Austin 10 ligth utility "tilly"

Higgins kpt.

one my, fine foto from Normandy, I talk with Austin Tilly owner in Arromanches,

tell me his Tilly go "with god help"...:-D

Unfortunatly the owner of this Tilly passed away after Normandy.

R.I.P. Felix!

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

Hi to all tilly owners,

can somebody help me with my new war beast? :yay:Now I need the pictures of inside rear body.

I have one question. Know somebody why many of Malta tillys are paited in blue colour?

Cheers Radek

If I know the Maltese they simply acquired 'any colour' and used it. It was certainly the case when visited there some years ago. Ex-military vehicles were fairly common in al sorts of colours. But in 1998 or so I did see a steam shovel used by a construction company still in the WW 2 SCC.2 brown.

If I know the Maltese they simply acquired 'any colour' and used it. It was certainly the case when visited there some years ago. Ex-military vehicles were fairly common in al sorts of colours. But in 1998 or so I did see a steam shovel used by a construction company still in the WW 2 SCC.2 brown.

I think it also, my Austin was also blue, but it not military colour, under blue, was brown, black, red, silver(!!!), yellow and green.

have question for other owners Austin Tilly-

eletrical question - rear lamp or lamps, i see on pictures every Tilly(!?) after reconstruction have on rear side only one lamp, think its stop lamp(?),

i think it's funny, becouse other british military vehicles have two lamp - stop and tail light, off course plus axle floodlamp.

But in maintenance manual from march 1944 is only tail lamp, but in negative earth circuit is "rear lamp and stop lamp"???

And I think hole in the rear bumper for lights is big enough for two lights,

best is wartime picture, but think is problem, Austin Tilly from rear side with lamp

maybe someone of you knows the reality of war, I am interested in year 1943, 1944, 1945

thank you for the information

Tom

Tilly%2009%20041.jpg

There are not many wartime pictures of the Tilly tail. I found one of an earlier Tilly (according to the WD-number). This shows two taillights. I did know that the very early Tilly had two, but this picture suggest more contracts had twin taillights.

The maintenance manual of March 1944 shows indeed a single taillight.

tillytail2.jpg

tillytail.jpg

thank you!thanks for very good answer with perfect wartime foto!

Thinks both variants is good.

Think this pictre is cca 1941-42, think by soldiers uniforms, battla dress patt.37 and 1907 bayonet SMLE,

in second half 1942 year, go to the British army patt.40 and No.4 rifles with spike bayonets,

but this is only conjecture, photos can be with a later time.

I have to make a new rear board, because someone board removed, on Malta and replaced the iron reinforcement (!)

tilly 15.5.09 018.jpg

Tom I also had the intention to fit two lamps to my Tilly. But an in-depth studdy and article by Clive Sammut in 'Tilly Text' emplanes that by the period of our Tilly's, the stop lamp was deleted. Leaving just the tail lamp and axle flood lamp with change over switch.

I expect if you send a message to Mike Shackleton, he will send you the article. Ron

Tom I also had the intention to fit two lamps to my Tilly. But an in-depth studdy and article by Clive Sammut in 'Tilly Text' emplanes that by the period of our Tilly's, the stop lamp was deleted. Leaving just the tail lamp and axle flood lamp with change over switch.

I expect if you send a message to Mike Shackleton, he will send you the article. Ron

Hi Ron,

I think the "no stop lights" was common throughout British built MV's during the greater part of WW2. There was a provision to switch the rear light over to convoy, but I cannot recollect seeing brake lights or switches to cancel them on most vehicles of the period due to blackout conditions.

Richard

Thanks for that Richard. I seem to remember that Clive's article gave the contracts for Austin Tilly's which did and didn't have a stop lamp fitted. I haven't checked, but since Tom's census number is so close to mine, I'm guessing it's from the same contract.

Ron

Thanks for that Richard. I seem to remember that Clive's article gave the contracts for Austin Tilly's which did and didn't have a stop lamp fitted. I haven't checked, but since Tom's census number is so close to mine, I'm guessing it's from the same contract.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Your post has just reminded me that I have a couple of Austin tilly parts books, just dug them out and one is dated 1940, with stop lamp and the other is a 1945 Master parts book for all Austin Tilly contracts, it gives chassis numbers of when lamps were fitted. If you send me your chassis number I will work out what it would have fitted.

regards, Richard

Hi Ron,

Your post has just reminded me that I have a couple of Austin tilly parts books, just dug them out and one is dated 1940, with stop lamp and the other is a 1945 Master parts book for all Austin Tilly contracts, it gives chassis numbers of when lamps were fitted. If you send me your chassis number I will work out what it would have fitted.

regards, Richard

I am glad that my question aroused interest and did not find it stupid:-D

this is my first Tilly.....:D

Tom

My chassis number is 211933

Hi Ron,

its very interesting only 89 chassis between my and yours Tilly!!!

Think both Tillyes have first meeting in Austin factory!

Richard , thank you for information!

I make now woods parts for body, but I do not have photos, my camera died...

And have problem - position body, rear side,

i must start work from rear side, becouse work with cab be very, very problematic, and think front body side, be

good hard position for the doors gate.

But wood parts is out and I dont know dimension, start position for rear body side, sorry my English is very wrong,

please see on picture, thanks for help!

Tom

tillyd.JPG

And have problem - position body, rear side,

i must start work from rear side, becouse work with cab be very, very problematic, and think front body side, be

good hard position for the doors gate.

But wood parts is out and I dont know dimension, start position for rear body side, sorry my English is very wrong,

please see on picture, thanks for help!

Isn't it risky to start from the rear?

We made some mods to our floor. Under the floorboard is a large space which can be used as extra storage. To access this I can lift the floor from te rear...

2012-12-31 15.16.25.jpg

Raw00007.jpg

DSC01143.jpg