RAF vehicle camouflage

Rlangham

Question

I've seen this asked on another forum so thought I might give it a go here. In WW2, what colour would the emergency vehicle's at RAF bases (especially the fire tenders) be painted in? The Airfix kit of an Austin K6 fire tender says it should be in red, but the Fordson fire tender I saw the other day was a sort of olive drab, and i've seen models in RAF blue, can anyone help out?

I really don't think its RAF Blue-Grey, I'm betting on Nobel's Dark Tarmac, No. 4.

I'm wondering if the original colour negative was mishandled or something, and it's in the standard Khaki Green No.3, but that something has caused it to look like it has both brown and green paint.

• Like 1

That's AMO A1397/42.

I'll dig it out and send a copy over for you

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't look at the image properly. That is the entirety of the AMO right there. The previous AMO on the subject (which this one cancels) is AMO A820/42 from August of that year. The next relevant AMO is A891/43 issued early September 1943.

Edited by RAFMT
  • Thanks 1