Blue Lights on Vehicles

Mark

A few of the people on here have in their collection emergency or military police vehicles, so I would ask a question of them and anyone else who may know the law.

Do you travel on public roads with the emergency (Blue) lights attached to your vehicle, whether they are working or not and is there a law for/against this.

Answer away please.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/information/bluelightuse.htm

Preserved Emergency Vehicles

Preserved emergency vehicles are not officially permitted to have blue lights attached to them when on the road, even if they are completely covered up and inoperable. Usually common sense prevails and if there is no way of being able to see the blue light unit then the police are happy. In 2008 a petition was created to change this law to the 'common sense' definition.

Edited by Marmite!!

The current regulations permit preserved emergency vehicles to be used with blue lights at shows provided they are removed before the vehicles are driven on the public roads

Tuesday 6 January 2009

Blue-lights - epetition response

We received a petition asking:

“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to create a change in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations to allow preserved Emergency vehicles including Police, Fire, Ambulance customs and all the other listed emegency vehicles to be allowed to have blue warning lamps fitted to their vehicles provided they are covered up securely so that no blue light is visible on the highway, unless authorised by a Police Officer.”

Details of Petition:

“In the UK there are literally thousands of preserved emegency vehicles owned by private individuals and enthusiast organisations. These vehicles are taken to classic car shows, and Police organised shows and events throughout the year. Up until yesterday,when someone was prosecuted and found guilty, the vehicle owners relied on the discretion of the Police, in turning a blind eye to a particular regulation in the Road Transport Lighting Regs which creates the offence of having a blue light fitted on any motot vehicle. There is no getout even when the light is covered up and not visible as such. This regulation was never meant to be as restrictive and it is asked that the regulation be amended so that is not an offence have such a light fitted provided it is covered up on the highway.”

· Read the petition

· Petitions homepage

Read the Government’s response

Blue warning beacons are intended to provide emergency vehicles with a means to inform other traffic of their presence and to assist in their safe progress through the traffic when responding to an incident. Whether or not switched on, they help to identify vehicles that are being operated by the emergency services and so the general public can have confidence they are dealing with a genuine representative of the service.

The wider use of these lights will eventually undermine the benefit they provide to legitimate users, hindering their ability to respond to an emergency and potentially endangering the safety of the public. Deliberate misuse of blue beacons to give the impression a vehicle is being operated by the emergency services could also increase if strict controls on their fitment are not in place.

We do not expect genuine owners of preserved emergency vehicles to abuse blue lights fitted to their vehicles. One solution would be to permit covered blue beacons, although this could potentially increase the misuse by non-emergency services. A change to the regulations must also be enforceable and in many cases it will be difficult to determine whether or not a vehicle is a genuine preserved vehicle or has been modified to deliberately deceive.

There is no simple, quick fix, of the regulations that avoids our concerns over misuse. The current regulations permit preserved emergency vehicles to be used with blue lights at shows provided they are removed before the vehicles are driven on the public roads and so we do not intend to change the regulations at this time. We will however explore with representatives of the police and other interested organisations whether there is an acceptable solution that can be considered for future implementation.

when I had my gipsy, we used to cover up the blue lights.

Both my father and myself used to own american police cars, they were allways covered up, we never had any problems. The only problem we had was when the ex SouthWales Granada was outside a local garage, lights covered up, 2 policemen came over to the garage owner to ask whos it was, then another one arrived, started poking under the cover saying that the car shouldnt have a lightbar, they are allways smashed up when not wanted, and we shouldnt have a vascar (only had the box, not the head!!!) he got onto his phone at that point, had a conversation with somebody, than got back into his car and drove off, the other 2 just stood there trying not to laugh!!!. Mind you, if he could have got into the boot, he would have found various police force crests, and I think we may have been in trouble. It is against the law to display "police" on a vehicle on the queens highway, as this is seen to be impersonating a police officer.

Mark

Ive a mate who works for a TV an Film Props company an hes said that on a police vehicle all lights should be covered over with a hood or black gaffer tape and the markings on the side should also be crossed out with black gaffer tape. This is also done even if its going on the back of a low loader

Eddie

Some years back a pal of mine didn't have the above info (pre internet days) and was restoring what he found out had been a Police patrol car. He wrote to the local force asking for advice on the above point, and regarding the fitting of a bell or siren. The gist of the reply was that if fitting, or using, such items was done with intent to deceive then he would get done. Where it was obvious that the vehicle was an old one then the Force didn't consider that it would be an issue as it was obvious to anyone that the vehicle was not a current in service item; and when he had finished the restoration could they bring along a modern patrol car and have a photo shoot alongside it? Which they did and he doesn't have any problems with the local law at all. They all know the vehicle and are more interested in finding out about it than giving him any grief. Obviously this may not apply to any other area of the country.

whether they are working or not and is there a law for/against this.

So we have established that the answer to your question is YES...

So what have you bought/buying that has Blue lights then Mark?:cool2:

My 101 ambulance is still registered as an ambulance. Mind you at over ninefeet off the ground the blue is not that obvious.

