WW1 Thornycroft restoration

I guess it keeps the edge more homogenous, and so cracks and wrinkles are less sure where to start.

The spinning videos all seem to do a lot of edge trimming with a tool for the job, so it shouldn't be too hard to trim to perfect circles when mounted and "set on" the former.

my hands are doing OK thank you very much....

got some of that O`keefes stuff....seems to be helping...

We are still pressing on with the front end as we really want to get the wheels on. As Steve has bored out the wheels, we need new bearings to suit. These are plain bronze bushes so Father started off by cutting two lumps from a £195- piece of bronze.

DSCN1508_zpsa709824c.jpg

He then put them up in the Colchester to bore them through including a chamfer to clear the radius on the stub axle.

DSCN1580_zps453899d3.jpg

DSCN1581_zps450183f6.jpg

As the Myford has a better chuck, he mounted them with the jaws inside and a plug in the end supported by a centre before turning the outside.

DSCN1586_zps1ba67335.jpg

A quick check in the wheels, just to make sure and the two were passed to Steve to add the grease hole.

DSCN1591_zps4f5679e5.jpg

DSCN1597_zps672f3855.jpg

The original bushes have a number of holes to trap and transfer the grease.

DSCN4902_zps2695caee.jpg

Although their position is not critical, the holes could more easily be located with the use of a dividing head. Steve is very fortunate to possess such an item and soon set them up and drilled them through.

DSCN4903_zps1500c502.jpg

DSCN4905_zps0a11c51c.jpg

DSCN4906_zpsd9d40a50.jpg

That’s another job ticked off!

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking a bit more about the track rod, the ball joints would benefit from hardening. The originals were not very hard but that might have been because the surface had corroded away. Anyway, I decided to case harden the new ball joints. First step is to heat them to a bright red using the propane torch.

DSCN4955.JPG

Sorry, you can't see the glow but I ran out of hands at that point! Once red, they were stood in a tin of case hardening compound, known as 'Kasenit'. This is a grey powder, very high in carbon. The carbon soaks into the surface of the steel locally converting it to a 'high carbon' steel which can be hardened. The balls were then re-heated to bright red before quenching in cold water.

DSCN4956.JPG

DSCN4957.JPG

They look quite rough at this stage but a stiff wire brushing soon cleans them up

DSCN4958.JPG

DSCN4959.JPG

Track rod next.

Steve (Trying to keep up with that Human Dynamo, Ben!)

A little while back, Dad pulled out the track rods and the drag links for assessment. He had them sand blasted so that we could see what we had and they proved to be not very good.

DSCN1550.JPG

The drag links are very poor and are corroded to such an extent that the stell has gone in places leaving only the brazing material! We decided that the drag links cannot be saved and new ones are to be made.

DSCN1557.JPG

DSCN1566.JPG

The un-bent track rod, we think will fight another day. However, the corrosion around the clamp is rather significant and needs attention.

DSCN4910.JPG

DSCN1558.JPG

First job here was to drill out the pinch bolt and this was simply done in the milling vice using a slocumb drill to centre it.

DSCN4916.JPG

DSCN4917.JPG

Then heat was applied before unscrewing the adjustable ball joint using a stillson wrench and a big mallet. It did not want to move!

DSCN4918.JPG

DSCN4920.JPG

DSCN4921.JPG

Examination of the spherical surfaces was not encouraging due to corrosion. However, we felt that we might just get them good enough by polishing them with a lap and then facing the castings to tighten them onto the ball ends.

DSCN4908.JPG

DSCN4909.JPG

I have to say that I’m completely hooked on this thread and eagerly await every development as the restoration continues. I read every page of the Dennis Truck restoration and found it spellbinding. Your skills and attention to detail are amazing. Thank you for having the patience to maintain this thread and to show so much detail of the work that you’re doing as you do it.

Many congratulations to all involved.

The female parts of the ball joints were all a bit poorly. However, I felt that we could probably get away with simply polishing them up and then tightening them to reduce the clearance. To that end, I turned up a simple lap out of a piece of ash with a spigot to go in the pistol drill.

DSCN4923.JPG

DSCN4924.JPG

This was loaded with coarse valve grinding paste and run at low speed in the cavity taking care to keep the drill moving in random directions to prevent grooves from being cut.

DSCN4925.JPG

This worked reasonably well and gave enough surface for the balls to work against.

DSCN4926.JPG

DSCN4927.JPG

This one was very bad but I think we might just get away with it. If not, we shall make some new ones!

DSCN4933.JPG

Then a joint was nipped up over a ball in the vice with a clock gauge set up against the end. It was shaken back and forth to estimate the clearance around the ball.

DSCN4936.JPG

This worked out to be about 0.015" so the cover was set up in the four-jaw and 0,012" removed leaving a little bit of movement but not too much.

DSCN4938.JPG

More help from our frends! Barry very kindly offerred to build up the clamp ring with weld, an offer gratefully accepted bearing in mind the quality of my welding!

DSCN4943.JPG

DSCN4946.JPG

This took all morning which was much longer than I had anticipated. However, on dressing back, there were no inclusions and only a couple of places which needed a little filling.

DSCN4948.JPG

DSCN4949.JPG

DSCN4951.JPG

All ready for some paint! We will have the front wheels on very soon which will be a major step forward.

DSCN4954.JPG

One of the minor jobs that we have picked up from time to time, in between the more immediately important and major jobs was the recovery of the two “Brake Levers on the Compensating Sleeve”. The Hand Brake linkage was still in place on the chassis under the Shepherds Hut but was extremely rusty and mainly beyond recovery. We were optimistic that the Brake Levers were good enough to be used again if they could be recovered.

The compensating shaft consists of a length of 1 1/4” diameter steel tube through which is inserted a length of 1” diameter steel bar which runs across the chassis – the 1” bar is held in a casting at each end and the tube must turn on the bar when the brakes are applied or released. The tube and its inner shaft were both bent and rusty and there was no way of getting the inner shaft out of the tube – so it had to be cut.

DSCN9089_zps60vknsam.jpg

DSCN9081_zpsfqpyffrh.jpg

DSCN9080_zpsou27grss.jpg

The levers and the remains of the tube which were still brazed together were sand blasted, just to clean them up and to make them nicer to handle. They were then placed in the Milling Machine and the remains of the tube were bored out.

We now have the two levers, original parts – although quite wasted but are deemed strong enough to be used again.

DSCN1639_zpsdcxokux0.jpg

DSCN1641_zpsxojudhmi.jpg

DSCN1644_zpsfqgeyarj.jpg

DSCN1646_zpsf0o3xdkw.jpg