Holier than thou!

Great War truck

Something a friend brought to my attention last night is something that I have been aware of for a while but not really given much thought, is the “holier than thou” attitude of some MV owners. Let me explain:

You have arrived at a show in your Jeep and someone comes up to you and says “ah, you have got Ford pedals on a Willys” or “That jerrycan is post war”, or maybe “That windscreen is not original”. Basically, it is finding faults in someone elses vehicle and then telling them about it. We all look at other peoples vehicles and you cant but help but notice things that are out of place (radio aerials usually) or wrong (like the six pointed star I saw on one Jeep). But then going up to the owner and telling them about it is pushing your luck and rather rude.

I have seen this done a lot with Jeeps, but do different MV owners do it as well? It does not happen a lot with WW1 stuff I must say, but we have had someone come up to us and say that the original Autocar seat raising mechanism was not original (basically, you pull the handle and it leaps up almost on its own – very good idea for its day). Anyway, my thought is that this seems to affect jeep owners more than other vehicle owners. Is this because the jeep design and variations are better documented than other MV’s, or are Jeep owners just a bit more cantankerous and like to demonstrate their superior knowledge.

I must point out at this stage that I am a Jeep owner, quite cantankerous and have been told that my Willys Jeep has Hotchkiss wheels (it doesn’t), an incorrect windscreen (it is indeed a replica), Ford pedals (actually they are Willys) and a host of other things apparently wrong with it. When given this sort of advice I normally smile and thank them for imparting their obviously superior knowledge.

So, has anybody else been incorrectly told that their vehicle has some terrible problem? Unless of course you covered in chequer plate and painted it in pink, in which case please do not reply until you have been out into the garage and sorted it out.

Tim (too)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Our vehicle is so correct Tim we have had to put a brown jerry can on the back to give them something to pick on,it is actually correct as far as CES is concerned,but of course nobody remembers them brown only black.See the thread was it brown or was it black if you havnt allready.:rofl:its a laugh.CW.

Hi Tim,it seems to be human nature to think you know more than someone else I'm afraid ! Sometimes people take things a little too seriously I think ! I must admit I like people to voice their opinion about my vehicles if its done in a friendly manner but patronise me at your peril ! :-D I'm happy to admit that my knowledge is not unlimited ! But the people who force their opinion on you tend to be the ones who walk around shows on their own ! :cry:

I find the best way to avoid these situations is to have a vehicle which is so obscure nobody else has ever seen one or could possibly know anything about it !

Mind....I'd have thought Tims collection fitted pretty well into that category so..........

I think the more popular or common the vehicle, the more information is published on them. More for people to take in and remember, rightly or wrongly. Then more ammunition to offend people with.

Get a less common or preferably unique vehicle would be the only way to reduce the problem .Even then you could still meet the village idiot. :banghead:

I think you are all quite right. I must admit to looking at say a bright pink Jeep or a ferret with chequer plate and saying to myself "Thats not quite right", but i try not to tell the owner.

I also admit (rather ashamedly) to standing next to the FWD just praying for someone to come up to me and say "Those wheels are wrong, they should be wooden" or "your fuel tank is post war". But i think they see me watching them and then move away. One day it will happen.

Tim (too)

Hi Tim,it seems to be human nature to think you know more than someone else I'm afraid ! Sometimes people take things a little too seriously I think ! I must admit I like people to voice their opinion about my vehicles if its done in a friendly manner but patronise me at your peril ! :-D I'm happy to admit that my knowledge is not unlimited ! But the people who force their opinion on you tend to be the ones who walk around shows on their own ! :cry:

and they dont own a mv either!!! Its the same in the preserved bus world, and I assume everywhere else somebody preserves something.

Mark :cool:

Ah, rivet counters........

Sod 'em!

Yes, Ive' been at a shows where a chap informed me he drove a Saracen in the second world war. I was so amused I didnt have the heart to tell him they were designed & produced post WWII!

& dont you just love the Radio Types who dicuss amongst themselves (Loudly, so you CAN hear!) 'Oh look, he's got the MKI spring washer instead of the MK II/I on the radio mount' (Or similar Boring Crap to that effect!)

