• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...
This is the letter I wrote today to the Export Control:

Sirs,

I am a classic cars collector and the proud owner of an ex-MOD Land Rover restored to her pristine glory.

I intend to bring the vehicle to the UK for some collectors shows in the near future, but I have been informed that, to exit the UK, military vehicles need to have an export license.

Since my Land Rover is registered in Italy and the Italian authorities do not classify an ageing Land Rover of any military interest, it is classed as a normal car as its civilian counterpart.

I am therefore seeking your advice in the paperwork required to bring the car in the UK and bring it back home afterwards.

Regards

Andrea D******* MD MSc DipLSHTM

University of ***** Medical School

Andrea, did you ever get a sensible answer about this ? I'm in Belgium and I'd like to be able to take my WD16H back to the UK this year and can't avoid the idea that I probably need an import licence and an export licence.

Maybe I'll just paint it black and hope that no-one spots the extra 1" ground clearance (or knows their Spanish Civil war History as during the late 1930s, Nortons were supplying the Republican side with black finished military spec motorcycles via the Paris agent ,Psalty)

• 3 months later...

Hi

We have sold our ex-Swedish army Volvo to someone in Germany.

Buyer is arranging the transport over to Germany.

I have been browsing through the comments on this thread, but are

still not sure if we need some type of export licence to do this.

Can anyone help?

thanks

Harry

• 3 months later...
Don't ask me mate! I'm still waiting for the licence! So far no one has ever asked me for the thing anyway.

Tony,

You will not be sent a licence, and they may never ask you to see it. When you entered the details online, that is all that is needed. I did mine when it came out as we were two days away from leaving for Normandy (2009). My understanding is that vehicle reg number is checked against DVLC database, and registered owner should then come up on the list. They do not require details of your vehicle if before 1960 if I recall, so it is just the owner or registered keeper details.

Those vehicles built after 1960 have to apply for a licence / permit every trip overseas if I recall, but as that does not concern me, I may not be quite correct on details, best to check the website.

Thanks Richard. The whole thing is stupid. I have a Land Rover Discovery 200tdi. With a Ladder hitch on the back. That allows me to fit one of the two tow hitchs I have, a 50mm ball, with civillian size jaws, and a NATO hitch. But accrding to the VOGEL if it has a NATO hitch its military. So if I have the two hitchs in the back, normal procedure as they are removable, do I need a licemce? So don't tow a Sankey around France.

Edited by Tony B

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

a friend of mine just bought a 1941 Chevrolet in the UK which we want to export to Czech Republic. The vehicle is UK registered. I understand we need to apply for an export licence. But which one? The vehicle will be exported permanently so I guess it is not the OGEL. Is there a direct link for the application? I am quite lost on the SPIRE pages. Do we need to apply or the current owner? What is the procedure with the change of the registration to another person if the car will go outside the UK?

The whole procedure seems to be a bit messy so we are even thinking of hiring an agency to go through all this for us. Anyone can recommend an agent or person which could do it for certain amount of money?

Dusan

Thanks guys, I have two possibilities now, make the owner to apply for us or hire an agent to go through all this. The SPIRE told me we need a UK address to apply for the licence. The agent is asking 280GBP+VAT. A bit pricey but should be without a hassle. The owner does not seem to be impressed the vehicle is going abroad and he needs to go through all this, so we want to make it as easy as it gets for him.

Dusan

Why pay an agent? The age of the vehicle it is more of an antique than any practical military use. You could quite honestly describe is as Classic truck. What is it described as on the VL5. Remeber it is we of the Fraternioty call them military, the military would call them junk.

• 1 month later...
I'm starting my research into taking the jeep out to Normandy and I need to apply but I'm confused. I've registered with SPIRE but then what? Can somebody do a 'how to apply' please?

Neil.

I've just noticed that I used my fathers log-in to write the above post when I was visiting the folks last weekend.

I'm still not any clearer on how you apply. Any help appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...