Whilst I could be wrong I thought that only Health Authorities and certain other government organisations were allowed to register a vehicle as an ambulance.

Whilst I could be wrong I thought that only Health Authorities and certain other government organisations were allowed to register a vehicle as an ambulance.

Here an extract from the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (c. 22)

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1994/ukpga_19940022_en_8

Ambulances and health service vehicles

6 (1) An ambulance is an exempt vehicle.

(2) In sub-paragraph (1)“ambulance” means a vehicle which—

(a) is constructed or adapted for, and used for no purpose other than, the carriage of sick, injured or disabled people to or from welfare centres or places where medical or dental treatment is given, and

(b) is readily identifiable as a vehicle used for the carriage of such people by being marked “Ambulance” on both sides.

7 A vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used or kept on a road by—

(a) a health service body (as defined in section 60(7) of the [1990 c. 19.] National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990) or a health and social services body (as defined in Article 7(6) of the [s.I. 1991/194 (N.I.1).] Health and Personal Social Services (Northern Ireland) Order 1991), or

(b) a National Health Service trust established under Part I of the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990 or the [1978 c. 29.] National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1978 or a Health and Social Services Trust established under the Health and Personal Social Services (Northern Ireland) Order 1991.

8 A vehicle which is made available by the Secretary of State—

(a) to a person, body or local authority under section 23 or 26 of the [1977 c. 49.] National Health Service Act 1977, or

(b) to a local authority, education authority or voluntary organisation in Scotland under section 15 or 16 of the National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1978,

If you can not comply with the above then you are breaking the law in claiming RFL exemption...

My ten pence worth.

It is illegal for any vehicle to display a blue beacon - working or not - unless it is an official emergency vehicle as being used for official purposes by one of the official emergency services.

If a ex-authority ambulance is not being used in it's official capacity - it will be illegal to be fitted with blue lights - whether it is taxed as an ambulance or not.

I think the term common sense should be used when traveling with a blue light - keep it covered and that way you will not draw attention to it.

Also, it is also illegal to have any signs such as Police, Military Police, etc displayed unless it is an official vehicle being used by etc, etc.

St Johns Ambulance service is an official ambulance service - as they provide back up to the NHS service and life support and first aid at organised events.

Rally marshalls can display blue emergency lights if the vehicles they are using are being used in an official capacity - ie - providing medical cover at an organised event.

Just for the record -

You can display hundreds of blue lights on your vehicles - as long as you are on private land -

As soon as you enter onto a public highway - you are pretending to be something you are not - hence you are breaking the law.

this is why mine is covered to and from events and my military police plates are removed

Quite right David -

I would expect nothing less of you young man.

I think Doctors use green lights as they have no right to infringe highways laws and regulations.

Not sure why - maybe it has something to do with the drivers not having been trained to proceed on blue lights and sirens. If you see a doctors vehicle behind you, you are expected to allow him to pass but there is no provision for this in the highway code - unlike emergency vehicles displaying blue lights and sirens.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_4.htm

27. No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

TABLE (1)(2)(3)Item No. Type of lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon Manner of use prohibited 1Headlamp

• (a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

• (b) Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

2Front fog lamp

• (a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

• (b) Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

• © Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

3Rear fog lamp

• (a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.

• (b) Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

• © Save in the case of an emergency vehicle, used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

4Reversing lampUsed so as to be lit except for the purpose of reversing the vehicle.5Hazard warning signal device

• Used other than-

• (i) to warn persons using the road of a temporary obstruction when the vehicle is at rest; or

• (ii) on a motorway or unrestricted dual-carriageway, to warn following drivers of a need to slow down due to a temporary obstruction ahead; or

• (iii) in the case of a bus, to summon assistance for the driver or any person acting as a conductor or inspector on the vehicle.

6Warning beacon emitting blue light and special warning lamp

• Used so as to be lit except-

• (i) at the scene of an emergency; or

• (ii) when it is necessary or desirable either to indicate to persons using the road the urgency of the purpose for which the vehicle is being used, or to warn persons of the presence of the vehicle or a hazard on the road.

7Warning beacon emitting amber light

• Used so as to be lit except-

• (i) at the scene of an emergency;

• (ii) when it is necessary or desirable to warn persons of the presence of the vehicle; and

• (iii) in the case of a breakdown vehicle, while it is being used in connection with, and in the immediate vicinity of, an accident or breakdown, or while it is being used to draw a broken-down vehicle.

8Warning beacon emitting green lightUsed so as to be lit except whilst occupied by a medical practitioner registered by the General Medical Council (whether with full, provisional or limited registration) and used for the purposes of an emergency.9Warning beacon emitting yellow lightUsed so as to be lit on a road.10Work lamp

• (a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of any vehicle.

• (b) Used so as to be lit except for the purpose of illuminating a working area, accident, breakdown or works in the vicinity of the vehicle.

11Any other lampUsed so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Item i Headlamp,Police using high energy H/lamps blue tinge,along with BMW owners and the like.Dazzle from behind obviously all illegal,maybe i better pop up the nick and tell them tomorrow.They obviously dont abide by the rules either.And yes Mr Burley yours included.:argh: