into the space left by a Petrol 2.25.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMy comments are because quite a few Explorer owners turn up at shows without the bonnet sides, and the engine is highly visible.

Bonnet sides being like rocking horse s**t, are you surprised?

Wouldn't it be nice if all petrol Explorer owners, who are duty bound to show off their engines, kindly donated their bonnet sides to cover Diesel engines................................just funnin'

Edited by gritineye

This thread seems to be bashing a lot of Land Rover owners in places but other vehicle owners are just as bad. My pet hate is the over stowage of kit on the SIDE of vehicles used in European area - every squaddie knows that if you did this your kit would get ripped off and lost!

Regarding yellow bridging plates on Land Rovers, the British Army order to change them to gray was given circa 1977 and yet my TA unit did not get rid of the yellow until early 1981 by which time they were painted NATO green - I know this as I have photographic proof. In fact when I stripped many layers of green off the bridge plate on my 1980 Lightweight it was also yellow, so perhaps the factory never got the the notification - and for the above reasons I have retained the yellow! Other than that my 12v GS is devoid of add on bits

Incidentally I cannot say I have ever seen a gray bridge plate in colour photos from that time (1977-80)

Going back to Chris's original thread as to originality. I saw some amazingly non original & TOTALLY incorrect vehicles at Beltring pass my stall.. I think if Chris had seen any of these, I can picture him with the vein bulging in the side of his neck, & scarlet in the face!!:argh:

After viewing some of these passing 'Examples',I am left with the thought.

'If I see this and it makes me uncomfortable, what do members of the public think?'.

I am talking here about blatetent non originality, such as bright green & black gloss cammo paint finish. MG's on made up mounts that would NEVER have armed certain softskins vehicles. FAR too many antennas on one vehicle Etc.

NOT, subtle convinience & safety improvements Etc.

mike.

15/19H overpainted our yellow bridge plates in grey on all our vehicles (mainly CVR(T)s, a handful of Ferrets and some Bs) during that period. I really cannot remember the year, but certainly between 1978 and 1981.

We regularly received Scorpoled (rolling modification programme) Scorpions: I cannot recall ever having to repaint a yellow bridge plate in grey after the one big bang of repainting. Come to think of it, the repaint was to apply IRR paint and I am fairly sure the bridge plate repaint was contemporaneous but I could be wrong. Would the date we got IRR paint help date the repaint better?

Going back to Chris's original thread as to originality. I saw some amazingly non original & TOTALLY incorrect vehicles at Beltring pass my stall.. I think if Chris had seen any of these, I can picture him with the vein bulging in the side of his neck, & scarlet in the face!!:argh:

After viewing some of these passing 'Examples',I am left with the thought.

'If I see this and it makes me uncomfortable, what do members of the public think?'.

I am talking here about blatetent non originality, such as bright green & black gloss cammo paint finish. MG's on made up mounts that would NEVER have armed certain softskins vehicles. FAR too many antennas on one vehicle Etc.

NOT, subtle convinience & safety improvements Etc.

mike.

Did you see the Lightweight with all the body panels removed and off road tyres?? One group next to my mate had more caravans than a holiday resort and all they took with them was a quad that supposedly broke down on the Monday. Cheap holiday me thinks... Oh and a machine gun got stolen in that area too.

Thanks for the lesson. Having spent 8 years in the British Army while you were picking your nose in school, I always wondered what DPM meant. Now a man of your experience has put me straight, cheers.:rofl:

DPM is DISPERSED Pattern Material.

A disruptive pattern consists of jagged shapes to break up the overall shape. ISTR that Denison smocks featured a disruptive pattern. What the rest of the army has worn since the late 60s is a dispersed pattern.

Disruptive camouflage is best represented by ships painted with big sharp triangles that break up their shape. One camouflage I consider to be disruptive by definition is the underside of early Second World War RAF aircraft, painted half black, half white.

A dispersed pattern consists of swirls to break up the pattern. See a combat jacket for details.

I'm surprised that discussing Landrovers causes so much passion, as they are usualy ignored as not big enough, old enough or rare enough!

I've certainly noticed that they are treated like Cinderella and not a "worthy" MV.

Its a funny thing, but I've spent the last thirteen years trying to keep my Landy totally original (the exception being a Weber carb and an overdrive), representing the first day it entered military service, the same as I always aim for with my MVs. Correct Goodyear tyres, correct 1960s rifle brackets, sticking with dynamo for charging rather than alternator, correct colour scheme, its actual unit markings, etc.

No bags, guns, or ammo cans hanging all over it.

And nobody gives it a second look!

If it was a Series 3 with aerials, roof beacons and chrome wheels it would probably have won best in show at War and Peace!

Aaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

End of whinge!

Edited by G506

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Beltring2009032-1.jpg

I saw this bloke at W&P absolutely original,WW2 french resistance,you wont find any kit wrong here.He was having a great time,everyone was taking pictures/video,even the French were stopping him.Come to think of it he could be my long lost brother.:-D

I never knew they had bright Yellow ~Wrist bands in the war.. you live and learn.. I thought sunglasses such as those came in the 1970s... ;)

Paul I think that is just the point, or in fact one of many! You know what he's like :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

ahem...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EX-MILITARY-ARMY-TANK-WORKING-AND-ROAD-LEGAL_W0QQitemZ320408616436QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4a99d77df4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Italian Snake skin [faux] leather seats

Italian Snake skin [faux] door padding and bullet proof window cover

Padded leather [faux] ceiling in cream

Padded leather [faux] walls in black and cream

Colour changing LED lighting

Blue down lighting spots

....and a Fridge!!

I guess "faux" means non-original :)

Edited by MiketheBike

Seen this one before, it didn't sell then and I don't think it will sell now! It's sad but these people think they are adding value to a vehicle by customising it, when in reality they are making it nearer worthless to any potential buyers. The 'bling' Ferret is the classic example, £10000 spent said the owner, he could only sell it for around £2000. If it was original it would have kept the value, if not appreciated.

ahem...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EX-MILITARY-ARMY-TANK-WORKING-AND-ROAD-LEGAL_W0QQitemZ320408616436QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4a99d77df4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Italian Snake skin [faux] leather seats

Italian Snake skin [faux] door padding and bullet proof window cover

Padded leather [faux] ceiling in cream

Padded leather [faux] walls in black and cream

Colour changing LED lighting

Blue down lighting spots

....and a Fridge!!

I guess "faux" means non-original :)

You've got to admire a person with dreams - and if he thinks he is getting £14K for that he MUST be dreaming!!! :rofl: :rofl:

....and a Fridge!!

I always liked the original tranche of Scorpions:

Hot running water (from the BV)

Cold running water (from the turret tank)

Air conditioning (from the NBC pack piped direct into the respirator)

Etc, etc. Maybe the subject of a new thread listing how a used car salesman might make selling points out of features on YOUR military vehicle?

"All MOD cons".