Mark

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_4.htm

27. No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

TABLE (1)(2)(3)Item No. Type of lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon Manner of use prohibited 1Headlamp

• (a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

Many of the police cars in this area have a system which alternates left and right high beam. At night on an unlit country road it is totally blinding even when I am sat 10ft up, while I struggle to understand how it can be legal as at any time the vehicle has only one headlamp working.

Many of the police cars in this area have a system which alternates left and right high beam. At night on an unlit country road it is totally blinding even when I am sat 10ft up, while I struggle to understand how it can be legal as at any time the vehicle has only one headlamp working.

I think if you look closely that as one of the light dims then the other becomes bright, therefore both lights are technically on at the same time.

Correct me if I am wrong though

Just for the record -

You can display hundreds of blue lights on your vehicles - as long as you are on private land -

As soon as you enter onto a public highway - you are pretending to be something you are not - hence you are breaking the law.

But does private land with public access, i.e. a show ground, become fully covered by traffic law? It certainly does in respect of driver and vehicle licensing law.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I think if you look closely that as one of the light dims then the other becomes bright, therefore both lights are technically on at the same time.

Correct me if I am wrong though

I struggle to understand why it would need such a system.Basically if its affecting drivers as in the law says it shouldnt its illegal.And while we are about it why the heck do they need there sirens on at night when no buggers in there way.we live near the police and ambulance station and there at it all night long.:argh:probably more health and safety.

What a crap place to live.:-D

The Police and other emergency vehicles shouldn't be using the dim - dip headlights at night.

In our fire appliances - you can't operate the dim - dip headlights whilst using the vehicle head lights.

In regards to show ground use - it does state restored vehicles can use blue lights and sirens but obviously not on the public high way.

Pete - my drivers only ever use sirens if they have to after 11pm - I suppose it's down to where you live. Must admit though - I've been woken up at silly o clock by Police sirens and it does give me the hump.

Trouble is - if they have an accident and they are not using blues and twos - they are really in the brown smelly stuff.

Preserved emergency vehicles are not officially permitted to have blue lights attached to them when on the road, even if they are completely covered up and inoperable.

If they are completely covered up how does anyone know they are blue in the first place?

Completely covered up and inoperable? Like in a box? How do these things get delivered?

I can see a poor TNT delivery driver getting pulled on his way to Emergency One's place. Bust of the century, Sarge. Blue lights. Hundreds of them.

Quote:

Preserved emergency vehicles are not officially permitted to have blue lights attached to them when on the road, even if they are completely covered up and inoperable.

Put a sock on it! Would this not be an ideal cover over a round blue light.

However if the sock was coloured blue what would be questioning from the police. It is not a light and can not emit light, but would it be otherwise classed as an imitation or replication of a blue light that could cause confusion to other motorists.

Doug

Good question, a guy I knew when Duty Officer drovea Military Safari with blues, when not on duty trips a size ten sock, green, men's was used . If you can't see it's blue how do you know? My vehicle does stand casualty transport at various events, though when travelling to and from the crosses etc are alwyas covered.

Good question, a guy I knew when Duty Officer drovea Military Safari with blues, when not on duty trips a size ten sock, green, men's was used . If you can't see it's blue how do you know? My vehicle does stand casualty transport at various events, though when travelling to and from the crosses etc are alwyas covered.

But does it comply with the exemption regulations which are quite clear?? no mention of Red Crosses:confused:

(b) is readily identifiable as a vehicle used for the carriage of such people by being marked “Ambulance” on both sides.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Now why on earth would you think that?:rofl:The day is coming,but i dont think i will live long enough to see it ,mores the pity.:shocked:

My 101 ambulance is still registered as an ambulance. Mind you at over ninefeet off the ground the blue is not that obvious.

For an Ambulance to be registered as an ambulance it has to satisfy the rule that the word "Ambulance" is clearly visible on both sides of the vehicle, so that it is readily identifiable as an ambulance. I have not yet seen an ex Military Ambulance, that has this wording, (and I guess many owners would not want to make its livery un-original, by adding this wording), so how does your ambulance manage to be registered as an ambulance, or am I wrong and you do have the word Ambulance lettered on both sides of the vehicle??

Most Military ambulances seem to be identified by use of the "Red Cross" symbol, alone, and this is not enough for a vehicle to be viewed as an ambulance....

Edited by antarmike

For an Ambulance to be registered as an ambulance it has to satisfy the rule that the word "Ambulance" is clearly visible on both sides of the vehicle, so that it is readily identifiable as an ambulance. I have not yet seen an ex Military Ambulance, that has this wording, (and I guess many owners would not want to make its livery un-original, by adding this wording), so how does your ambulance manage to be registered as an ambulance, or am I wrong and you do have the word Ambulance lettered on both sides of the vehicle??

Most Military ambulances seem to be identified by use of the "Red Cross" symbol, alone, and this is not enough for a vehicle to be viewed as an ambulance....

Don't know about the wording. DVLA had all the photos, had it inspected and gave their blessing when I got it about six years ago now.

• 5 months later...

hi gent here,s 1 for you..i ve been driving an ambulance that is owned by a company that do tv & film work.. all insured & with blue light cover,, today i was stopped by a police man .(one of hampshires finest) and i was told i needed to be trained specially to drive a vehicle with blue lights on it... so i got in touch with the film company and thay confermed that i was legal.." if i didnt know my job i would get the tick tack & would have to mossey on down to the rock & roll and scratch on"..LOL ( thay dont know there job) . i have had more agro with the local bobby .s who all tell me diverent versions of there laws ... where on earth do i stand.. totally confused & getting really FED UP

Edited by Marmite!!
title