I have had kind accolades thrown at me, & about me from Friends /customers that I 'am an Expert'. I imediately refute this 'Title', & correctly inform them. 'No, I dont classify myself as an expert. Because, there is ALWAYS somebody who knows something YOU dont'! 'I consider myself Knowledgable in MY field, & have a little knowledge of a vast spectrum of things accross the board'!

I think this covers it nicely & above all, Honestly.

Mike............:angel:

I get a lot of reactions about the fake barbed wire which is wrapped around my spare wheel... Lots of people touch it to make sure what it is.

Also my German helmet on the spare wheel leads to a lot of comment.

"A US truck?, but that's a German helmet!?".

Yes, spoils of war...if you look at the right runningboard you'll also see a 1943 German jerrycan...

I find the best way to avoid these situations is to have a vehicle which is so obscure nobody else has ever seen one or could possibly know anything about it !

I had just a vehicle...the M422 Mighty Mite, everyone always used the same line, " seen pictures but never seen one before"...not even Pat Ware !

I prefer to see a JEEP WILLY with pedals of FORD that not JEEP which in any event runs on the ground of battle the mechanics make this qu' they can so that the vehicles run same if it is necessary recovered on donneuse parts d' another marque.je will prefer to have a jeep can be with parts d' after war which rolls with a anacronism and to make it evolve/move qu' in one finds the good part.

What the rivet counters don't understand is that during service MV's get changed all the time, my grandad drove a morris(Ithink) during the war towing a cut down italian truck as a trailer. He did'nt get a kit change for 3 yrs and wore italian officers trousers cut down as shorts!

I was talking to a para in afganistan via the net about land rovers and the REME, he said they had a permanent attchment of REME with them cutting/welding/taking bits of MV's.

Yeah! And then you sold it!!

Because it had to be treated like museum exhibit, very few parts available, NON in UK, trailer it to events, not very practical, I like to drive my MV's not leave them in the garage gathering dust

Edited by Nick Johns

As most of you know; My Albion is the only one of its kind and will have a lighting upgrade in the name of safety when restored.

Regardless of its rarity; no doubt I will come across someone who knows where there are hundreds of them, wil point out the numerous flaws with parts used for the restoration, the incorrect lighting etc, but as Rambo says, military vehicles were subject to being upgraded during service, so there will always be items that weren't as they left the factory.

Spose we'll have the last laugh though..............sad bu**ers. :-D

The problem with that is that they will assume it is home made! If we are too touchy because they aren't meant to come & ask you about it, they'll go off believing that to be the case.

I remember taking my Shorland SB301 to a show & I heard an MV expert of some experience tell people not to look at my exhibit as it wasn't real. How dare he! No other Shorland in the world looked like it, but it was 100% genuine. I would be delighted if someone asked me about its history.

Having a board up is no good if the public are warned off it. My first show with it I remember seeing the judge totally blank my vehicle, so unauthentic to his mind that he couldn't condescend to read the history board.

I have had the same with my RUC pig because it doesn't quite look any other pig people have seen. I have been in close proximity to a Mk 2 Pig, yet heard visitors walk past my pig & declare that the Mk 2 "is a real Belfast one". Apart from not reading my board, the registration indicates that it was registered in Belfast in 1958, long before the British Army brought their pigs in.

I have just returned from a show where I had my RUC Shorland, which again doesn't look like any other Shorland that people have seen. There were quite a lot of questions. The opening ones are mostly "does it float?" (for goodness sake!) & "is it homemade?", once we get past that some quite interesting conversations were made & some useful contacts.

So I don't think we should be too touchy, that we are unapproachable. Otherwise visitors & fellow enthusiasts won't learn and just occasionally we can learn something.

I try to bite my lip most of the time as some owners are well aware their vehicular embellishments are to their particular fancy rather than something authentic. But sometimes one has to engage in conversation & if you think the moment is right see they are amenable to advice kindly given. In the same way that you would, I hope, tell someone you met that they have a bogey on their nose.

One can get "f*** off, its my f***ing vehicle & I can do what I like with it" or a very grateful response. On one occasion a vehicle owner with markings in all the wrong places, met me at the next show & gave me bottle of wine & very pleased that he had sorted out his markings.

