SAE 140 modern alternative?

Hello all,

I'm looking for the gear oil for the gearbox on the bedford. I have been advised to use SAE 140 but can't find any or a modern equivilent. I have found some alternatives but so far nobody sells less that 20 litre drums, and thats a bit much for bedford box. So any idea's?

Hello all,

I'm looking for the gear oil for the gearbox on the bedford. I have been advised to use SAE 140 but can't find any or a modern equivilent. I have found some alternatives but so far nobody sells less that 20 litre drums, and thats a bit much for bedford box. So any idea's?

Hi Rippo,

I have a training booklet written by the Army MT School in 1947, for the Bedford QL. Gearbox is identical. For axles, gearbox and transfer box, they are specifying Hypoid 90, so the change from a straight 140 gear oil to hypoid 90, happened between 1945 and 1947. Hope this helps.

Are there any known distributors in the manchester, stoke on trent area?

I did find a morris distributor in leek but they only had 25 litre's.

I got contact details for my local distributors from Morris, they were most helpful. I guess some smaller pack sizes might only be available on-line.....

Dont know if this is close enough to suit you but Pennine Lubricants in Sheffield stock SAE140 and SAE30 'Heritage' motor oil for the engine. I'm currently using both in my MW. I got 5 litres of each for not much more than Morris charge for 5litres of their 30.