Originality

sirhc

But at least he can admit things are wrong with his vehichle.

We have started to branch this hread off far too much. On one hand we are talking about bolt ons or add ons and on the other we are talking about the originality of the vehichle i:e Engine in the vehichle etc. When Our guy bought his hellcat i instructed him to not got over the top with gear and just get a few mussette bags and a k ration box or too yet what people add onto their vehichle is surely up to them?

I mean say im a fool but if i owned a hellcat i would bolt on regardless of what other people say what I want.

Many thanks

Al

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has gone off at a tangent. My original thoughts were on bolting on things that clearly did not belong on the vehicle. Latest Bowman stickers on a vehicle which came out of service in the 70s or 80s. Random Wolf parts on a 110 etc. The comparison with the Hellcat would be fitting Clansman radios, a GPMG and marking it up as serving in Iraq in 2003. I don't think anyone would do this to the M18, but for some reason people do when it comes to Land Rovers. Anyway I think I've offended enough people now, maybe time to move on!

One of the half tracks i help with has loads of stupid un-original bits bolted on it which really annoys me. It also has "Caution this vehicle is left hand drive" instead of just "caution left hand drive" stencilled on the back. All he had to do was look at the other half track in the yard to see the correct stencilling.... The owner also bolted some extra horns on one side which meant you can't even lift the bonnet to check the engine oil! Shows where some peoples priorities lie.... (i bent them out of the way so i can check the oil level as the owner never does, and guess who ends up fixing it when it goes wrong.)

I understand your point and from the originality point of view you are right. But and this is where push comes to shov. If you own the vehichle you are entitled to do what you want with the vehichle. With your freinds halftrack yes he may have loads of pieces of equipment that arnt right or that dont match the era and may well have the extra horns that prevent stuff. But this is his vehichle if he would rather have his horns in the way so he cant check the oil fine, let him destroy his halftrack. At the end of the day we have stuff on the hellcat like chaffee tracks which arnt original but are you williing to fork out huge amounts of money to fit original hellcat tracks??

Its all a case of what the OWNER wants. And it may not look right but we have to deal with that

Many thanks

Al

I have seen military landrovers with civi style rear cross members and this was an inservice repair or even a change of chassis. Not to be forgotten is that to fill military orders landrover would also take standard vehicles of the production line to make up short notice orders.

|For me the paint is always a point on landrovers and for that a lot of british kit. When in servcice they would not be rubbed down to bare metal and respayed but painted over layers of paint. My leightweight has about 1/8 inch of paint on it. I repaint it every year to keep the colour right and have tried not to go over board with condition. Have a yellow bridge plate on her but when I got her direct from the RAF this was painted green. dont have the raidios in but do have emty wing boxes and aerials on, fittted an over drive but otherwise standard.

At Tankfest my favourite display was a T59 tucked away at the end of a line of immaculately presented tanks.

Sunday afternoon and apparently I was the first person over the two days to ID it correctly (though I didn't spot that the gun was now an in-service L7 replacement). The (formerly East) German owner was dead chuffed. It was scruffy and bent, with no markings at all, but just right in my view.

Very good point regarding the OP's gripes.

The first lightweight depicts a Series 11a vehicle, but the reg is 1980. Not too sure whether this is a genuine 2a??

It has a civvy tow hook on the front bumper, civilian tyres, and freewheel hubs as well. I'm not clued up on radio gear (even though I own a Defender 110 FFR) but this is not correct on this vehicle.

The Defender is a real mess, sorry. It has the wrong type of jerrycan holder doors on it, light guards on the front and rear, mud flaps, blue and amber lights with mesh guards, spot light on the drivers side top of door, snorkel (is it a Commando 110?), bonnet basket, chequer plate and bridge plate. Classic case of over doing the military toys thinking it makes the vehicle look the dogs. It does, a dogs breakfast.

The sand lightweight is fitted with 7.50x16 Michelin XCL's, bridge plate in the wrong place, Union flag should always be fitted to the right of the vehicle (as you are looking at it). At least this one is a genuine 2a. Apart from that a good effort.

