Computer advice needed

Dougy FV432

Question

Hello all,

When it comes to computers I am just as stupid as I am with military vehicles.

But Help, Can any tell me how to resize a picture. When I take a pic and download onto my computer if I have taken it in a high quality setting the size of the "jpeg" can range from 1.5 to 3 MB. When I want to E-mail one or upload one to my photobucket page it seems to take an eternity. First of how do I get it down to approx 500kb so I can upload quicker and how to make it smaller dimensions so it fits on these forum pages better.

I have tried altering settings in microsoft photo editor or I have something called FinePix which gets the pictures from the camera, which is all I do with that, it can probably do more than that.

Oh while I am at it why do pictures I print always come out a different colour from that viewed on the computer. When I say different, for an example I printed a pic of my girlfriend's horse for her and there was a brick wall behind it and on the screen it was brick colour and on the print it was very "orange", the wall that is not the horse.

If it makes a difference I have windows XP home edition with plus/digital package added

Thanks in advance

Dougy

5 answers to this question

Microsoft Paint I think is included with XP. It is in START - ACCESSORIES - PAINT. There is a resize option under IMAGE - STRETCH/SKEW where you can adjust the % size.

There are other free downloadable programs available on the net.

Printed colours depend on the printer and ink. The screen won't always give a true colour as the brightness, contrast, gamma can all be adjusted changing what you see on screen compared to what will print out.

Steve

If the screen colour looks like reality but what comes out of the printer is different then it might also pay to check the ink levels in the printer and, if possible the colour balance, LexMark for example give you a test routine that prints off a page and you then determine visually which colour setting looks right on a number of samples and enter the appropriate value - this then sets the pinter colour balance for the current ink cartridge. Can you do this on the printer you have??

If you have got MSPhotoeditor, is that in XP? then just go to the top menu of 'Image' - drop down menu -'resize' , that allows by % or down to a pixel size. If you have Windows picture and Fax viewer then use the next to the far right bottom button and that goes to Paint and editing and change the size as was said before.

First I put the cursor on the photo then I click on the rightmouse button and a lot of options appear among them resize pictures.

Click on the leftmouse button and options appear to resize like Small, Medium and Large. I use medium.

Don't know if that's a standard thing, I don't understand computers either. :-(

Hope it works for you.