Leyland

Niels v

Yes I would agree with Antar Mike, both the prototypes finished their time in Hardwicks yard, in Ewell, South London. Their engines were cut out and sold to tractor pullers. I understand that they both came from Chertsey (trials and testing for british army). Had I been perhaps 5-10 years older than I am I would have without doubt bought and rebuilt one of them before they were cut up. I visited Hardwicks 24 years ago after they had been cut up. There are some colour pictures of them in Pat Wares "collection of pictures" Tugs of War. The guy standing on the rear wing of one is Frank Derrick an old friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us, he had visited the yard about 3 years before when they were still there less their engines. Hardwicks should have known better than to cut up such rare prototypes as they at the time had quite a collection of old lories and steamers. Their yard was eventually sold for building houses.

John.

The body design forward of the cab looks so different to other trucks of that period. The bonnet and radiator surround area looks so similar in pattern to a new Volvo truck. Does this mean the Leyland engineers were so far ahead with design that the rest of the world took 50 years to follow!

The tyre size is also noticeably large. Availability a problem but being military, price would not necessarily intervene, Could they be industrial tyres like on a loader etc, as if speed was not the issue rather than weight.

Does any one have the specs on these; Motor etc?

Doug:writing:moz-screenshot.jpg

Bart lists the details as Rover Meteorite 80 No2 Mk1 V8with petrol injection 510bhp, 5F1RX3(2 pedal control),wb 16'0", 27'7"x11'0"x11'0", 54,880lb,Tyres 1800x24, three point suspension, 12" wheel articulation (unsprung walking beams at rear). PAS. 15ton winch. Crew 12.