Stalwart braking system & other bits

Why.? Is it because he is a mickey taker.waster ,layabout,and you let him go out with your daughter:rofl:

I had some thoughts on that when Neil posted CW but decided not to go there!

But seeing as you have shown less reserve than myself, here goes.

Boyfriend returns from holiday with large cases of imported Eastern block weapons to appease potential future father in law. Father does'nt want to know about this dodgy dealing.

As for who said weapons may be aimed at, I believe were not allowed to mention his name!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I had some thoughts on that when Neil posted CW but decided not to go there!

But seeing as you have shown less reserve than myself, here goes.

Boyfriend returns from holiday with large cases of imported Eastern block weapons to appease potential future father in law. Father does'nt want to know about this dodgy dealing.

As for who said weapons may be aimed at, I believe were not allowed to mention his name!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bet that compressor barrel will be fun to get back on!

On the plus side, winch bracket doesn't look too difficult to re-fabricate.

How much of Neil's orginal truck has made it over to this new hull?

Obviously not as much as intended, just wondered about engine and gearbox and there condition.

Definitely not. I know the engine and trans didn't as they told me they were seized solid - funny 'cos the engine was running quite happily after the prang - I had to switch her off.

One thing I did specifically tell them was to swap the fan belts over as the ones on the original hull were brand new. As Lee can tell you - the ones currently fitted are on their last legs so there's somethig else not done that was requested!!

Have now located new O-rings for the airpacks :-D

Well done that man!! :)

Why.? Is it because he is a mickey taker.waster ,layabout,and you let him go out with your daughter:rofl:

Nice one!! :rofl: :rofl: The BF's dad is getting on in years and feels his reactions aren't up to modern traffic so declined to drive around the M25 to Heathrow and back. Having seen some of the idiots we encountered there and back I can't blame him!! :)

Se we took the Bentley and met the BFs parent's in Arrivals (they opted to go by train in case he was early).

The "Two huge suitcases" turned out to be typical female/daughter exaggeration - it was a flight bag and a normal suitcase!!

I like Stormin's explanation though - wish (a) I'd thought of that one and (b) the BF had actually come from an East European country and not New York!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Both Neil and Lee will be the "GO TO" people on any future Stalwart Problems other forum member owners may have , as there does not seem to be much in the Vehicle they have not touched or explored .

It is very good news that you have been able to find the spares/ replacements needed and the work is proceeding as well as can be expected.

From the results so far on the brake system I m thinking you will need a couple of gallons of fluid to purge all the piping before you start to re-install all the components

removed so far ?

From the results so far on the brake system I m thinking you will need a couple of gallons of fluid to purge all the piping before you start to re-install all the components

removed so far ?

All the hard lines are being flushed through tomorrow, the flexibles are being replaced...

Having worked on many different types of vehicles both professionally and for fun, the condition of the components in this braking system does not really surprise me.

A couple of times on the London to Brighton run our M55 truck would seize one rear brake. It would be fine for the rest of the year. I persuaded the owner that we really ought to overhaul the (single line) system and I found all manner of stuff seized, rotten and contaminated. The vehicle was ex-reserve and only ha 15000 miles on the clock.

Back to the winch...

Started on the winch this morning while Neil was out shopping... I suspect the following occurred long before it went into restoration (but should of been spotted prior to hand over).

The first thing that is obvious is that the cable is on the drum feeding from the top & not the bottom as it's supposed to be..

101_3691.jpg

Next I found that the cable wasn't eeven on the guide wheels...

it looks like the cable was incorrectly installed as I can not see how the cable could jump the wheels without damaging them as only 5mm seperates the wheels.

101_3692.jpg

101_3694.jpg

101_3696.jpg

Set about getting that lot sorted..

101_3698.jpg

Thought it came off a beit easy then I realized the nut was missing..

101_3703.jpg

101_3699.jpg

Found the nut here...

101_3705.jpg

That end's now sorted...

101_3708.jpg

Getting the cable of the drum is another matter... going to try & pull it out with the Fox tomorrow.. it's well jammed at the moment...

101_3709.jpg

101_3714.jpg

101_3715.jpg

101_3716.jpg

WinchDiagram.jpg

The bar that was ripped off (previous post) is a right mess at the end where it was connected..

Master cylinder's back in today & pipework to airpacks flushed through... would of fitted the pedal fulcrum linkage but Neil forgot the EMMERS I need for the messurements to adjust the push rods...

101_3686.jpg

both these pushrods are supposed to be adjusted to the same length... this is how they were removed..

101_3687.jpg

After a struggle... Finally back in...

101_3719.jpg

Off to the workshop to finsih the airpacks:sweat:

Edited by Marmite!!

Don't panic Neil...

Finished rebuilding the airpacks last night & pressure tested them to 160psi (working pressure 115psi) but one of them was leaking through the atmosphere valve assembly... worked out it was the 1st/2nd stage air inlet that was letting by... had it apart 5 times but still no joy, so today I took the valve out & soaked it in mineral oil for a few hours.. bingo seems to of soften up the rubbers & now both packs are air tight.. just as well as no spares available for these

Airpack under pressure test...

102_3722.jpg

Rebuilt the governor & connected it to the compressor to set the working pressure 114-118psi.... when I took it off the pressure was set at 145psi:sweat:

Setting the governor...

102_3724.jpg

Last week I sent neil down to the hose doctor to get a couple of hard lines made up, he had the old ones as patterns... went to fit them today... can't work out how they got them so wrong:confused: back there in the morning to get them to remake them... will take the callipers with us this time..

102_3728.jpg

102_3729.jpg

How they should be...

DSC_0014.jpg

Thats good news Lee!! I spoke to Mark C from the Yahoo Stolly group on the phone tonight - he asked if we'd put the teaspoonful of OM-13 in the valve before testing as apparently this makes a big difference....

Right now then our big "problem" seems to be this:

Brokenbanjounion.jpg

The part is the banjo bolt marked on this exploded view:

Explodedairpack.jpg

It sheared off when being removed and sourcing a replacement has thus far proved impossible so tomorrow we will have to pop into the engineering firm thats doing the compressor bore for us and see if they can machine one up from scratch.

he asked if we'd put the teaspoonful of OM-13 in the valve before testing as apparently this makes a big difference....

Of course I did... & it goes in the airpack & not the valve...

The banjo bolt sheared off as it had been previously overtightened & stretched... took it into the hydraulic place today & they say it's a "one off" so no chance of getting one off the shelf..

Edited by Marmite!!

That sheared off fitting looks the same as one used in a Routemaster braking system. Unfortunately they are very difficult to get hold of now. We used to charge London General an exorbitant amount of money for things like that, especially if they needed one in a rush.

That sheared off fitting looks the same as one used in a Routemaster braking system. Unfortunately they are very difficult to get hold of now. We used to charge London General an exorbitant amount of money for things like that, especially if they needed one in a rush.

That sounds promissing... there's a shed load of Routemasters on the Bunkers land... the owner rents a couple of barns out to Bus Restorers... they are there most days so will pop in to see them:cool2:

That sounds promissing... there's a shed load of Routemasters on the Bunkers land... the owner rents a couple of barns out to Bus Restorers... they are there most days so will pop in to see them:cool2:

If they are where I think they are - then its right beside the place we store the caravan!! :):)

this is for sure one thorough shake down of the stolly brakes and to be honest a very useful review for those that do have a stolly...makes us all a bit fearful of just what can happen to these complex and sensitive machines.......I think i might get my guys to strip and clean my air packs...am getting awfully twitchy about them now...mine have been so good over the years that I just cant believe that they dont need a good clean and clear out...

Excellent work you guys...