Hard to find bike tyres???

ToTec

Hi

I just wanted to see if anyone knows of any sizes of bike tyres that you find really hard to get??? We are importing some tyres and the maker has a wide range of sizes for old models so just wanted to check if their are any sizes people are finding hard to get as may be able to help???

Let me know if you have any info and thanks for your hep

Rgds

Donald

In terms of British motorcycles, there is no real problem in getting tyres to fit in the 3.25 or 3.50 x 19 sizes generally found. The problem is that they generally look a bit modern and are a little too road-biased.

If you had a copy of the old Dunlop Universal or Good Year Extra Grip especially in 3.25 then I'm sure you'd have a market.

I can think of a few.

3.25 - 20 rears for Rudge Ulsters, Norton Inters etc

3.50 - 19 Dunlop Trials Universal style for Trophys, TR6C's, BSA Hornets, Norton/Matchless N/G 15 CS

4.00 - 18 Dunlop Trials Universal style in a decent compound for road use

There are probably quite a few more besides

In terms of British motorcycles, there is no real problem in getting tyres to fit in the 3.25 or 3.50 x 19 sizes generally found. The problem is that they generally look a bit modern and are a little too road-biased.

If you had a copy of the old Dunlop Universal or Good Year Extra Grip especially in 3.25 then I'm sure you'd have a market.

Would you or anyone have a pic of a of the old Dunlop Universal or Good Year Extra Grip ??? Thanks for your help

I must confess to having viewed the question in terms of WW2 WD motorcycles. 20" tyres are outside of my experience and in view of the sporting and exclusive nature of the machines that they were fitted to, I would have expected that a replacement would be available if it was viable.

The semi off-road nature of 1930s WD tyres is what makes them difficult to find.

Most post-war tyres have the thin rain-water 'sipes' which make them look out of period.

Rob van den Brink's WD16H site has a page with photographs of various WD tyres.

http://www.wdnorton.nl/Tyres.htm

I have a pair of OE 1939 dated Good-Years if you want detailed photos.

• 4 weeks later...