58 pattern webbing

Tony B

Question

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I can still hear the swearing from my son's bedroom when he built is 58 kit. Stryker is at a ATC Dining In night tonight. His sister, who is also a cadet looks very glam. She isn't interested in webbing unless it is made by Versace. Brings a whole new meaning to Gucci kit, I suppose.

I've got the RMP version of the PLCE packing list knocking around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Re 1960s kit, 58 webbing took about five to eight years to fully filter through. I've photos from the late 60s from BAOR showing RMP in 37 pattern webbing, for pities sake!

HOWEVER, this should help with the uniform gear a bit, I hope...

http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/cwp/uniform-clothing.html

Hope it helps, anyway :)

Not sure if it was said before , that when depicting any era soldiers uniform can have any bits and pieces from earlier times and still be correct as stated above by Redcap, just not have any bits from after the time being represented. Several stories that in the US Army that soldiers in WWII were still being issued bits of WWI gear , so that on inspections those with the more complete WWII gear were positioned in the front rows while those with the most mixed gear where hidden in the rear most rows.

Then you'll need all the bits and bobs to go with the 58 webbing, picks, water bottle, shovels, machete sheath and machete, helmet to go on the large pack, mess tins, ,magazines, respirator and haversack (The haversack is a collectors dream! spare cannister, fullers earth, de-misting compound, combo pens, NAPS tablets, spectacles, Survive to Fight book respirator check card etc etc)it just goes on, but look at any old sweats webbing and it is very individual on how they had it rigged, so long as they carried the required equipment, ammo etc.

Edited by Adam Elsdon

OK, found the kit list. You can see it at:

http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/cwp/downloads/itc-kitlist.html

Note that this was downloaded off the Infantry Training Centre (ITC) website something like seven (7) years ago. I've searched, and the original is no longer to be found publicly online, as it would appear to have been fully updated to current doctrine, and at presumably moved to the ArmyNet site, which is the British Army's new-fangled secure Extranet service.

(The haversack is a collectors dream!

No kidding, lol

Green nylon Respirator haversack (in good nick) CHECK

S Mk 6 Respirator, CHECK

spare cannister, CHECK

fullers earth, DKP 1&2 CHECK

de-misting compound, CHECK (Do not use, it's a heft carcinogen!)

combo pens, AAARGH! Where do I find the Drill Purpose ones?!

NAPS tablets, AAARGH! Where do I find the Drill Purpose ones?!

spectacles, AAARGH! Where do I find these then?!

Survive to Fight book Got one from the 1980s :)

respirator check card Um... AAARGH again?!

We used to turn the belt upside down so you carried the bum roll on the top over teh kidney puches this helped keep the bum role from hitting the backs of your tegs when running, Also used to carry 2 water bottles and crossed the straps on the kidney puches to help keep them tight together.

Usually I had a full set of 58 packed to comply with a kit-list, just for inspections, and a roll-pin belt loaded with S6/10 haversack and water-bottle pouches, and a Berghaus 'Munro' daysack. The full set stayed with the Flight G10 truck and the rest was carabinered together and and secured under the seats on the Lynx, or stuffed in the boot with all the rest of the junk we carried in Gazelles.

I used the same set-up when I was a driver/sig in FFR Rovers and Sultans, MK Bowsers and RL/MK G10 wagons, but as I stayed with the same Sqn for 13 years, ground-and aircrew, I guess they'd just got used to my idiosyncrasies.

Oh, and don't get it wet; it doubles in weight.

Edited by Yorkie370

We used to buy our own, then slap matt black paint on it in an attempt to camo it up a bit. The local cycle shop used to do a roaring trade in bungees, to hold it all together. As I was too slim to carry two water bottles and an S6 ( those were the days! ), I used this:

IMG_0131.jpg

Is it the sought after haversack that has been mentioned? (No belt loops, just the neck strap, type.)

That looks like an very early S6 respirator case!! Later ones had a press-stud fixing.

In theory the strap goes around the neck and there should be a cord stashed in a pocket on the R.H side that passes around the body and fastens onto the round "catch" on the left. The case is then resting on the chest. Looking at the photo the cord can just be seen.....

In practice if you wore it as per the book the first time you dived for cover you got a VERY sore chest.... So it usually got hung off the 58 pattern belt - on the left IIRC.

It has to be said, the later S10 was a big improvement, you could nearly breathe through it, you could take a drink without taking it off, and the bag would actually take the respirator quite easily compared to an S6.

Gas Gas Gas!!

S10 was after my time I fear..... Sounds a big improvement though!! :)

S10 was after my time I fear..... Sounds a big improvement though!! :)

Neil, S10 has ROUND plastic lenses compared to your S6 with glass 'wraparounds'. Also it has a tube with a tap to fit the later plastic waterbottle cap. (Later cap has a push/pull valve for the tube to be attached).

Did you ever have to do the ,'I have a bright idea,' young Officer order?

Lets go for a run in full NBC kit!!!!

Trying to breath with the extra 'Demand' from running in a Respirator was 'Really Fun'??? :-X

I used my Brain & Pushed a matchbox in under the chin area so you could breath normally! :thumbsup:

F****ng Officers!! All a Bit different when they wanted something doing as a 'Private Job' though!

That was the time to get your own back........ :rofl:

Hmm - plastic doesn't sound a good idea to me....

As for the "lets go for a run in NBC kit" - yep, been there, done that, part of what was then known as Continuation training with the Chelsea boys.... In the Brecons, 80 lb bergen, belt kit and SLR (without sling swivels and carrying handle) and in summer......

Oh the joys of pouring sweat out of the mask and overboots...... :argh:

Never had a problem with the plastic lenses, and they didnt steam up as bad as the S6 glass eyepieces. The S10 also had a speech module built into the opposite side from the cannister, for attaching a radio microphone.

Pretty well sorted out bits of kit, a big improvement on the S6.

Don't tell me none of you summer-weighted "Training" canisters?! Good Lord, I thought all you regs did that :evil:

And yeah, I learned that one from an ex-reg... only word of warning he mentioned...

"Never use the summer can in the gas chamber, OK?":rofl: