D-Day truck in motorway crash

BIGREDONE

In our local news tonight

Paul

1pixel_spacer.gifPublished Date: 09 June 2009

A military vehicle returning from France after the D-Day commemorations in Normandy was involved in a crash on the M27 on the outskirts of Portsmouth.

Old-style wartime military trucks were travelling in convoy when they stopped to help a female motorist whose Ford Fiesta had broken down on the hard shoulder.

When the convoy got back on the M27, one of the trucks collided with an 18-tonne lorry around 2.15pm yesterday (June 8).

Shortly afterwards there was another collision between a Bedford truck and a white Mercedes van in the same area.

Traffic was brought to a standstill on the M27 westbound between junctions 12 and 11, with huge tailbacks. Two lanes were closed but it was all clear by 3.30pm.

Two men, aged 36 and 64, were taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, with non-life-threatening injuries.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if they are forum members ??

Shame, hope both/all are OK.

Cheers for posting,Paul.

Andy

In our local news tonight

Paul

1pixel_spacer.gifPublished Date: 09 June 2009

A military vehicle returning from France after the D-Day commemorations in Normandy was involved in a crash on the M27 on the outskirts of Portsmouth.

Old-style wartime military trucks were travelling in convoy when they stopped to help a female motorist whose Ford Fiesta had broken down on the hard shoulder.

When the convoy got back on the M27, one of the trucks collided with an 18-tonne lorry around 2.15pm yesterday (June 8).

Shortly afterwards there was another collision between a Bedford truck and a white Mercedes van in the same area.

Traffic was brought to a standstill on the M27 westbound between junctions 12 and 11, with huge tailbacks. Two lanes were closed but it was all clear by 3.30pm.

Two men, aged 36 and 64, were taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, with non-life-threatening injuries.

Dunno if i'd stop to be honest... Getting the Dodge back up to what is still a very slow top speed (in motorway terms) takes time and before you know it you've got something sliding up behind you doing 70+ in the slow lane.. Dodgy

Is the age of chivalry a thing of the past now then ? :nono:

I don't think so, but sensibly (as Bodge says), you do have to think of safety, not just yourself but the other road users. It's one thing stopping in a car that can get back up to motorway speeds quickly, another thing entirely if you've got to manage it in a WWII truck.

Surely most of the trucks had passengers with mobiles. It should've been called in really, but nonetheless I hope all concerned are ok and the damage can be repaired.

Must admit, if I saw a MV broken down on the hard shoulder I would stop.

If you do that you are breaking the law.

The hard shoulder is there to be used only in an emergency

The highway code states that you should not try to repair a vehicle on the hard shoulder but call the emergency services by using the road side phones.

In my experience drivers on the motorway have very poor driving skills and a lack of awareness about stopping distances ! They seem to get in their comfort zones and forget what speed they are doing ! I would still stop for a lone female as I would hope someone would for my partner or Mum ! :-D

I would still stop for a lone female as I would hope someone would for my partner or Mum ! :-D

(not implying you personally of course) if she had any sense when on her own she should move well away from you and await uniformed emergency services. Attacks happen on the HS just as easily as anywhere else

Is the age of chivalry a thing of the past now then ? :nono:

I don't think it is mate. But at the end of the day all that happened was the woman broke down. Why does it need a load of WW2 Military vehicles to pull up and help out? That's why the Highways Agency has traffic officers on patrol and I'm sure she had a mobile and used the phone on the motorway.

When I was in the Army there was an incident in Germany when a mini bus broke down and pulled up on the hard shoulder. A truck ploughed into the back of it with the people still in it. It killed 3 soldiers. The hard shoulder is the last place you want to be, especially if there is nothing wrong with your vehicle.

I couldnt think of a worse place to help anyone out. Like as been said the Highways agency officers do that kind of job. All the MV owners were doing is adding to an already dangerous situation.

In the past when i have broken down,i have told the people accompanying me to carry on rather than stop with me.The traffic officers have been along soon after. Most deaths on the motorways are hard shoulder accidents.

I think it's very easy to sit in front of a computer keyboard and make judgments and whether right or wrong we all like to think were it our wife/partner/mother or daughter then some good Samaritan would stop to help.

Regards,

John.

My thoughts exactly ! :-D

I agree with some of the comments.

The hard shoulder IS NOT the place to play at being a good samaritan.

The highway code (the book we last read the night before we passed our test) clearly sets out the rules for the use of the hard shoulder.

There is no clause about good deeds by anybody.

It does however give very good and sensible advice for vunerable people who break down.

The roads would be a safer place if more people read and heeded the advice contained in the publication.

The latest edition is out and is available in all good booksellers

I use motorways as much as anyone in a modern vehicle, but I ventured onto one just once in my Explorer, it was scary! Driving a slow green hard to see vehicle on along one is bonkers, however big it is, let alone your small soft top pride and joy with no seatbelts and rubbish mirrors etc. Why risk being rear ended or a breakdown, take the scenic rout and enjoy!

I think it's very easy to sit in front of a computer keyboard and make judgments and whether right or wrong we all like to think were it our wife/partner/mother or daughter then some good Samaritan would stop to help.

Regards,

John.

Its easy for me to make the comments,as i have had experiance from a previous job where a tragedy did happen.

A driver for our company had stopped on the hard shoulder to aid a group of four people broken down in a Metro. The metro had pulled as far off the shoulder as possible and was part way on the embankment. Logic tells you,that in a situation like that. That all occupants leave the car and stand on the embankment.

But two people remained in the rear of the car,while the cars driver and passenger were talking with our driver on what the problem was. In a split second a pasiing artic side swiped our lorry,twisting it around and catapaulting it in to the back of the metro killing the two rear occupants instantly.

The police report said that if the Lorry had not been behind the car,then there was a high probability that no deaths would have occured. The artic driver was charged,and recieved a prison sentance. Our driver had to live with what happened for the rest of his life.

...The people who perhaps need to hone their driving skills are the ones who plough into slow or stationary vehicles ! :nono:

I couldn't agree with you more, but sadly that's utopian and unlikely, so it's up to the rest to think and prevent what might be a worst case senario.