Stalwart braking system & other bits

Picked up the new rigid hydraulic lines for the front callipers today as well as 2 x new "L" unions and 6 copper washers for the calliper ends of the flexi-hoses. Add £52.69 to the bill!!

Next start time is Thursday morning when we endeavour to work out how the brake masters come out!! :confused:

Hopefully the heavy rain of yesterday afternoon will have washed off the thick layer of Swarfega from both vehicles......

Yet more news... Lee dropped the lower hull plate yesterday to see if it gave better access to the brake master cylinders (it didn't) - and found the winch cable is all tangled up!!!

Another job to add to the list!!! :argh: And another thread to come for the blogs list...

I must say how lucky Neil is to have you as a mate Lee ! I think I will give the original repairer a wide berth if I should ever need "professional" assistance ! Amazing they are still in work ! :shake:

Tell me about mate - on both counts!!! I'm wondering what we are going to find when we look at the air packs!!! :shake:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I must say how lucky Neil is to have you as a mate Lee ! I think I will give the original repairer a wide berth if I should ever need "professional" assistance ! Amazing they are still in work ! :shake:

I have to agree with that.This is expensive work done proffesionally.Well done Lee,top man.:-D

Can you send all the bills to the company that claimed to have done the repairs? A lawsuit might be a nice option :)

I would suggest Neil's money is best spent with Lee, getting his braking system in order, rather than lining the pockets of lawyers.

Time to get the master cylinders out...

They're down there somewhere:sweat:

The two rods on the fulcrum linkage are supposed to be the same length but there is almost 2" difference in length

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

Removing another floor plate gave me access to the rear unions

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

Time for the tank to come out...

DSC_0057.jpg

& no suprise, loads of nasty stuff came out of that... it is actually a lot dirtier than it looks...

DSC_0079.jpg

Now for the fiddly bit, getting the cylinders out..

DSC_0065.jpg

Linkages out

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

& at last after alomost 2 hours hanging upside down... the master cylinders are out

DSC_0077.jpg

BrakeMasterpage2.jpg

BrakeMasterpage3.jpg

& that's me done in the cab for the day... bits are now in the workshop for a degrease & to fit new master cylinders to the bracket..

Next... in the engine bay:sweat:

Now for a Very Serious oversight (Negligence) by the "Restorers"

On lifting the engine decks to gain access to the airpacks I immidiately spotted that fluid had been leaking, on closer inspection I found the union from the air-pack to the front N/S caliper was undone & had been for some time, as you can see from the effect the fluid has had on the paint. Infact it was undone by 4 complete turns & easily moved with the fingers...

DSC_0088.jpg

You can clearly see that the union is undone by the clean visable threads..

DSC_0085.jpg

The vehicle is very dirty inside, I thought it had been 'restored'? Perhaps they meant restored to as released condition, rather than as new condition?

Yes I think they went for that "In-service" look.... everything was painted that way too... you know... NO preparation

Ok time to get the Sensing tank out... No.1 on the Braking System diagram...

DSC_0082.jpg

Sensingtank.jpg

All that crap shouldn't be in there...

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

Not sure how the oil got in there?? & there's a lot more sludge in there... through the compressor:confused:

The plastic pipe to the Governor was broken too...

Lee,

Looks like paint is stripped off above the union as well as though the next union above may be leaking as well!

I'm sorry to say but the shoddy state of this repair means the orginal re-builders should be prosecuted and prevented from leaving someone else with a death trap. I think trading standards would be interested to hear about the company involved.

Lee,

Looks like paint is stripped off above the union as well as though the next union above may be leaking as well!

There is not another union above it, you have to remember that the pressure it that pipe is very high, we messured it at 1100psi, (should be about 2,200psi) so when the brakes were applied it sprayed everywhere...

Not sure if mineral oil (OM13) strips paint like brake fluid does? so is it Mineral oil or Brake Fluid in the system??? I do know it's very contaminated with crap, water & who knows what else...