Help!!! HMS Plymouth

Marmite!!

HMS Plymouth is going to be scrapped unless a new mooring and maintenance costs can be covered, Maldon local and Falklands war veteran David Hutchings is trying to get her into Maldon as a tourist attraction and floating museum, but to do so maybe you can help!

http://www.seylec.co.uk/id12.html

Is there no space available at Chatham Dockyard? A Free exhibit would be an incentive, I would have thought? :idea:

Museums are notoriously in a difficult position with regards to having funding to buy exhibits & mostly rely on donated items. :???

AND, she would at least be saved! :yay:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

She is looking a bit shabby compared to when I last saw her mored up at the Warship preservation trust.

Short sightedness has left her the property of the dock authority, the council allowed her old moorings to be developed into flats. She was given a 6 month temporary mooring something like 500 yards away, but to move the collection would have cost something like £250,000 and another £250,000 6 months later.>:(:mad:

It consisted of a U boat (Now cut up and on show in a purpose built museum at Albert docks, Liverpool), HMS Plymouth, HMS Onyx (Only deisel powered sub to go to Falklands), A lighthouse ship (Now in Albert Dock), HMS Bronington (HRH Charles first command, wooden deck rotting away, shown in last picture) and teh last remaining LST to take part in the D-Day landings.

Aparently Albert Docks would not allow Big ships in to be mored overwise I think she would have gone there.

Onyx has now gone north, I think the LST is to be scraped.:mad:

Its a shame to loose these ships but with the way of the economy is going at the moment I do ot think we will see them again soon :embarrassed:

Jon

I am confused, who actually owns the ship now? Also Bronnington?

I went on a tour of the U-Boat when in Liverpool. Very interesting except at the end when the tour guide started to elaborate about the reason it was raised and salvaged. When no treasure was found, the owner lost interest. But, the fuel tanks still had an amount of fuel oil in them, and the tour guide said, "could the ark of the covenant, or the spear of destiny be lying somewhere within the submarine? At this my friends and i nearly p***ed ourselves laughing. Tour guide got reet upset, and said whats the problems, so i told him we are archaeologists. (I was looking at U-Boat museums in general).

and the tour guide said, "could the ark of the covenant, or the spear of destiny be lying somewhere within the submarine?

Did they expect to find Indiana Jones in there too?!.

On the subject of the D-Day LST which is facing the axe,does anyone have any details of it's history? which units it transported on D-Day and which beach it unloaded onto?.

Matt.

New steel recently rose £100 per ton, another £95 per ton rise is coming in a few days, scrap is over £220 per ton around here....The pressure to scrap has never been higher....

I am afraid the future looks bleak for a number of Historic projects.....

I was thinking that. That £250,000 for moving the ship around is what the ship is worth. Furious and Intrepid were selling for about that

New steel recently rose £100 per ton, another £95 per ton rise is coming in a few days, scrap is over £220 per ton around here....The pressure to scrap has never been higher....

I am afraid the future looks bleak for a number of Historic projects.....

Tell me! Every 'person' with a Transit is stealing garden rakes round here!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh this is so so sad. I have so many photographs i took when i would visit her on the wirral. It was her and onyx that really made me excited about joining up. I would even go back and visit them whilst i was serving in the RN. I dont live in liverpool now but did go back up to visit relatives and taking them on a day out to visit her and shed gone. Just that rather dismal u boat.

HMS Plymouth was a fine museum and i have so many fond memories of my visits and a fair few nick nacks from the onboard gift shop! I wonder if her name sake city would be willing to offer a home. As a former Type 22 rating i dont think the 'civvies' in Plymouth are that hot on anything RN. I suppose its like civvies in army towns arnt too hot on anything army?

Oh i do wish her well, im off now to see if there are websites to donate to. I will deffo be sending something. We lose too much heritage in this country.

Cam

• 6 months later...

I was on board HMS Plymouth the other week to help recover the Wasp helicopter from her hangar. Such a sad sight to see such a vessel in such a poor shape. Shame the current owners couldn't find her a decent home at their big prestigious development in Salford Quays alongside the Imperial War Museum North. Sad to see another piece of our history lost for good, when she is taken to Turkey for scrapping.

command centre plotting table.jpg

small bridge.jpg

small gun.jpg

small rear 2.jpg

small rear quarter.jpg

• 1 month later...

There is a petition to try to save her.

It may be too late but it's worth a try

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32526

It seems there is a chance she could be kept in Newcastle

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/ditch-attempt-save-HMS-Plymouth/story-16052950-detail/story.html

Here's hoping. I know if she was in closer to me I could spend some weekends volunteering if required.