WW1 Thornycroft restoration

Thank you Steve

That is very kind of you and yes please we would love to have them. I will send you a PM with my address.

Thanks

Tim

No probs Tim, they will be in the post tomorrow. I tried to reply to your PM but I'm not good with the system, so came back to what I understand. No payment needed, as I'm just pleased that they will have a new life and do what they were intended for, and I've learned a bit more into the bargain.

Regards,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Several minor tasks were completed over the Easter Weekend and reports on all will follow and one of them was the stripping down of the Scuttle in readiness for sand-blasting. The scuttle was still attached to the half chassis from North Wales, recovered by the late Mike Jones many years ago. Many re-useable fittings were still attached to it – including the remains of the front bracket which holds the supporting brace between the scuttle and radiator. One of the two main parts of that was broken but leaving sufficient information to make a new one.

DSCN1698_zpsn4clp8kk.jpg

DSCN1700_zpsi4yafzxm.jpg

DSCN1704_zpsmi25rcbe.jpg

DSCN1713_zps9p4jwxtv.jpg

DSCN1784_zpsrfyqlebt.jpg

DSCN1792_zpsdl1ri0pq.jpg

Another of the jobs undertaken over Easter whilst the full team was in Devon was the removal of the Diff from the Back Axle. We could see that the three arms of the “Fork for the universal coupling on the worm shaft” had been broken off or removed and in its place a disc with similarly placed bolting holes had been substantially welded on to the remains of the original spline. More pattern making to be undertaken so that we can replace that with a replica of the original.

DSCN1794_zpsoeesyeo4.jpg

DSCN1795_zpslq4ctxnm.jpg

DSCN1801_zpse8nwoxu5.jpg

DSCN1802_zpsipp7zdcu.jpg

Followers of this thread may remember Posting No. 2025 dated the 30th December last where we mentioned excessive end float on one of the then newly mounted back wheels. The general opinion was that whilst one wheel had a satisfactory end float of about 1/16”, the spacer on the other wheel was not thick enough to reduce a much higher end float to something acceptable.

So we were resolved to obtain another piece of bronze to make a “fatter” spacer to take up some of the excess so that it could be reduced to about a 1/16” as well.

But it was shortly after, we started work on the axle that Mike kindly sent us from NZ to find that the spacers were still on that one and lo and behold, one of those was just the correct thickness.

So the wheel came off again last weekend and the spacers were substituted and the end float was checked out with a D.T.I and then found to be satisfactory!

The wheels are very heavy to move around and although not very clear in the pictures, our friend Mark H made up a stout wooden trolley with caster wheels on each corner, which could take the weight and size of the wheel so that the wheel could easily be slid on and off the axle end without any danger of damaging the bronze bearing. A simple but effective idea!

DSCN1775_zpstzsgbmlu.jpg

DSCN1774_zpsnctrestu.jpg

DSCN1779_zps0bbivwfa.jpg

DSCN1780_zpsuwregk9m.jpg

Edited by Minesweeper
spelling

The wheels are very heavy to move around and although not very clear in the pictures, our friend Mark H made up a stout wooden trolley with caster wheels on each corner, which could take the weight and size of the wheel so that the wheel could easily be slid on and off the axle end without any danger of damaging the bronze bush. A simple but effective idea!

When I was a mechanic all we had was a steel sheet offcut that we kept well greased so we could place it on the ground under the hub, rolled the wheel onto it and the slid the wheel onto the hub.

trevor

When I was a mechanic all we had was a steel sheet offcut that we kept well greased so we could place it on the ground under the hub, rolled the wheel onto it and the slid the wheel onto the hub.

But I imagine you were doing this in the era of detachable wheels and pneumatic tyres?

I wouldn't want to bet that a double solid-tyred wheel weighs more than a modern truck wheel (I can imagine that those are very heavy) but the game here is sliding the wheel onto the bearing without damaging the bearing.

And they are certainly quite heavy enough in the case of a Sankey disc wheel. :-)

As Andy has just said, removing and fitting solid tyred rear wheels like those on a Dennis 'N' Type is just impossible to do single handedly. Although a lot more expensive than some wood and four castors I bought this to be able to do the job by myself.

wheel lift.JPG

It does give the benefit of adjustable height and after struggling for years in the past I now don't know how I would do without it.

Barry.

The top and bottom brass plates for the Radiator core have been beautifully and very kindly machined up for us by Barry H and they are now ready for the next stage of the Radiator construction – using them as templates to drill the holes for the clearance bolts in both tanks and for the tapping holes for some studs in the bottom tank only. The second of these three pictures show one plate on top of the other!

DSCN1839_zpsdnduarnb.jpg

DSCN1841_zpsc7o8crab.jpg

DSCN1845_zps2cyo5cop.jpg

No visible debris?

I think anything with low conductivity is just vapourised.

And can this be a dangerous weapon?

Yes, but then it would be quite possible to wire-brush someone to death too.

I would anticipate that the optics are set up to have a divergent beam so that intensity falls off quickly with distance.

• 3 weeks later...

On posting No. 2104 dated the 29th March, we showed some pictures of the Scuttle - as discovered – this has now been stripped down and separated from the constituent parts that were still attached to it – and sand blasted. The large “U” shape Bonnet Rest that is attached to the Scuttle is not directly attached to the Scuttle face to face but there are four shaped wooden parts that go between the two. As always, we like to use original parts as far as possible and whilst it would be easy to replace the four with modern wood, we cleaned up the original parts, filled the worst of the dips and hollows as they were inclined to be just a little sad but that they will now live to fight again!

DSCN1858_zpsdqopfcjt.jpg

DSCN1867_zpsjq41evmy.jpg

DSCN1864_zps7jvzncf6.jpg

DSCN1862_zpsowcet8wm.jpg