I can understand your feeling on this. I to believe a vehicle should look how it did in the unit it served with. I have bought my vehicles direct from the MOD so it's easy to keep them original. The only way to go if you have bought from another owner is to get the vehicle history and do your research on what units it served with. (For example my Defender served in Gulf 1 and was painted sand, so I could spray it sand coloured if I wanted to and it would still be original)

Having served in the Army for 8 years I am well aware of unit "specialities" in which particular units do change things on vehicles for whatever reason. But try and keep your vehicle AS IS. You never know who is walking around at a show. If I see a vehicle at a show that has any markings on it that are from any of the Regiments I served with I will grill the owner.

Personally I only keep my vehicles how they were with the units they served with. My Defender is RAF, so I wouldn't put anything Army on it. I will say though that it is an FFR, but I've disconnected the 90amp genny and don't have the radio gear in it (apart from the ATU box that was on it when I bought it at auction, and I've blacked out the rear windows to stop prying eyes).

At the end of the day it's up to the owner to do what he wants with his/her vehicle. Unfortunately the bog standard in service condition vehicles at shows sometimes don't attract the attention the more modded ones do. But being ex Army I know which ones I prefer to see.

Edited by LoggyDriver
Add further comments

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Would that be in a Sanky cooks trailer oven, direct from Withams?:cool2:

Withams:shocked::shocked::shocked: reminds me of a musical i went to.Got to pick a pocket of two boys.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Think you might want to change the word of in your last post CW.....someone could get the wrong end of the stick:rofl:

Youve been at the Sonatogen again:-D some peoples minds i dont know.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

My BARV came with teh stangest paint job ever. I have seen the paint scheme used in the Falklands and this agian is not what I would call a standard patern as it used about 5 different colours and looks more american than British.

picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=602

I had a good look at your BARV on serveral occarions, it looked like Nato Green and Light Stone to me? I remember seeing the inverted chevron on the side (<) indicating OP Telic.

I to believe a vehicle should look how it did in the unit it served with....

....and I've blacked out the rear windows to stop prying eyes

One or the other surely?

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, but it's either original (whatever that means) or it's not!

I to believe a vehicle should look how it did in the unit it served with....

....and I've blacked out the rear windows to stop prying eyes

One or the other surely?

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, but it's either original (whatever that means) or it's not!

I have put up a black sack in the back windows because the back of my Defender is full of tools, hardly changing it's originality. The vehicle is original, 100%. I'm not talking about field mods, but making a RAF vehicle Army, or unit markings it wasn't with being applied, and all the other stuff people seem to fit to theirs.

I could spray over the back windows in DPM to make it look better (as was done in my units), but to keep it original I've put a black bin liner up in the back instead. A good compromise without changing it's originality. After all, all I have to do is peel it off.:-\

The sand lightweight is fitted with 7.50x16 Michelin XCL's, bridge plate in the wrong place, Union flag should always be fitted to the right of the vehicle (as you are looking at it). At least this one is a genuine 2a. Apart from that a good effort.

The bridge plate's in a correct position! Early IIA air-portable Land-Rovers often had it on the bumper -check the "Cook book" for plenty of in service pictures.

I presume late IIAs and Series 3s didn't have them there as it would obscure the headlight.

Personally, I think this thread's a bit mean. Yes, I've changed the colour of my air-portable, but it's only a coat of paint. If I hadn't bought it it would probably have been off-roaded to death.

I sometimes have know-it-alls finding fault with my vehicles at shows. Of course, they've got much better -at home in their garage!

Let's stick together,

-Roger.

This thread wasn't about how a vehicle is painted, although I agree that is important. I was more frustrated by the owners attempts to bolt any accessory they can find to the vehicle, even if the wrong period/era, rather than leave it standard. If you were restoring a Sherman you would need to decide how to paint it, but I'd hope you wouldn't install headlamps from a Challenger 2, Chieftain stowage bins, Clansman antanna bases and Bowman stickers etc!

We have found that with Ward LaFrance trucks, no 2 are the same due to having been modified by various armies and civvy users to the point that there are only 1 or 2 original spec trucks around. Even they are not 100% original! The rest have a variety of features that vary from 1944 to 1990's. Nobody except owners seem to know or notice the differences! (this makes for some good banter between owners....).

I know of one WLF that has Chieftain search lights instead of wartime ones, but they are in the correct place. The only person to notice was a Chieftain owner!