Mystery Object No.95

fv1609

Practice use of blasting charges ie pole charges before Normandy landings?

Yes, well done!

These were dummy fortifications on what I think was called Blue Beach 2. This was principally the embarkation point up stream of Crow Point for the practice landings on the seaward side up to Saunton & Woolacoombe.

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

Some landing area fortifications at Saunton Sands.

DSCF0244.jpg

DSCF0245.jpg

I bought a book, which I have now lost. But that explained the local history in some detail. I read that were plans to requisition villages near this coastline so that these front line troops gained experience in some in-land fighting as well. But it seems the villages were not requisition after all as it was realised that most of these troops were not going to survive to get very far inland. Rather sobering, that it was all realised at that stage.

Thanks for putting those photos up Clive. It looks as if the sea will have removed most of the evidence before too long which is a shame as these are historically important as well as being a memorial to the troops.

Thanks for putting those photos up Clive. It looks as if the sea will have removed most of the evidence before too long which is a shame as these are historically important as well as being a memorial to the troops.

I went into the Braunton Museum hoping to see some archive pictures of how it all looked at the time or at least immediately afterwards. Although their were some interesting US training films disappointing that there were few archive photos.

There a few & some sketch drawings done in 1947 in this book I bought:

http://rtbassbooks.com/THIRD.html

Says £15, I bought mine for £10 & it is advertised elsewhere for that. An interesting little read. Although NGRs are given for remains of structures, without a personal GPS I was unable to tie up what I saw with the book.

A little off topic but a farmer friend of mine is called Braunton and the family all come from the village of the same name. His late father was a wonderful character, broad Devon accent and looked as if he might have been the model for John Bull.:-D

A little off topic but a farmer friend of mine is called Braunton and the family all come from the village of the same name. His late father was a wonderful character, broad Devon accent and looked as if he might have been the model for John Bull.:-D

I do cringe when I hear some actors doing a multipurpose "Westcountry accent" that doesn't fit in with any regions I've ever heard. Devon accents are rarely heard on the media.

I remember an old Devon farmer telling me how he cooked toast:

"When ees broon ees cooked, when ees black ees buggered"

I spent the first 25 years of my life in Devon & can remember Slapton Sands in the 1950s with little vegetation, just charred trees. it wasn't until later years that stories of loses & corpses secretly buried & moved etc

How the hell did Degsy get that!!:???:???:???

Sudden flash of inspiration:rofl:

But when I saw Roop's reply I thought I'd made a boo boo and he was correct.

Edited by Degsy

I do cringe when I hear some actors doing a multipurpose "Westcountry accent" that doesn't fit in with any regions I've ever heard. Devon accents are rarely heard on the media.

I remember an old Devon farmer telling me how he cooked toast:

"When ees broon ees cooked, when ees black ees buggered"

I spent the first 25 years of my life in Devon & can remember Slapton Sands in the 1950s with little vegetation, just charred trees. it wasn't until later years that stories of loses & corpses secretly buried & moved etc

Yes 'ees buggered' seemed to crop up quite frequently when talking to Charlie always accompanied by a broad grin even when it was a minor disaster when we were trying to make something work.