Barn find onan generator

I just bought a very nice WW2 Onan PE-95-C generator, its been stood in a barn in France for about 25 years and was rebuilt by the French army in 1952. Fortunatlly the original US data plates and name plates are still on which is nice as they are normally changed for French ones. It has a Ford GP engine not the normal GPW engine which is also rare, The engine turns over ok with good compression so no stuck valves.

It was still sealed with all openings taped up and silica gell plugs screwed in the plug holes, I found the spark plugs wrapped in grease paper in the spares box with other parts along with the check sheet dated 1959 the last time it was checked for long term storage.

Its almost a shame to unseal it and run it up as its so nice as it is.

Here are a few pics taken to day when it arrived back at our workshop, enjoy.

Jim.

JEEPGENERATOR001.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR004.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR005.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR010.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR006.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR007.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR013.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR014.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR018.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR015.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR016.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR012.jpg

JEEPGENERATOR011.jpg

Edited by Jim Clark

Doh, its in the title Jack "barn find" means it was found in a barn. So you look in barns,not new used ones but the old unkept, tumble down type , easy innit.

Jim.

Right - I am gonna to for some barns next month whilst in Normandy. If I don't find one then I will be asking for my money back and I will come looking for you!!

The Jeep engined generators are the PE-95-G which is quite a bit different to yours Jim. Nice find!

Hi Adrian, I think you are right there. I dont know much about these gennys but from what I have found out the PE-95- A,B and C were all Ford ONY engine (basically Ford GP engine) driven and had updraught carbs, magneto ignition systems and produced 110 volts.The later Pe-95-F,G,H to K had GPW/MB engines with the normal battery/ coil/distributor ignition system and down draught carbs with an output of 240 volts

If anyone knows any more please let me know.

Jim

Tony, I think I will, I like to see things being used not just sat there like museum pieces.

Jim.

Er .................... can ya video it please.......... bought some speakers for me old 'puter today, and I can hear things at last. Been watching and listening to Scammell videos most of the afternoon. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

That's a coincidence - I recently acquired a PE-143-E Power Unit just for the Continental engine! It is very slightly smaller than this GP one. The rest is in fair order so I'm hoping to slot in a spare 3cyl Yanmar diesel to make a nice ecomical dc welder.

I'm having a problem finding a manual for this particular model despite having found several web resources listing manuals for a whole multitude of other WW2 power units.

• 2 years later...

Hi N.O.S I have a manual for one of these, my genny shares the same cabinet as Jims but mine is powered by a Y91 Continental Engine,The generator part is Onan. my genny to was a barn find, dont think it had been run, it had stood so long that I had to fit new valves and valve guides as the originals had dried in solid. It now runs really well and is not very noisy when running.

Howard.

Hi N.O.S I have a manual for one of these, my genny shares the same cabinet as Jims but mine is powered by a Y91 Continental Engine,The generator part is Onan....

Howard.

If the manual is for a PE-143-E then I'd really like to borrow it to copy, H! I assume yours can be used as a welder set too?

Howdy NOS,

I think you should change your forum name to Jammy Git, more suitable after finding that! What a find, you must be darn chuffed with that!;)

Looking at it a few thoughts come to mind from a practical point of view.

I see there is no hoisting point or structure to support one on the top, only four corner holes. It was made before the days of pallet forks.

How will you display this? Will you trailer mount it? Was there a "kit" to do that? What was the proper trailer?

In some ways it looks as if it was designed with a skid base because of the upturns at each end.

R