So lets not be too touchy. Although I know the manner of the "critic" is crucial. But please I am delighted if someone would talk to me about my vehicles, it's far better than being ignored!

Edited by fv1609

I try to bite my lip most of the time as some owners are well aware their vehicular embellishments are to their particular fancy rather than something authentic. But sometimes one has to engage in conversation & if you think the moment is right see they are amenable to advice kindly given.

In the same way that you would, I hope, tell someone you met that they have a bogey on their nose.

CLIVE, WOULD THAT BE A REAL BOGIE, OR A FAKE ONE THAT THE EXHIBITOR PUT THERE FOR HIS OWN 'EMBELISHMENT'!.....:rofl:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
In the same way that you would' date=' I hope, tell someone you met that they have a bogey on their nose.[/u'][/b]

:rofl:That reminds me years ago when we were working on bldg sites and used the underground we would make out people had bogeys and signal to them that they had,discreatly,every time they would discreatly try to get rid of it we would shake our head signalling it was still there.The antics they got up to trying to get rid of it had us in fits,Lunch hour we would get bored and go out and start pointing up at some high bldg or roof and start acting as if something was going on.We used to gather quite a croud.Thinking about it has me in fits even now.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I never comment on other peoples vehicles as a rule only to comment on a really nice restoration.If in conversation i was asked my opinion about a particular item and whether it was correct ,if i knew, i might then give my opinion.i do of course mumble to my self as i am sure we all do,Crap,thats not correct,never in a million years and so on.Its all just for fun people do the best they can,and we arnt all born equal financially or mentally.

My vehicle has the wrong tyres,lights etc,but as i drive it as fast as it will go normally in all weathers i like to see where i am going and like to think it will stay on the rd.:-D

Just to clarify my earlier comment - I would never , unless provoked in the extreme - be anything other than polite , friendly and informative to anybody interested enough to comment or enquire about one of my vehicles , I am always greatly pleased when somebody does actually take an interest . As I seem to have a penchant for the unusual and obscure (which normally translates into meaning something which is of no interest to anybody else whatsoever should I decide to sell it at some future point ) I have had comments ranging from 'whatever prompted you to buy one of those useless things they never were any bloody good' to ' oh , brilliant , I used to love them , thank you for bringing it to the show I've never seen one restored before , that's brought back some memories' .

And both of those comments were about the same vehicle so proving that you can't please everybody .

CLIVE, WOULD THAT BE A REAL BOGIE, OR A FAKE ONE THAT THE EXHIBITOR PUT THERE FOR HIS OWN 'EMBELISHMENT'!.

That's a difficult one, who can tell? I recently was reading a 1908 training manual, it had hardly been read before. But I found a bogey stuck on one of the pages, now was this a 101-year old bogey or did it come from the nostrils of the bookseller? Should I remove it for being modern contamination or should I keep it in situ and preserve the context of the said item?

If anyone can determine its age, I am willing to pass it to serious collector together with a collection of repro ones for comparison.

CW I knew you would enjoy this but I have to say why do you insist on brown bogies when everyone knows they should normally be black, or are you just trying to be difficult?

Edited by fv1609

:rofl:That reminds me years ago when we were working on bldg sites and used the underground we would make out people had bogeys and signal to them that they had,discreatly,every time they would discreatly try to get rid of it we would shake our head signalling it was still there.The antics they got up to trying to get rid of it had us in fits,Lunch hour we would get bored and go out and start pointing up at some high bldg or roof and start acting as if something was going on.We used to gather quite a croud.Thinking about it has me in fits even now.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I never comment on other peoples vehicles as a rule only to comment on a really nice restoration.If in conversation i was asked my opinion about a particular item and whether it was correct ,if i knew, i might then give my opinion.i do of course mumble to my self as i am sure we all do,Crap,thats not correct,never in a million years and so on.Its all just for fun people do the best they can,and we arnt all born equal financially or mentally.

My vehicle has the wrong tyres,lights etc,but as i drive it as fast as it will go normally in all weathers i like to see where i am going and like to think it will stay on the rd.:-D

CW said...........

"I never comment on other peoples vehicles as a rule"

The sentance " What on earth would possess you to want to buy that" springs to mind :rofl::rofl::rofl: