Ferret 1/2 weapon mount

FerretAFV

Hi,

To my knowledge early Ferret 1/2's were fitted with Bren's on thin post pintle mounts, and later ones had the bigger post GPMG's. However my vehicle reg card states '.30in MG' in the NATO designation box - is this just another way of saying GPMG (7.62mm = .30inch)? Anyone ever seen browning 30 cal mounted on a 1/2 in service?

Cheers

Hi,

To my knowledge early Ferret 1/2's were fitted with Bren's on thin post pintle mounts, and later ones had the bigger post GPMG's. However my vehicle reg card states '.30in MG' in the NATO designation box - is this just another way of saying GPMG (7.62mm = .30inch)? Anyone ever seen browning 30 cal mounted on a 1/2 in service?

Cheers

Yes, when I was attached to 26 Engineers in Germany. It was a square section box mounted post with a cross hole for a pintle retaining pin.

The pintle was a modified standard tripod pintle with the tapered shaft turned down to paralell to fit into the mounting shaft.

I have such a mounting post in my collection. They are extremely scarce to say the least! :coffee:

Thanks for your reply - interesting! I always liked the idea of modifing the standard browning 30 cal mount with the extended firing handle to fix a 1/2 ferret pintle mount but though it might me a 'field modification' too far!

Thanks for your reply - interesting! I always liked the idea of modifing the standard browning 30 cal mount with the extended firing handle to fix a 1/2 ferret pintle mount but though it might me a 'field modification' too far!

It would be too unweildy! The long folding arm would be too far back when stood in the 1/2 'turret' to operate it properly.

That is why the mounting I have was done for 1/2's only.

They later went onto GPMG's as a better weapon & a logical progression to replace the 'ageing' .30" Cal. Browning.

Though the Bren / lmg was fine for second line troops.

:coffee: