Holier than thou!

Great War truck

I think that it is a common thing wherever older vehicles appear. My 'modern' motorcycle is only about thirty five years old and I've been modifying it (and sometimes back again) for most of that. It amuses me no end when people proudly tell me what's not 'correct' - Usually something that I've spent years working out a solution for.

The only way to beat these people is to be a better researched rivet counter.

I wouldn't usually bother to tell someone who didn't ask but the great risk wandering around a gathering is that the outraged owner crawls out of a nearby tent, having heard his machine being pulled to bits.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving bogies aside for the moment.

Trouble is, if everybody is too polite to mention or to ask about things which to us seem perfectly alright, how would learn if we have blundered?

I remember taking the FV1620 to its first show & I think I even got a prize, although it was incorrectly marked. Several people people commented how nice it looked, although one told me I had a lot still to do to it, which was perfectly true & something that I was well aware of.

I went to a lot trouble to measure & photograph the Unit & Divisional badges. I then carefully painted them on. But I was rather surprised that someone came & told me that one of the signs was wrong. I thought what possibly could be wrong as I had copied them from photos?

But I listened patiently & he explained in a kindly way that he was once a sign writer in 3 Div & he had considerable experience in painting these signs. He pointed out that the sign at the rear was fine but at the front it was upside down. I just happened to have had the photo upside down when I painted it on. Dooh!

I don't know whether others had noticed & were too polite to say, but I was most grateful to this veteran telling me about the 'bogey' on my vehicle.

I think that it is a common thing wherever older vehicles appear. My 'modern' motorcycle is only about thirty five years old and I've been modifying it (and sometimes back again) for most of that. It amuses me no end when people proudly tell me what's not 'correct' - Usually something that I've spent years working out a solution for.

The only way to beat these people is to be a better researched rivet counter.

I wouldn't usually bother to tell someone who didn't ask but the great risk wandering around a gathering is that the outraged owner crawls out of a nearby tent, having heard his machine being pulled to bits.

It's more fun when they never bother looking up and start having a good pull apart. Only to realize said irate owner is leaning out of the load bed looking less than happy!! :rofl: :rofl:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
CW said...........

"I never comment on other peoples vehicles as a rule"

The sentance " What on earth would possess you to want to buy that" springs to mind :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thats because he was a pushy Mutt owner trying to sell at an over inflated price.Dont forget Champs for Chumps,both were not comments

as such just me being downright rude.:-D

correction on comment.

What on earth would possess anyone to want to buy that.:rofl:

.CW I knew you would enjoy this but I have to say why do you insist on brown bogies when everyone knows they should normally be black, or are you just trying to be difficult?

I refer you back to Was it brown or was it black,whos evidence was it that proved it brown,i rest my case.:-D

PS i dont have to try to be difficult,it comes very easy.

Thats because he was a pushy Mutt owner trying to sell at an over inflated price.Dont forget Champs for Chumps,both were not comments

as such just me being downright rude.:-D

correction on comment.

What on earth would possess anyone to want to buy that.:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

Also the barking of "Get that bloody exhaust sorted out" to a certain Ferret owner.

CW knows how to upset a few when he is in his right frame of mind.:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

Also the barking of "Get that bloody exhaust sorted out" to a certain Ferret owner.:rofl:

I thought it was a Fox.:-D

Having a rare vehicle can sometimes work with these rivet counters, Forceful is one of the few Explorers not to have been a REME of RAF vehicle, which has had it's civilian reg number from new, and the contract number does not appear in any manuals etc..........................but usualy they don't believe that either :banghead:

I refer you back to Was it brown or was it black,whos evidence was it that proved it brown,i rest my case.:-D

PS i dont have to try to be difficult,it comes very easy.

Military Bogies are generally Green! If anyone requires any Bogies for restoration, I know where there are Hundereds of them.

ALL fitted to Railway Wagons!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Could be worse! i keep getting people coming up to me saying my vehicle was blown up! rumour had it that it was in Northern Ireland and the commander was killed in it and that a friend of somebodys mate who is related to his best mates sisters, brother in law was in it at the time, but they have bugger all proof of that.

However! Clive reckons that it was never purchased back by the army after its disposal at Ruddington in 1967 going by the records he has! i am inclined to agree

So the last show i was at "That was blown up etc i know something about the history of this vehicle" was replied with "What a load of bollocks!" :-D

I have enjoyed this. The comments I usally got with the Iltis began with "Oh dear..." but I loved her. The MUTT is another matter. So far the comments I've had have led to good mates lifting up the bonnet and finding the fault which could sink me (on going). I can't wait for what the counters say should I ever get her in some sort of formal markings situation. Don't hold your breaths. Driving her is my passion..cleaning the Somme mud off, less so.

I did think of giving my MUTT a name painted on the windscreen and my current choice remains ASKARI because I admire the african colonial troops of both world wars...of all sides. How many people will object to that? Answsers on a postcard...

I couldn't consider myself an expert in anything - there is also something new to learn - whatever the field. Eg, I've just learned that one of my work colleagues is the grandson of a wartime snapper for the NY Times. So thanks to him I've now learned how the London Bureau arranged their snapper ID codes and the names of other staff. Priceless. I will spend the rest of my career learning this stuff. It is a pleasure.

CW - if your snot's gone black you've got Swineflu - either that or a smokey chimney. If it's brown, you need to take your sunglasses off before looking at it.

Nick - seeing you MM was a joy...but so was your video of driving in the snow. No contest!

MB

I had the same with my old BSA A10 Gold Flash. I used it for work every day, so had everything powder coated, and stainless fixings. Also the paint on the tank was Road Rocket Red and chrome. I had the Cr*p ripped out of it by the lookies. So it's not just the MV critics. Oh well, what do they have, eh! :-D

I was at a show when a chap was looking around my retriever. he said my front wheels were on backwards. this would mean front wheels sticking out past mudguards. Then he listed about 20 other major 'faults' with it. Later this 'expert' asked me if it was for sale, I told him I could not sell it with all these faults. Never saw him again.... Other thing I see often is the expert with a group of his young followers look at a vehicle the expert will then tell a story or should I say he talks b---ocks then walks off quickly before his followers can see through him, these people dont seem to like his mistakes being pointed out in public.

I too have seen this "expert opinion" occur here around the other side of the world (NZ, especially on the steam rally field.

And who were the worst offenders at this garbage. Those from the other side of the world!

However I am not tarring all Poms with the same brush, just some.

As earlier pointed out by others in this forum,its the attitude of "knows best" and to hell with the locals.

I also recall a rally where a chap was proudly describing the features or his rarer tractor to a crowd of on lookers. The information he was using was so incorrect it was embarrassing. Some time later I caught up with this chap and asked him about his tractor ( I have one of the same model at home). He had recently purchased the tractor, had done only a little research, and was simply inventing a story line to suit the visitors. A cheque book collector who never gets his hands dirty. He was not interested in facts so I left him to his peril.

Like Tim I will enjoy getting my WW1 trucks on to display and who then will be able to complain "that it is not as it was it my day"

Doug

Edited by nz2
error

Having a rare vehicle can sometimes work with these rivet counters, Forceful is one of the few Explorers not to have been a REME of RAF vehicle, which has had it's civilian reg number from new, and the contract number does not appear in any manuals etc..........................but usualy they don't believe that either :banghead:

.............and as for the red grill,..............:cool2:

I keep getting asked when do I expect to finish my Explorer, I usually laugh and tell them something that size is never "finished"

You couldnt take it off the road anyway, you are usually too busy winching somebody or something out of whatever or doing a suspended tow of somebody, and you need it to move/service your increasing fleet!

You probably have a more interesting "Working" exhibit for it, so stuff the originality freaks, anyway they couldnt count the rivets, too much mud :-D

Snapper, paint Askari on your vehicle, its yours you pay the bills, if its your interest, go ahead, and if anybody asks about it, its a story in itself.

I have always found the best way to deflate these people is to ask where there vehicles ares and why they are not there. The other anserr is to point out that these are no longer in service and are not inservice vehicles!

I can cope with most comments & questions of their various kinds from various levels of people, but the thing that really gets up my nose is the incessant flow of people who feel they have to tap the side of your vehicle :argh::argh::argh:

Why the hell do they have to do it? It just goes on & on throughout the day. Is it only if you are in something armoured or does everybody get this stupidity?

Whether you are making a cup of tea, on the bog, reading a book or just having a nap, there it is tap tap tap. If I am really wound up I lie in wait for the next tapper & then bang back on the inside with a riot truncheon & that can make quite a noise. :evil:

I can cope with most comments & questions of their various kinds from various levels of people, but the thing that really gets up my nose is the incessant flow of people who feel they have to tap the side of your vehicle :argh::argh::argh:

Why the hell do they have to do it? It just goes on & on throughout the day. Is it only if you are in something armoured or does everybody get this stupidity?

Whether you are making a cup of tea, on the bog, reading a book or just having a nap, there it is tap tap tap. If I am really wound up I lie in wait for the next tapper & then bang back on the inside with a riot truncheon & that can make quite a noise. :evil:

Clive, SOME of these Morons may well think it's a fim prop made from steel sheeting!

After all, there are a few out there, SZKFZ 222 for example!

Perhaps you could 'Tap' them on the side of the head in the with the reasoning, 'Im just checking to see if there's a brain in there'!...:rofl:

keep you cool Mate, I empathise it's difficult. But we are all Ambassidors of this Hobby. :wave:

I can cope with most comments & questions of their various kinds from various levels of people, but the thing that really gets up my nose is the incessant flow of people who feel they have to tap the side of your vehicle

Clive

I have a similar problem with my WOT2 truck. I have noticed people rubbing the side lights on the wings, which have now got a slight shine to them. It's not something Phallic, is it?

Edited by woa2
added a bit more

Clive

I have a similar problem with my WOT2 truck. I have noticed people rubbing the side lights on the wings, which have now got a slight shine to them. It's not something Phallic, is it?

Robert, Maybe some of these 'Sados' need something to, 'Light up thier lives'!.............:-D

Clive

Or the other way round with smoke discharger covers? As an experiment I put flat rubbers on one set & on the other the pert pointy ones. No surprises which type invited greater fondling & admiration!

I managed to reduce silly smoke discharger questions by placing a Dymo label beside them reading "THESE THINGS ARE SMOKE DISCHARGERS - DO NOT TALK TO THE MAN"

On a Pig I used to leave a front locker open, inevitably it would get opened. Often I could hear a titter of laughter as the lid was opened & the label inside was read "DON'T BE SO BLOODY NOSEY!" It always seemed to be taken in good humour.

Edited by fv1609

As every body seemed to have to look into the barrel of Steve's Long Tom, (horizontal about head height) I stuck a 6" smiley face on a block of wood and pushed it in as far as my finger tips would reach. After a while we noticed it was not making people laugh any more..........some s*d had nicked it!!