Young passengers in your MV

Larry Hayward

Question

I know that if a seatbelt is fitted and available it has to be used, so my son cannot jump about in the back of my Lightweight Land Rover (when its just me and him out for the afternoon) so he has to sit in the front. However do I need to take a booster seat for my son when he sits in the front passenger seat, as he is very tall for his age. He is age 6 and 4' 2" and is 3st 11 lb!.

I have no idea where to find the rules governing when a child needs a booster seat - though my son is belted up quite well without it in the LW.

4 answers to this question

I have an idea there was a suggestion in the papers recently, saying booster seats would be compulsory for children up to a certain age - probably some kind of EU directive again but I cannot remember details.

I think it suggested that children should be using them past the age when most parents have dumped them.

Been doing a bit of digging -well , OK, googling - on this 'cos it intrigued me and turned up this:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/page/dft_rdsafety_611257.hcsp

This is the official Department for Transport site and has all the info on the new regs that come into effect from Sept. this year.

Hope it helps answer the questions!! :D

Thanks Neil,

The results of your research will be of interest to MV owners looking to take their family members out for the day to an MV show. These are the most important sections for older vehicles:-

8. Does that mean that I may not carry children in just a seat belt until they are over 135cm?

Correct - the new law (from Sept 2006) requires this for children's safety.

15. Do the rules apply in cars not fitted with seatbelts?

Children under 3 must use the appropriate child restraint in all cases - there is no exemption for them in vehicles with no seatbelts in the rear, such as classic cars. However, children 3 years to 135 cm height may be carried in the rear of such vehicles without restraints but they can only go in the front if they use the correct child seat or booster.

17. What if there are no seat belts in the rear of a vehicle

Children under 3 must use the correct baby seat or child seat so they would need to be travelling in the front in the correct child restraint. Children 3 and over must use child seats or boosters in the rear where seat belts are fitted. The law is not going to make people fit restraints in the rear of vehicles where the seats do not have seat belts; but it is not safe for children to ride in the rear of a vehicle without a restraint.

These rules sound very much like those that Madman mentioned, that stop him from carrying passengers in the back of his Weapons Carrier